• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Overrated? - Seating position and forward view

MvM

Legendary Member
Underrated? - Seating position and forward view

One of the things that always surprises people when they get in the NSX with me is the seating position and forward view in the NSX.

Usually, people are surprised at how much room they have for their legs.
Even more, they are especially surprised by the low window line and the unobstructed forward view from the NSX. Admittedly, by far, most people who get into the car are not used to any kind of serious sportscar and drive the usual BMW, Audi, Volkswagen or similar car.

At the same time, one of the things I always notice is just how DEEP you are seated in most cars these days and how high the dashboard and window line often is.
Many times, the dasboard is blocking out a large part of the forward view in many cars. Maybe people feel more secure by sitting in a bathtub but I like so see what goes on around me.

Even serious modern sportscars seem to have this deficiency. Granted, I am not a big guy, but even if I would be, I would prefer the clear and unobstructed view from the NSX over the partly blocked out view from most other cars.
Personally, I think the view from the NSX is an underrated designmark of the NSX.

Last edited:
I agree. The view is awesome and feels as though you are one with the road. Makes my other cars feel like I'm driving an SUV. (G35 coupe and M45):biggrin:

It's been describe as "like sitting on the tip of an arrow", I don't think that any other car that I have driven give you the same feeling.

This is one of the most remarkable aspect of driving the NSX.

Bram

Maybe some people like to be reminded of how big their engine is, so they like staring at the hood of their car while they drive. :biggrin:

hmm, never really paid much attention to this but come to think of it its pretty true.

All I own are trucks...tahoe,F150,F450 and in those cars you sit pretty high up and so you get a pretty good view of the front.

I dont know that i would say that it is overrated but for us over 6' tall i wouldnt say it is anything amazing either. To be honest i still havent gotten use to it. I kind of feel like i am too tall for the car even though i fit in it just fine. I constantly find myself trying to bury myself lower in the seat or adjust it lower for more head room but thats just the way the car is and i havent bumped my head yet even though i have maybe 3".

Its not like you can see the front edges of the bumper so i dont really find it any better or worse than many other sports cars ive owned since you still have to feel the nose to park and parking in one of the most unenjoyable things you can do in the NSX with no power steering and big rims and tires up front but once you get it rolling at a decent speed its pure pleasure.

Unfortunately for me i have a driveway turn around that requires full lock with an incline, trying to snake it in the garage around two other cars can be a challenge sometimes.

Unfortunately for me i have a driveway turn around that requires full lock with an incline, trying to snake it in the garage around two other cars can be a challenge sometimes.

That's EAZY!
Just sounds like you need to move to a more NSX friendly home to fully enjoy parking it :biggrin:

I enjoy the great front view of the road, and also think other cars feel like trucks in comparison (911, G35). However for me, the dead pedal and foot room isn't all that great. I have a size 11 shoe, and if I try to use the dead pedal my foot is only partially on it, or has to be angled on its side; space is kind of hindered over there. In comparison my old MKIV supra had a great dead pedal and plenty of foot room.

I enjoy the great front view of the road, and also think other cars feel like trucks in comparison (911, G35). However for me, the dead pedal and foot room isn't all that great. I have a size 11 shoe, and if I try to use the dead pedal my foot is only partially on it, or has to be angled on its side; space is kind of hindered over there. In comparison my old MKIV supra had a great dead pedal and plenty of foot room.

I feel the same way. The first time i drove an NSX was at an F-car dealership and the sales guy just said "i guess this is your first sports car" which it is not. I have owned a MKIV, 300z and a Corvette and all of them have more foot room.

In fact, i have to wear Puma driving shoes when i drive the NSX because most of my other shoes are too big and catch other pedals with the sides of the shoe. When i have to go somewhere in the X in dress shoes i have to drive shoe less.

I think the word here is not "Overrated", but "Overlooked". Once you sit in other cars and then sit in the NSX you realize that this is often overlooked. The cockpit view design is one of the best.

I think the word here is not "Overrated", but "Overlooked". Once you sit in other cars and then sit in the NSX you realize that this is often overlooked. The cockpit view design is one of the best.

THANK YOU! because I was trying to figure out why the title says the opposite of the actual post.

