• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Paint Questions

So after 3 weeks, I just got my car back from the Acura dealer. Ended up having a whole bunch of stuff taken care of. To the tune of $5700. Figured as long as it is in, let's do it all. $2000 more than I planned but now there should be nothing questionable about the car.

The car is now headed to the body shop for some touch up. Now my question(s):

The car is a 1991. The roof has been painted red in the past to match the body. I think it looks good but wondering what others may think about getting it back to the original black? The car is not 100% stock, so originality is not of the most importance to me. But a nice clean look is.

Second, on the front end, I see that some are painting the middle vent black in the front to make it look more open. Is that actually what is being done? Being painted black or is that section being removed entirely? If it is being painted black, what does it look like in real life? I know it looks good in the pictures but what about standing 10 feet away? How does it look?

Lastly, My windows are tinted a very dark black. Too dark as i was stopped by the cops and they tested it with thier scanner and it failed the test. Thinking about taking the dark tint off an going lighter. Any pro's/con's???

Most of those bars in the front opening have been painted black. I'm thinking the same thing but will probably try it first in matte black vinyl, or black Plasti Dip.

I had mine painted black, looks good from any distance, and most won't even notice unless they are looking for it. Pretty sure Audax had his removed all together so you can ask and see if he has pictures.

My 91 NSX was bone stock. The vertical structures on the lower part of the radiator intake are black and the horizontal is red. Though I think if it were all black it would be more like the 02 grill. As for the roof of the car, I like the stock black. I think it gives the older NSX a lot of character especially if you go with the black grill. Just my.02

My 91 center bar is black. But then again, the rest of the car is also black.

As far as the roof goes, I really like the matching roof, especially in silver or red. But that really is a matter of personal preference. I think you should go with your preference of the OEM black.

I will be VERY interested to see what you do about your tint as I am pretty much in the same boat...only I haven't been checked yet. They check in Mississippi during inspections so I haven't bothered to get one of those and nobody seems to notice my lack of an inspection sticker. Too busy ogling the car, I suppose. Still, I'd like to go with a lighter tint but don't know how successful a shop would be in removing what's there now, especially without damaging the rear window defroster.

I bought my 92 and the previous owner painted the top to match the body. Although it looked good, I really thought I would like the black on red more. Wasn't sure so before I did an expensive paint job, I had someone vinyl wrap the top black just to make sure I really liked it. He did such a great job on the wrap that I just left it. Not even gonna bother to paint it. But in the end, I do like the black top more.

Back