• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

opinions on Dealer NSX

I've been considering an NSX for a while... it's a bit of an expensive purchase for me, but my Eclipse GT hasn't been as satisfying as my MR2 SC used to be, so...

Anyway, I'll get a VIN tomorrow, but anyone have any opinions on this? http://www.autobility.com/vehicle_pages/02180.htm

The Power Sunroof worries me the most as I assume it was added on - the dealer said it looked factory, however. I wonder if it hurt the rigidity, though...

Of course, a glass roof was what I wanted in an NSX :)

Thumbs down on the sunroof, IMO. It's not factory. Hold out for a manual trans unless you specifically want the auto. You can search the forums to find several long winded discussion about manual vs auto.

You should be able to negotiate a real discount for this car, considering the dealer has it listed as a four cylinder
smile.gif

Holy crap! Run as fast as you can away from this car........ Spend some time here on this forum reading all the FAQ'a and forum posts. You'll start to get the right idea of what to look for. A sunroof in an NSX is just absolutely the dumbest thing someone could do. If you want the open feeling, get a 95+ NSX-T. That thing is scary.

I agree with the comments above.
The car obviously has been butchered (sunroof) and the dealer could use a little education too (4 cyl w/ auto trans?)

<Jedi Mind Trick> This is not the car you are looking for </Jedi Mind Trick>

Seriously, keep looking. There are lots of nice 91-94 NSXes around that are available at reaonable prices. You'll find what you are looking for sooner or later.

Originally posted by Bryan:
Thumbs down on the sunroof, IMO. It's not factory. Hold out for a manual trans unless you specifically want the auto. You can search the forums to find several long winded discussion about manual vs auto.

You should be able to negotiate a real discount for this car, considering the dealer has it listed as a four cylinder
smile.gif

But a fast four cylinder, right?
smile.gif

I am definitely on the auto side, though the manual shift mode on my Eclipse has grown in appeal. The fact that the top isn't glass in a T also discourages me.

Of course, there is the fact that it appears to be the only 93 black/ivory auto made - one of a kind :)

Now, if someone had a 95+ T automatic white with a black roof (which they never made) or even a 95+ coupe white w/black roof (looks like none made) I'd look at it :))

[This message has been edited by wilsonp (edited 28 June 2002).]

>>Now, if someone had a 95+ T automatic white with a black roof (which they never made) or even a 95+ coupe white w/black roof (looks like none made) I'd look at it :))

Huh? You can have the roof painted for a few hundred bucks. You're letting that get in the way of a $40,000+ purchase? Get serious.

Originally posted by Soichiro:
>>Now, if someone had a 95+ T automatic white with a black roof (which they never made) or even a 95+ coupe white w/black roof (looks like none made) I'd look at it :))

Huh? You can have the roof painted for a few hundred bucks. You're letting that get in the way of a $40,000+ purchase? Get serious.

Would you really recommend painting the roof? My experience with paint jobs (after my car's been hit) hasn't been too good compared to factory original...

Then you are going to the wrong paint shop. It's all a matter of $$$. Our show car has paint on it better than any factory paint job in the world.

Hmmm...

Factory paint can be baked onto the car's body panels at high temperatures, before the plastics and other components are added. Once the car is built, it's impossible to achieve the same quality of paint without dissembling and reassembling the car (and even then, it's tough to match the quality control and environmental conditions of the factory paint booths).

A trained body shop expert can easily spot a conventional aftermarket paint job (such as a roof repainting), even one that's done properly by a top-notch shop.

Perhaps you have additional techniques and methods for your show cars (like stripping the entire car) that are not normally done by most body shops...?

Originally posted by FurBall:
Then you are going to the wrong paint shop. It's all a matter of $$$. Our show car has paint on it better than any factory paint job in the world.

Oh, so your shop can surpass the 27-step paint process the NSX goes through? I think not.

Vytas

Well, this is an interesting point that I'd like to get in on. It seems that a good number of people believe that the factory paint job is the best, and that any aftermarket paint job lags in quality.

There are also the folks with repainted cars that often say the repaint looks better than the factory job.

Which is it? As someone that is very unhappy with my current factory paint job, getting my car repainted is a high priority. From what some of the people on this forum say, the only way to "do it right" would be the Honda refresh plan... :

I'd like to hear what pbassjo says. He's our resident body shop expert, and knows the business, inside and out.

At my shop we use to have a 90 step paint process but then I moved the booth closer to the mixing room.

[This message has been edited by pbassjo (edited 28 June 2002).]

Sorry to be such a wise a**.
When I saw my first NSX I thought it had the best paint job from a factory built car that I had ever seen. I stared really hard to find a flaw on that car (red) and was struck how perfect it was. Over the years the bar is constantly being raised and the finish on cars keeps getting better and better. The finish on the new Hyundais and other entry level new vehicles are not far in appearance from current high end vehicles.
Ken is right, a expert can spot a repaint no matter how well done and, they often are redone at the factory and that can be spotted too.
You can get a perfect finish in the field but it unlikely to get a perfect overall "job".
Where they fail is in the little details in preparation that can be done in a consistant,controlled setting that exists on a assembly line. The factory still makes mistakes but painting only one type of car all day, day after day in a environment set up just for one type of car or even panel is not what collision shops do.
They do every type and shape of car, every type of color (and how they have reacted to age/sun etc.), texture, patina, with the same two or three guns that the painter prefers and all of this as quickly as possible.
It's tough to match the finish on a NSX and if it wasn't then everyone would be doing it.
Burble is it the fact that your paint is worn or that it was a bad job straight from the dealer? I have seen poor oem paint on vettes and the like but I haven't seen a poor paint job on a factory painted NSX.

[This message has been edited by pbassjo (edited 28 June 2002).]