Anyway, the driving position is one of the things that makes the NSX so fun. When people ask me, I tell them its sort of like street louge... you are so low and have such a good view of the road that it feels like you are on a sled... and when you go 40, it feels like 70... because you see the road pass right in front of your eyes. You really get a sense of speed in this car and that makes it very fun. When I get into a 5 series, I feel like I am in an armored vehicle sitting low peeking out over the top of the motor to see the road.

THANK YOU! because I was trying to figure out why the title says the opposite of the actual post.
Actually, what I ment to ask was IF my personal opinion of the wide, clear and unobstructed view from the NSX might not have been just the overrated opinion of a NSX fan trying to look for positive points on the car when comparing it to other, faster, more modern sportscars.

But your point is well taken AND I have adjusted the title of this thread accordingly.

I haven't even been graced with the thought of sitting in the driver's seat of an NSX, but I do know that when I bought my Z, I had (have) a difficult time seeing over the huge hood.

Supposedly, Honda is also one of the best car companies for pedestrians because of the trend for all of their cars to have low hood lines.

I can't wait to get one of these.

I still remember borrowing my stepmoms new 91 Honda Civic 4 dr. the absolute first thing that put a smile on my face was how I felt I was driving from the front bumper! It is NOT just the NSX, but since start-up, Honda designed their cars to be like this. The low seating position, plus the wide, close view of the road instilled confidence. BTW the next thing I loved was the clutch/shifter. The mid-engine or rear-engine design on F1, Champcar, ALMS etc is not "just" for balance, it is for the "feel" the driver gets of the car by sitting up front, with no view obstructions.

I always notice is just how DEEP you are seated in most cars these days and how high the dashboard and window line often is.

This feature is called the beltline.

For some reason (American's) like high beltlines, especially women. It drives me nuts, but people like the "feeling" of protection and is probably related to the SUV culture.

The cardinal rule of vehicle sales is that it is almost impossible sell a "guys car" to a women, but you can ALWAYS get guys to buy a "woman's car".

Just google "high beltline", it is complained by [typically] guys, but is consistently advertised as a positive feature.

We'll never see a high production car with a low beltline for the foreseeable future. Just small production runs for the few guys that do not need "permission" to buy a car.

Anyway, the driving position is one of the things that makes the NSX so fun. When people ask me, I tell them its sort of like street louge... you are so low and have such a good view of the road that it feels like you are on a sled... and when you go 40, it feels like 70... because you see the road pass right in front of your eyes. You really get a sense of speed in this car and that makes it very fun.

(Resurrecting old thread by MvM)

I have been recently illuminating on why driving NSX is such a different, unique experience from any other sports cars I have owned/driven. Its acceleration, handling characteristics, and engine/intake notes are excellent. However, many other sports cars also offer those. Rather, I believe it's the driving position of the NSX - how you sit so low, yet you have the panoramic view with very low beltline - that makes the driving experience so exceptional.

I have not gotten that from other mid-engine/rear-engine cars such as Porsches, Ferraris, Audi R8... Lamborghini Huracan is close, but not quite. In Lotus Exige/Elise & Alfa Romeo 4C, I do sit really low, but don't get the similar panoramic view.

Are there other cars that provide the similar experience in terms of the driving position? The feeling of "you are sitting at the tip of the arrow" or "you are on a sled"? The second-gen NSX (never been inside one)? McLaren 570S? Or any sports cars from the 90s?

(Resurrecting old thread by MvM)
Are there other cars that provide the similar experience in terms of the driving position? The feeling of "you are sitting at the tip of the arrow" or "you are on a sled"? The second-gen NSX (never been inside one)? McLaren 570S? Or any sports cars from the 90s?

How about the McLaren F1... or Murray's latest, the T.50?
Those are the only two cars I would replace my NSX with -- if I could afford them.:smile:
H-

The F1 for sure. I sat in the F1 once in 2003 (didn't drive), and it provided the very similar view outward. I'm sure that the T.50 carries that over based on the pictures I have seen online. I wonder if other modern McLarens (570S, 720S, Senna, etc.) also got it. Did the gen 2 NSX lose that?

Back