• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ouch!

I was driving south on Rt 287 in NJ, just below the Rt 80 interchange, around 10 am this morning when traffic began to scatter in front of me. It looked like a car lost a glass targa top in the road - large piles of busted tempered glass. Suddenly, the frame shot out from under the car in front of me. :eek: I had dropped back far enough to do some fancy maneuvering, but there was a car next to me in the left lane. The frame caught the right front of my NSX. When there was room to pull on the shoulder, I stopped and found a deep gouge in the right front corner of the bumber and the fascia piece below it.

The tire is OK, parking lights are OK, and nothing underneath the car was hit. So, its ugly, but all superficial damage.

Because its a simple paint job, I stopped by a local body shop with a good reputation for an estimate. This was not the way I had planned to get rid of those stone chips!:frown:

Sorry to hear that Frank, but glad to hear there was no structural damage. Hopefully a quick re-paint of that section will have you back to new.

Frank
Glad you were unhurt. The damage can be repaired :frown:
For two weeks I have been bobbing and weaving around metal on 287 down by Edison. Spotted a car hauler on Thursday carrying several scrapped cars one minute later the hood of a car was flying through the air toward my TL and I moved out of the way but the guy behind me didnt and ran over the metal taking out tires and who knows what else. There should be a regulation to prevent hauling junkers without being secured to prevent this sort of junk distribution on the road.

I got the estimate - $911 with tax. The shop wants to remove the two pieces before paining so that there is no overspray on the rubber at the hood line, etc. So, there's a few hours of disassembly/assembly labor in there. I may ask them if they would work with me and I take the parts off and bring them in. I know they will want the car there to do the best color match, but it could save me some $$.

I also plan to get an estimate from another shop with an excellent reputation. Let's see if the financial pain is any less.

As to all your comments, yes, I'm sure glad there was no personal injury as well as no structural or tire damage. If that metal frame was a little higher off the ground .....:eek:

I have to admit, dodging parts at 65 mph sure did get the old heart pumping!

I grew up in Denville, NJ and have been that route 1000's of times. All I can say is that the West Coast of Fl is pretty darn nice. I don't miss the traffic on Rt's 80, 280, 287, 10, 46 or the parkway heading to the Jersey shore. I do miss the best restaurants in the world, snow and the Spring and Fall seasons.

Hope everything works out well for you.

Frank:

Do you mind disclosing which repair shop(s)? I need to have a lip painted on my Integra Type R and would prefer a local shop in Somerset County.

Thanks!
Rene

Joe Lamoriello is the #1 choice, but for this simple job, its a pain bringing the car up/back this time of year.

The local shops I favor:
Robbie's, Rt 46, Dover NJ
Doug Lowrie, Rt 202, Bernardsville NJ

I got the estimate - $911 with tax. The shop wants to remove the two pieces before paining so that there is no overspray on the rubber at the hood line, etc. So, there's a few hours of disassembly/assembly labor in there. I may ask them if they would work with me and I take the parts off and bring them in. I know they will want the car there to do the best color match, but it could save me some $$.

I also plan to get an estimate from another shop with an excellent reputation. Let's see if the financial pain is any less.

As to all your comments, yes, I'm sure glad there was no personal injury as well as no structural or tire damage. If that metal frame was a little higher off the ground .....:eek:

I have to admit, dodging parts at 65 mph sure did get the old heart pumping!

When I got bumper paint done I took it off for them, cut a lot of cost out. If they need to match paint you can just bring down the car without a front bumper on, you'll still have a rebar for the trip, not elegant I know but it works :-D.

I got the estimate - $911 with tax.

mmm.. Thought you had an NSX, not a Porsche!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

Glad you are OK.

Your story reminded me of a time in the winter I was on the Merritt Parkway in CT. At 70 MPH, a completely frozen large deer carcass came out from underneath the van in front of me. All I could do was go straight, and pray I landed safely. My car was literally launched by the frozen "ramp"!!!! One of the most terrifying rides to work I ever had.

Regards,
LarryB

Back