Originally posted by pbassjo:
Burble is it the fact that your paint is worn or that it was a bad job straight from the dealer? I have seen poor oem paint on vettes and the like but I haven't seen a poor paint job on a factory painted NSX.

Neither have I. Aside from repaints (obviously), the biggest faults I have seen on NSX finishes are "road rash" (the accumulation of tiny pits and chips on the front clip and hood, which is VERY common and often but not always depends on mileage); swirl marks on improperly washed/detailed cars; and fade (although I must admit the only NSX factory paint I've seen that was really badly faded was on Todd B's car with 200K+ miles). Presumably none of these problems were on the paint as it came from the factory.

The paint on my car is worn. Not knowing the proper terms to use, it looks as if the clear coat on the roof has been "worn down" in 5-6 places, and the paint below is "oxidizing"? (white speckles in the paint). Also, the paint surface at these points feels "rough".

There were also a large number of scratches and scrapes in my NSX when I bought it - unfortunately, the most "exotic" car I was familiar with before the NSX was the f-body and Corvette, and I used what I knew to buy my first NSX. Now that I know more, I had my Mom hold out for a better NSX when she got hers, and I feel that it worked well, and was still within her price range.

The roof is starting to remind me of the late '80s, early '90s cars you see with no paint on the hood/roof. I know that waxing the paint is supposed to extend how long the paint lasts; however, where I am at now, I don't see anything saving me.

I wish I could see your car in person. I've seen what you are describing on many cars but not on Japanese cars unless they were refinished after the initial factory paint.
Texas/Florida/AZ sun is much tougher on paint than what we get here in N.Y.
Sounds like your car will need to have this paint removed before you can refinish again.
A new silver paint job is going to really change how you feel about your car but it is also going to change how your wallet feels.
It's 120+ hours of labor for a really complete overall resurfacing/refinishing.

I think it might even be harder, since I decided that I like the black roof, and want to keep the 2-color paint job.
smile.gif

I could try and get someone with a digital camera to help me out, but I'm not sure who that I know owns one.

What's the rate for 120+ hours of labor (ballpark)? What about the paint itself?

There is a completly stock Blk NSX here with horrible FACTORY paint. The roof and B pillars are completly ruined(the clear is almost non-existant). I thought it was a early 91 model by its condition, but its a 93 with only 30K on the odometer. I will say that the car has been sitting outside on the side of the road for about 3 years and only gets driven about twice a month(the guy has had it since new and said he just doesnt drive it any more). He said he was selling it, but he wants 37K? Interior is in rough shape too. I had my car stripped and repainted and the finish is 100% better than I had before. I am very happy. If I had to choose between an NSX with bad factory paint or one with excellent aftermarket paint I would choose the latter. Paint can only look good for so long and the paint on a 91 is 11 years old.

Originally posted by SNDSOUL:
If I had to choose between an NSX with bad factory paint or one with excellent aftermarket paint I would choose the latter.

So would I, but...

Originally posted by SNDSOUL:
Paint can only look good for so long and the paint on a 91 is 11 years old.

I disagree. If paint is well cared for, it can look good indefinitely. Proper care includes keeping it clean and putting on a protective coat of your favorite detailing product, cleaning any stains or droppings when they occur, and keeping it out of the sun (either in a garage or under a cover).

I've seen plenty of '91 NSXs with original paint that look terrific.

Well, that must have been the problem with mine. I've been using the Meguiar's 3 step process + the extra "clear coat in a bottle" at the end since I've had the car (about 2.5 years). However, during the day at work it sits out in the sun, and during the weekends it (used to) sits outside in the sun - the garage was filled with too much "other stuff".

I guess there are two extremes to go with this - I don't want to ruin the value of the car, which many people say that a repaint will do. However, looking at a newer NSX (like Aaron's 1997 blue) to get a better paint job also seems excessive.

Are there any reasonable solutions? I'm open to suggestions.

Originally posted by burbel:
I guess there are two extremes to go with this - I don't want to ruin the value of the car, which many people say that a repaint will do. However, looking at a newer NSX (like Aaron's 1997 blue) to get a better paint job also seems excessive.

Are there any reasonable solutions? I'm open to suggestions.

If the factory paint is truly in horrible shape, then a repaint will not ruin the value of the car; it may even raise it slightly (but highly unlikely that it would raise it by the full cost of the repaint).

I would suggest taking it to an expert detailer AND to an expert body shop, and asking what option(s) each would recommend and how much each would cost. See what they say.

i got a new paint job on my 240sx not too long ago, less than a year ago. TOTAL paint job from back to front, inside and out, so i can't realy judge if factory is better or whtever. all i know is that my paint is magnificent.
mendarnell1.jpg

thats it next to a stock 240sx.

anyway, i think that most people make the mistake of not taking care of their paint beyond washing and waxing. if you want your paint to last forever, then you should clay bar your car at least two times a year. just use the very fine one. what it does is picks out imperfections such as oxidation. depending on how long between times of clay-barring, your paint can literaly change color, to a deep darker shade. i use Zymol wax too, it makes my car like velvet
smile.gif

------------------
Paul~
[email protected]

Originally posted by Markbert:

<Jedi Mind Trick> This is not the car you are looking for </Jedi Mind Trick>

Seriously, keep looking. There are lots of nice 91-94 NSXes around that are available at reaonable prices. You'll find what you are looking for sooner or later.

I hope so - apparently someone else wanted a sunroof :-(

Unfortunately, autos aren't as plentiful :)

Burbel,
The second color on the roof doesn't add that much to the project.
Materials should be about $850.00
Mulitply 120 times the body shop hourly labor rate in your area, add in the materials and taxes and you should get a fair idea of the cost.

Back