• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Outer tie rod replacement issue

I have a 92 NSX. The boot on my front left outer tie rod ripped so I purchased another outer tie rod (Aftermarket, but OEM fitment). When I received it, I noticed the outer end did not fit because it is missing a bushing? Below is the OEM one from my car with the bushing (right below the threads). Thinking that I ordered the wrong part, I looked around and all of them are missing the bushing. I looked at the OEM part #53560-SL0-A01 and it too does not have the bushing. I found a used OEM on Ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/91-05-Acura...e:Acura|Model:NSX&hash=item419876a9df&vxp=mtr) one as an example and it too does not have the bushing. It looks different. Am I supposed to remove the bushing somehow and swap it over? It looks like it is one piece with the pivot ball. I looked at the manual and the photo does not look like below and does not mention anything about that bushing. If I could get some help in the right direction to the proper outer tie rod or if I have to do something else, that would highly appreciated!

Thanks.

20150826_000607.jpg20150826_000242.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

After some searching around, found that I have to push out the bushing:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/154886-Original-outer-tie-rod-different-from-new-OEM

- - - Updated - - -

20150826_021632.jpg20150826_022519.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you researched. The bushing is part of the knuckle. Sometimes they get stuck to the tie rod, mine did not fortunately.

yes if you don't take the tie rod out correctly with lube, etc. they almost always pop out with the rod.

and remember this bushing if you ever need a knuckle used... look close to see if its still in there if it not then buy a different one.

The real issue here is that the incorrect tool was used. If you have the correct press tool the bushing stays in;).....

Although many folks do not like it, in this case a "pickle fork" of the proper size works well. Since the tie rod end is being replaced, the fork will easily remove this, with the understanding the tie rod end will not be reusable.

My $.02

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
The real issue here is that the incorrect tool was used. If you have the correct press tool the bushing stays in;).....

Although many folks do not like it, in this case a "pickle fork" of the proper size works well. Since the tie rod end is being replaced, the fork will easily remove this, with the understanding the tie rod end will not be reusable.

My $.02

Regards,
LarryB

Yes, you are correct. I am used to tapping things with a hammer :biggrin:. I actually do have a tie rod removal tool, but thought a couple of taps to the tie rod would pop it loose without taking bushings along with it. Lesson learned, I will use the tool on the right side.

I don't want to open a dead thread, just add my 2 cents as I hade the same issue last night.

A couple of days before starting I sprayed some wd40 and let it soak.
Don't know if it helped or not, I guess not because it was a real pita to get the tie rod end of the car.

First I tried with a regular removal tool, nothing happend.
Then I tried with a pickle fork, still nothing.
I even tried with a small amount of heat, no difference.

I ended up cutting the tie rod to get the ball out and then use my bauta ball joint separator.

The pictures will show my regular tool and the big one.

It was messy but it all sorted out well and nothing broke.

/Patrik

received_1548782271849778.jpg 20170809_134159.jpg 20170808_225627.jpg

Back