• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Paint or not paint CF hood

paint the CF hood or not paint

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hello guys

I intend to purchase a used CF hood from Procar ( pricey piece) that has not been painted. The color of my car is silverstone yr 2000.

Should I expose the CF or paint it to match the rest of the car. Can't decide. Leave as is... it would look like RICER?

BTW, I already have DF hood, but fitment is not as good as I want it to be. I hope Procar hood might be better.

Your opinions please.

Thanks

Last edited:
So I guess the question is what do you want? Why are you buying the CF? For weight or look? I'm not sure what that particular hood looks like. On silver, I kind of like the look of a CF hood but it's really all up to you. If your car was 100% stock, I might go painted but for the additional cost to paint and due to the fact that you are not running stock anyway, show it off. As they say, "if you got it, flaunt it"

I would definitely start with CF only and drive around a bit. You could always paint it later. I always worry about paint match when there is not blending being done but they are getting pretty good at that these days.

If you leave the carbon exposed, be sure to clear it.

I have the Procar hood and will be painting the top only leaving the underside carbon fiber exposed (I like small hints of CF) I love benefits of CF parts including the look but IMO the hood is a large part that will stand out in light color cars and can be subtle on dark color cars (black) and may or may not contrast well unless it's paired up with more CF parts; Like others mentioned throw it on see how it flows and if it doesn't then have it painted.

So I guess the question is what do you want? Why are you buying the CF? For weight or look? I'm not sure what that particular hood looks like. On silver, I kind of like the look of a CF hood but it's really all up to you. If your car was 100% stock, I might go painted but for the additional cost to paint and due to the fact that you are not running stock anyway, show it off. As they say, "if you got it, flaunt it"

I would definitely start with CF only and drive around a bit. You could always paint it later. I always worry about paint match when there is not blending being done but they are getting pretty good at that these days.

Yes, I don't know what to do as the title said.

DF hood was bought many yrs ago, I had fitment problem with it and still have ( I got used to the look after a while). Procar has better CF exposure under the hood vs. DF.

I have seen local guys with Honda Civil with "cheaper" CF hood..........now I am thinking that I am one of those RICERs. LOL

- - - Updated - - -

I have the Procar hood and will be painting the top only leaving the underside carbon fiber exposed (I like small hints of CF) I love benefits of CF parts including the look but IMO the hood is a large part that will stand out in light color cars and can be subtle on dark color cars (black) and may or may not contrast well unless it's paired up with more CF parts; Like others mentioned throw it on see how it flows and if it doesn't then have it painted.

Is your car black? it would blend better than SilverStone color. Would you mind post the car?

Can't you get a bodyshop to make the df fit better?If not, only you know if spending the $ on the more expensive procar hood that you will want to paint(will stand out too much for your taste I think if left unpainted) will be money well spent in the search for a better fit.Having just a black carbon hood on an otherwise stock silverstone will make you want to start adding more black to balance the look.

It's currently black but in the process of a face lift (02 front with Procar's NSX-R hood) and color change to gunmetal, sorry no pics yet as I am figuring out the shade of gunmetal I will be going with, only have of my current setup which I had the Seibon CF hood on (now sold) and was planing on painting prior to going for the new front as I felt it was to large (in your face) for my taste.

since my body shop is the human body I defer to Joe as to his experience with the DF hoods on his customers cars.

I have never tried to bring it to the shop. They will probably unscrew the fenders and hinges to make it fit, and tamper it. The DF force hood is not that bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe a partial paint? Like Dhalsim?
CF looks so good that its a shame to think about painting over all of it.

That is the reason I wanted to create this thread to get your feedback.

Last edited:
Personally, I would paint it, but I'm also in the small camp of people who dislike the look of exposed carbon fiber.

There's definitely people that leave carbon exposed so that they can show off that they have a carbon piece. But to me and my personal style, if you paint carbon fiber, it's even more badass because you don't have to show off that you have a fancy hood, because you already know what's up.

It's kind of like expensive women's handbags. The cheap ones have LV plastered all over them, while the most expensive ones from the same company have almost no external badging.

Unless the car is black a full exposed carbon hood looks a little to racey and screams look at me. I'd leave the center section exposed and paint the rest.

I'd of taken that df hood to the shop and at least have them look at it. There's ways to fix everything and a good shop would mess with fenders and bumper to properly align it. Last resort would be cutting and filling.

Does your DF hood have the standard clear or the smoked clear? Both I believe were offered. The smoked clear is really really nice as is.

Does your DF hood have the standard clear or the smoked clear? Both I believe were offered. The smoked clear is really really nice as is.

The top of the hood is painted as I requested when it was shipped, it only exposes CF under the hood and it is clear. It was purchased directly from DF , not from a dealer. DF hood might be available for sale.

i have the same year car and color. paint it to match the car. it looks funny, unless you have the trunk and nsx-r spoiler to match.

Here's a scheme just about out of paint:

attachment.php

I left a couple scallops like on the GT-R and left a fair amount of CF to go with my mirrors, side vents, RWG and rear wing.

Here's a scheme just about out of paint:

attachment.php

I left a couple scallops like on the GT-R and left a fair amount of CF to go with my mirrors, side vents, RWG and rear wing.

That is a nice looking hood. Is it DF hood? Please post the picture of the car when it is done. I would like to see the entire car. Thank you for posting.

I would have to see it on the car, Not sure about the side lines left exposed. I like the way you did the scoop.

That is a nice looking hood. Is it DF hood? Please post the picture of the car when it is done. I would like to see the entire car. Thank you for posting.

DF hood #2. I'll post something up when it's done with pleasure.

I would have to see it on the car, Not sure about the side lines left exposed. I like the way you did the scoop.

The side lines will look pretty good I think. They are the rises where the flat middle of the hood rises to meet the fender tops so they are a blend of horizontal and vertical components.

Last edited:
Back