• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ORP Review- Oregon Raceway Park

Myself, Eddie, Adam, Wil, TiDave, Cameron, and the whole PCA PNW gang had an opportunity to run the new race track in our region, ORP (Oregon Raceway Park) this past weekend in Grassvalley, OR. After hearing for weeks about how kick-ass this place was from 2 and 4 wheel enthusiasts alike, I had to see what all the fuss was about for myself!

Ready for a change, I left the NSX at home, and instead drove Eddie's Adrenaline Racing / American Honda SSB National Racing Civic SI during the instructor sessions - which was a refreshing, fantastic, learning experience for me (thanks Ed). When a car doesn't accelerate, stop, or turn to this extent... but you have to make it do it anyway... and deliver fast laps for 30 minutes... and not deliver excuses where that 2 second talent gap is coming from on a new course... well you get the picture!

I further scored seat time in a super-charged Atom, Boxter S, 350Z, and a Spec Miata (which was my all time favorite- In fact I liked Elizabeth's SM so much on this course yesterday.. I've decided that my new years resolution is to build one for myself to run here!!).

Here are the high-lights:
  • It's a fun club track. John Rating: Fun: 11/10. Overall: 8/10 - so you won't be disappointed. I found it to be more similar to a roller coaster than a typical race circuit. If you are bored with flat tracks, then this is a refreshing change of venue. With the isolation, rolling hills, and clouds- it is also very scenic and a departure from the super concrete monoliths.
  • It's relatively low-speed in either CW or CCW configuration. CW lets you experience the negative energy in the bowl and half pipe. CCW feels like a hill climb.
  • The drastic elevation changes, off-camber corners, bowl / half pipe in the north loop, etc... make for a very technical, challenging course. It's a true drivers course- and will reward fast drivers more than fast cars in most contexts. It also rewards a huge set of cajonies in some sections (I might even wet my pants in the wet here). Suspension and aero tuning over HP. An NSX would be at home here.
  • Once approved for competition by SCCA- strategy will be key. It's relatively narrow, not wide- with a lot of bottle necks. You'll have to time those passes / strategize your race craft carefully to come out ahead. Qualifying positions will really count for something here.
  • Not to scare anyone off but like PR, this track may ask for your wallet if you leave the course in most sections and turn out to not be Michael Shumacker. In fact, with the nearest life-lift chopper 30+ minutes away it might ask for your life too. It might not be the best learning track in that respect. If you are a hot foot- line, line, line... smooth transitions, and masterful technique over the basics are going to be essential here.
Note that the current facilities lack FIA curbing, run-off, a paved road, water, electric, etc...and it gets cold / windy as all get out. Leave your easy-up at home because anything not bolted down is going to get blown away!! Nearest civilization including gas is 30 minutes away in Biggs so plan to bring those fuel jugs! If you are toting- watch the cross-winds on the trailers too, we found it to be a little crazy out there.

orp_track_map.jpg

Last edited:
Dude, it would be so cool if you could post on prime in advance some of these cool events. I know me and Fowler would love to sign up too.

+1, I would have joined you guys, (especially it's not in the end of the month) as a lone nsx can't drive that far without backup vehicle/ caravan.

Sorry. It was last minute. I also knew that if you want to track with ORPCA then you need to have an annual inspection done on your car in advance of an event. The form need be completed / signed-off by a designated shop. In general, if you want to hit an event I would suggest to do what you need to, then sign up well in advance (none of this last minute sign-up stuff we used to do) as the events are getting booked early.

If you are interested, drop me a line and I'll get you whatever you need. The current track schedule is posted on http://www.motorsportreg.com/

The only ORP events I see left for the balance of the season is with Palatov Motorsports combined bike/car. Maybe we could go back and hit one of their days? I wouldn't mind taking the NSX back there and getting some reference times for the course lest I can get in a clean lap.

Last edited:
I tried to contact those losers via e-mail and phone call about renting the track for a day...so far no reply. :confused: :mad: yeah, i guess we'll have to sign up with this guy Morgan Palatov.

Patients young grass hoppa.....
Bret Blackstone is a busy guy, and a very nice guy too.

