• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Passenger tail light problem

Randomly my passenger tail isn't working. I have removed and messed with the driver but never touched the passenger. I checked the fuse in the front compartment and it was fine but I replaced it anyway. The break and turn signal still work, just not the running light. I ran some wiring at the foot part of the passenger seat and wonder if I unplugged something. I looked at the harness diagrams but I can't tell if something runs through that area or not.:confused:

If no one knows how to fix it.... Does anyone know an expect primer that I could PM about it. It's seriously driving me insane and ruining my holiday weekend!!

Last edited:
Sounds like a bad connector in the trunk. Loosen the rear trunk carpeting, find the wiring harness connectors and disconnect them and check for corrosion.

no corrosion, checked it all with the meter and there's power to everything but the positive for the running lights. The wires are in perfect shape as far as I can follow them. That's why I think the issue may be up under the glove box but I'm not sure if the harness even runs that way.

The positive for the right side running lights is a Red/Black wire that makes its way all the way to the under hood fuse box to fuse 38. There are multiple connectors along its length. You're going to have to trace the damn thing to find the bad connection unfortunately. Being intermittent makes all the more of a pain in the ass!

The wire does travel through the under dash fuse box where it supplies power to other circuits. Therefore if it's only the tail light that is flickering the problem is most likely not up front. Did you check the connector on the driver's side of the trunk behind the carpeting near the wheel well?

Are your license plate lights intermittent in synch with the tail light by the way? Or do they stay on constantly?

Last edited:
I'll try to trace it to the fuse box in the front compartment. The odd thing is that it's only the passenger tail. Driver tail and license plate light are all working just fine no flickering or anything. I'm guessing its something under that glove box area because its not getting any power.

No need to forward of the trunk area since you say the license plate lights are steady.

License plate lights and passenger tail are on the same circuit from connector C539 forwards. At C539 (which is in the trunk on the driver's side) the wires (Red/Black) branch off towards the rear. This means your electrical problem is between C539 and the innards of the actual lens assembly.

I've started tracking the wire forward. The license plate lights are also out. I didn't think they were last time I looked. The trunk light still works though. Do you know if the wires go forward on the passenger or driver side to get up to the fuse box in the front compartment?

I've basically gutted the trunk and followed it best I could through the engine compartment. Has anyone else had an issue like this? Things I should look for other than a pinched or severed wire? Could it be a lighting relay or something or would that keep the drivers light from working too? It is odd that the license plate lights aren't working either. Makes me think it would be an issue in the trunk but I don't see any issues. I may have to try to take it in for this one, but who the hell can work on an NSX ha.

The reverse lights still work too. Getting weirder and weirder. I'm done tearing everything apart to find it though. I'm just going to re-wire the C-560 and C-555 together and then run a line down to C-558. The running and break lights both light at the same time always anyway so as long as I stay away from C-561 and C-556 nothing should change.

No I don't. I was just going off of the electrical section in the service manual in the wiki section of prime. I just connected those two and problem solved. Kind of a ghetto way to fix it but the passenger side and license plate lights are all up and running now.

No I don't. I was just going off of the electrical section in the service manual in the wiki section of prime.

Roger that.

Kind of a ghetto way to fix it but the passenger side and license plate lights are all up and running now.

At least you've isolated the problem. I'd try to find out what is causing the problem because if it is something like the wiring harness possibly contacting sheet metal you could have bigger problems further down the road.

Yeah the whole thing kind of weirds me out. I don't know if it's something I may have done while messing with things or if it was just time for something to break. I have only had the car about 2 months but I know I need to get those manuals for sure! Thanks for the help!!

I sure will. One thing I'm curious about though is if they are both run through the same fuse in the front compartment where do they split? I know on the fuse box it says "L Tail light" but it runs both I think? HA guess I need those diagrams!

One thing I'm curious about though is if they are both run through the same fuse in the front compartment where do they split?

I told you that earlier. :)

License plate lights and passenger tail are on the same circuit from connector C539 forwards. At C539 (which is in the trunk on the driver's side) the wires (Red/Black) branch off towards the rear.

I mean the left and right tails. I wonder where they split if they are together at the fuse in the front. They must split forward of C-539. Odd wiring design.

I mean the left and right tails. I wonder where they split if they are together at the fuse in the front. They must split forward of C-539. Odd wiring design.

They are together at the tail light relay but they have seperate fuses. The right tail light fuse is the same as the main lighting (illumi lights) fuse #38 and the left tail lights has it's own fuse #39. The main lighting fuse controls many lights, just look at the list. If you don't have a problem with anything on the list but the rear lights then the fuse and wiring forward of the trunk are probably fine. You need to verify what lead (12v or ground) has the problem by using a volt/ohm meter when the light isn't working. You either have a broken wire or a bad connection. The ground would be the first thing to verify starting with the ground point on the front drivers side of the trunk. Verify you have ground at the plug when the lights are not working.

Mike

That's what I was looking for. Thank you. It coudln't be a ground though. I bridged the driver side over to the passenger and it works fine and all I did was bridge the two red/black wires, no ground. So the problem must be forward. I checked the L tail light fuse and the illumination light fuse and both were ok. With all of this I'm guessing there is an issue with a wire between the point were that line comes into the trunk and the fuse.

There is also an electrical component attached to the tail light assembly. It has a single connector with 5 contacts. I am not sure exactly what it does, but I had a problem with a tail light a couple years ago and replaced it and the problem went away.

I got the replacement from a salvage yard 93 Honda Accord. It is held onto the tail light with two screws. You might try swaping the component from side to side and see if the problem goes with the box.
Brad

Mine is the same way now. Alec, which 2 wires did you put together? My brake lamps work both sides, but my rear right night lights don't work.

Back