• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Payment Process - Buying in US

Hi guys

Looking to purchase an NSX in the US in the next little while and wanted to see what the best way to go abouts the purchase process is?

How do I check if there is still a lien on the car or not?
Should the money be wired? certified check? Does this happen before the title is transferred or before?

Just trying to be cautious.

Hi guys

Looking to purchase an NSX in the US in the next little while and wanted to see what the best way to go abouts the purchase process is?

How do I check if there is still a lien on the car or not?
Should the money be wired? certified check? Does this happen before the title is transferred or before?

Just trying to be cautious.
First I don't think anybody will give you the title to there car before you pay them.

I think auto check .com can tell you.It's like carfax but also checks for liens.

I just bought mine in Texas and I live in eastern Canada.

The way I did it ways after receiving lots of pictures and communicating via email I talk to him on the phone and determined that I was interested.I had him bring it to an Acura dealer for a PPI.When that passed I sent him a deposit.Flew down to see it with the check in hand and bought it.

You can also ask a prime member to go see it before you fly or drive down to see it.

Don't forget that if you cross the border with over $10,000.00 you have to declare it to Canada and US customs and there is a little bit of paper work involved

You can also wire transfer to his bank and have the bank put a hold on it until
you go to his bank with him.

If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask or send me a private message.

Good luck and I hope you find what your looking for.

I just bought one in the US. I gave him a deposit, then had the car checked out by a prime member and a garage.

The difficulty I had was that he had a lien on the vehicle and he had no paper title (some states dont issue paper titles for SOME or ALL cars).

Unless I wanted to camp out in his city while waiting for the lien to be cleared and wait for the paper title to be mailed from the state capital, I had to had have some faith in him. I phoned his bank to see how long the account was open and to see if it was in good standing. I phoned the state government to find out who had a lien. Ultimately I wired him the money before getting the vehicle. My only real comfort was that the prime member checked out the vehicle at the owner's home, so I 'knew where he lived'. He ended up driving to the state(WA) capital to get the paper title for me.

I bought an RX7 in Utah that had a lein on it. I hired a lawyer and gave them power of attorney to act on my behalf. I sent them the money and they put together the deal for me including going to the bank with the owner and getting a clear title. They also took possession of the car. At the time it cost me $500 to do but was worth the peace of mind.

You can ask him to supply a lien release letter from the institution that placed the lien - they should fax it directly to you to he can't touch or interfere with it - another route would be to have him sell the vehicle to a trusted US friend who will pay with your money and then transfer the vehicle to you - but it will take time to get title re-issued.

DON'T trust strangers - its too much money to risk!

My seller told me the name of the bank that he dealt with and I contacted them and they agreed to hold the deposit until I saw the car. That way he knew that the bank had the money and that I was serious. Then when I went down and ok'd the car, I gave him the rest of the money by certified cheque. Didn't realize I had to tell the border guys on the way down (previous post).

As far as condition, you can't really tell much by most photos so having someone on Prime look at it is mandatory if cosmetic condition is important. My seller had had recent service at Basch in Phoenix and I was able to talk to them about the mechanical condition.

Thanks guys - appreciate it. I think I'm finally zooming in on the NSX I want - it has taken a while but the wait MAY be over, depending on PPI and all that great stuff.

On a sidenote: for the DRLs, on an on 02+ NSX, is there any way to avoid having to install fog lights, etc. and just use the OEM headlight housing?

Thanks for your help!

Back