• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Parents think I am crazy

Greetings

Buy the NSX and go see Grandpa. Let him look at the quality and then let him drive it. Enough said. You will have a convert. Don't blame me if he wants to borrow it sometime in the future -- you will have to be tough and learn to say no. :smile:

Cheers,
Martin

I'm not saying you should take the Sky Redline suggestion seriously but they do have a point...there are few people on the planet who would even think about buying a 16 year old car for this kind of money. Its not suprising they would have such a reaction, regardless of their loyalties to any brand.

My parents roll their eyes at my NSX ambitions too. Considering what they say to me keeps me grounded and thats useful considering how easily my passion for this car can get me to formulate pretty rediculous plans to buy one.

Funny, my buddy did an internship for Ford. He was allowed to park in the employee lot, but because he had a Maxima at the time, he parked in another lot in fear of "retaliation." ha

Yep, my friends parents told me that they have the 'Foreign' lot over at the GM plant in Fort Wayne, Indiana that they work at. Same thing about if they parked in the normal employee lot, the car would get vandalized...HEAVILY!! My question is where the heck are the security guards? Just because you drive a foreign car to work does not make it legal to vandalize it. But, you can always count on the arrogant, spiteful, American automotive factory worker, to let their ego take them to a new planet of stupidity. :mad:

(*Funny how you never hear of workers in ANY other country vandalizing cars made elsewhere....just in the USA. Boy, I wonder why the rest of the world hates us and feels we act superior.)

Last edited:
Do you want to live a long life and prosper??? more NSX's

Then honor your father and mother... it is the only commandment with a promise attached to it... honor your parents and live a long life :biggrin:

"Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you." Exodus 20:12

That said.... you are an adult and at the age of accountability. You can agree to disagree, or should be able to and still maintain a healthy relationship.

I feel your pain.... I have owned a few Corvettes and Camaro's, a 69 Mach I over the years. But most of them where when I was younger, about your age now. My dad always thought I was nuts... I've always like cars. They are in my blood. But for years I settled into more family oriented type cars.

I believe my dad thought I had finally matured and come to my senses. Little did he know :smile:

I ended up purchasing a 91 NSX Formula Red NA1, this past spring. I didn't tell my dad, since I knew I would receive some grief over the purchase.

He happened to see a picture of it in some pictures I had sent... BUSTED. Even at 50, it still seems we still value what our parents may say or think. Actually, I received less grief than I had anticipated. I did receive the, "don't tell me you went off the deep end?" question. He asked what it was. I told him a Honda. Then he asked about gas mileage. He seemed okay with that..... I didn't have the heart to tell him how much I paid for a 17 year old car.... he would really think I went off the deep end. Even though I believe I purchased the car for a very good price, under $28k for one with 38,500 miles, current maintenance, excellent condition, tasteful upgrades, etc.

Over the years he has accepted that I'm a grown up now and am responsible for my own choices, good or bad. I don't agree with everything he has done or purchased over the years. We are all human and do the best we can.

It is good that you apologized to your parents. Just let them know that you value their input, but that you are an adult and have your own road to follow and you are choosing to do it with STYLE... NSX Style.

Besides... you could purchase a Solstice or Sky... those along with a convertible vette were on my possible choices.... but all those are fairly common and depreciating. The NSX has hopefully bottomed out on the older ones and aren't depreciating much on the later models. So as an investment, it should be better than if you purchased most any other car. In addition, for a sports car they get decent fuel economy and are dependable. Some of the parts can be costly to replace, but you can't have it all.

Where I live mine is the only one on the streets. A few years back I saw a Spa Yellow one around town a couple of times. I also saw a Formula Red NSX-T driving down the Interstate a few years back. I'm not sure if it was local or just passing through. In these parts the car has that STAR power. People will hang out their windows, turn around and snap pictures with their cell phones, or just follow you to ask questions about the car. Which I find entertaining for the most part. There are times though when it would be nice to not receive quite so much attention.

I don't mind all the attention. But for the most part I purchased the car because I have always really liked them and they aren't something you see on the road every day. I find it to be a beautiful design... beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But I like the lines and the look of the car and it drives and handles great... my wife loves the seats. She was in a bad car accident when she was younger and has some joint pain, but she can sit in the NSX and be comfortable and not get sore the way she does in other vehicles.

I'm sure your parents love you and are just trying to help in your decision. They will come around. They will learn to let go of the control and let you make your own choices.

Don't feel bad... you are in good company through out the history of mankind... I believe most parents think their kids are crazy at some point in their lives.

There are worse things you could do, than purchase an NSX or two. They should be proud of you.... if you can afford an NSX you must be doing something right.

GO AHEAD GET UR NSX.. ITS URS ULL BE THE ONE WHO'S USING IT RIGHT?.... THEY'LL UNDERSTAND, ITS UR PRIDE AND JOY..:smile:

Just tell them that GM is about to go bankrupt and you need to make sure you can still get the car serviced. :)

Just tell them GM uses Honda engines in some of their products (ie Saturn Vue with the Honda 3.5) :)

I agree with your parents. I think you're crazy too. No specific reason, but parents are usually right. :biggrin:

Back