• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Painting the black top

I am thinking of having the black top painted red to match the body. Just giving it a quick once over, I was wondering if any of you body shop experts out there have any insight on this. What needs to be removed for a nice finished result? WX stripping, rear window? how do you spray the pillar section that is below the fender line? Is the windshield molding removed? Or do people tape off most of it?

Thanks

I say don't do it. Our '05 is heading into the shop withinj a short time of arrival to get the top painted black. Looks much better, IMHO...

Ryan

I did it and Ive never been happier. I wanted a red/red top but couldnt afford it at the time and I also wanted a coupe. I paid $2800 for that and my 2002 rear valence. I replaced all the moldings and even took the windshield out and installed a new window gasket. I have pics of the process somewhere on here in the picture gallery. The car can easily be mistaken for a factory coupe. DO IT! but choose a great body shop... you get what you pay for.

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
..... The car can easily be mistaken for a factory coupe.....

Maybe because it is a factory coupe?
laugh.gif

Don't do it.

1. Just painting the roof and not blending into the other panels, it would be difficult to exactly match the colors.

2. You'll kill your resale value. I wouldn't buy a car that has been painted, especially if it was painted different than the factory color.

3. The black roof is unique on the NSX. Don't screw it up.

That '01 coupe was up for sale last year. The owner later decided to pull it off the market. I'd say he is a smart man for deciding to keep it. I'd love to have an NA2 coupe with the black roof. Maybe, if I get an NA2, I'd paint the roof black and then have a T with the original color scheme.

Regarding painting the black roof black - you'll probably get the "Don't do it" or "do it" from people who haven't done it and have. Personally, I like the black roof.

if you want to see black vs red top.

I was haunted with this decision also. So I decided in the JGTC event in which there was about 100 NSX on site.

Although my friend didnt like the red top at first. Seeing all the cars at one place changed our mind about the red top. In my opinion. Red top look a bit more modern. But I liked my friend's quote. " Red or black. dont really matter, it is still a NSX "

I went with Red top at my complete repaint.

attachment.php

attachment.php

JCTC scene was like this.. So you I can see all the combo. Take your pick. :eek:
attachment.php

Last edited:
I kinda agree with you, painting the top looks more up to date. But if you limo tint the windows and the rear hatch, the black top looks so damn hot!!

jmo, ymmv

Henry.

nsxclassact said:
Mickeylex, the 91 you mention above, I believe you are talking about my car!!! bought it a week ago! looks like a new car!
Rich
Ummm .... that would have been '01 (NA2) he mentioned, not '91 .....

I've been pondering about this too, so the question is does anyone have pics of body kits on a red nsx with a black roof, and the same kit on an all red? Just curious to see how it is other than stock
mike

i like the black roof, but i also like black tinting and CF bonnet n boots lol
depends on what u like, n what u going to do in the future,

sexy.jpg

I still say black top - my desktop background (above) :biggrin:

Ryan

I have painted roof but I would say keep the roof black. The car looks much lower with black roof and put more emphasize on the body outline if you look from top front. Also NSX has a squareish roof and the shape could be hidden with having the top black.

Getting back to your question.
I think you will need to remove the fenders, rear glass, pillar garnishes, windshield molding, weatherstrips etc..
I can't see why the windshield should have to be removed but, go to a great auto body shop where you live and explain that you want it to look like it was painted that way at the factory. They should be glad to explain how and what needs to be done.
They should give you a itemized break down of all the labor operations and material costs to the minute and the penny. The more thorough they are, the more time and attention they take, the more it will cost and the better it should look. As for price, it should vary from comparable shops for the same job, done the exact same way, about 5%.

It will not kill your resale value, not that you asked.

I'm in the don't do it camp. I actually like the look of the black roof and if mine weren't black already, I'd think about having the top painted black.

Just my two pennies.

gobble said:
3. The black roof is unique on the NSX. Don't screw it up.

It's not unique - I see red Camaros all the time with black roofs..

Ahh, a benefit of about having a blk/blk - one less thing to have to think about. I suppose I could always try painting my roof red! J/K

-Josh

How did asking for technical advice turn into a mini poll on what he should and should not do to his car? :confused:

I say paint it... take a look at the poist above that shows with and without... looks better painted IMHO. BTW, what color is your car?

Back