He's usually out on the field for most of the day working on the track. As you probably already know it's only about half finished, besides the asphalt it's self, there's a ton more work that still needs to happen before it's complete. When he's not building, doing maintenance, or working with contractors, he's often coordinating events being held at the track. He may not be the fastest to respond, but I'm sure he'll return your call or email within a few days or so.

I can't wait to get out there to check it out myself too.

Regards,
Charles

Last edited:
ok Charles, i'll wait. Its only been 7 days since first contact. I will try calling this dude everyday til i get some questions answered.

Farran, i am glad we spoke...we'll sign up w/Palatov event. I'll tell you...one of these days i'm going to organize these event myself, and no one will be left on the side.

if anything, you and fowler should be the best person organizing events. Most of us "organizer" in the past are really lack of Time, money, effort... With myself being extremely lack of all the above......:tongue:

This year's summer event that we need to look into

1. nsx meet BBQ
2. nsx track day (seems like you are working on it)
3. nsx vs S2ki go kart challenge, where did Dan go?
4. Mt. Baker drive with S2ki, wonder where had Dean been, if he decided not to work on it this year, someone should take over the torch; the S2ki members already talked about it

ok Charles, i'll wait. Its only been 7 days since first contact. I will try calling this dude everyday til i get some questions answered.

Farran, i am glad we spoke...we'll sign up w/Palatov event. I'll tell you...one of these days i'm going to organize these event myself, and no one will be left on the side.

Seven days Arnon??? Really??? I'll contact him myself and see what's up! And if that's the case I'll contact the owners too and let them know what's going on at their track. Bret's (General Manager of ORP) the son of one of the owners of both ORP and Acura of Lynnwood.

Once we settle on dates for our track event Sponsored by Acura of Lynnwood at ORP, rest assured EVERYONE will be invited! :cool:
However we have some other things brewing that the track event is tieing into that we are trying to coordinate it with. Now it may not happen until next year becuase of delays with CTE. Timing is looking like a bit of an issue currently. :frown:

Between me, Fowler and Charles, we can host BBQ this summer, those two got deep pockets. :biggrin:

We are thinking about hosting Fowler BBQ July 25th. More details to follow.:wink:

Morgan Palatov is a girl.
And my ex girlfriend ...

But anyway, I hear the Palatov track days are an absolute circus and not always a safe group to run. I heard rumors of the cornerworkers being local kids. (scary)

I may be running one of our AR track days out there in the next month or so, so you might keep an eye out for that :)

Last edited:
Morgan Palatov is a girl.
And my ex girlfriend ...

But anyway, I hear the Palatov track days are an absolute circus and not always a safe group to run. I heard rumors of the cornerworkers being local kids. (scary)

I may be running one of our AR track days out there in the next month or so, so you might keep an eye out for that :)

Sorry, I never met the guy. And I don't understand the girlfriend part?:confused: But he seems nice on the e-mail, I will find out comes July 27th. I can usually read the person from first impression for myself, 100% accurate. Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry, I never met the guy. And I don't understand the girlfriend part?:confused: But he seems nice on the e-mail, I will find out comes July 27th. I can usually read the person from first impression for myself, 100% accurate. Thanks for the heads up.

Really dude, so what did you read me from our first counter?

ah shoot... the July 27th is my day off and it's after Sunday, so that fits my schedule well. I already registered. Sorry Eddie...

Oh btw, I met the cool guy Bob Buddy which we talked several times on miata.net . Turns out that he know Eddie n John H. He said hi to you guys.

Morgan Palatov is not a guy. Don't know how to be any more clear.
Morgan Palatov=girl.

She is also an ex girlfriend of mine.

Make sense? :)

if anything, you and fowler should be the best person organizing events. Most of us "organizer" in the past are really lack of Time, money, effort... With myself being extremely lack of all the above......:tongue:

This year's summer event that we need to look into

1. nsx meet BBQ
2. nsx track day (seems like you are working on it)
3. nsx vs S2ki go kart challenge, where did Dan go?
4. Mt. Baker drive with S2ki, wonder where had Dean been, if he decided not to work on it this year, someone should take over the torch; the S2ki members already talked about it

I didn't go anywhere. As far as go kart event, I am kinda slaggin behind on what's up to date. I will find out more later since you mentioned.

Back