• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pedals for heel-and-toe braking; tire size

1. I have an NSX which I have owned since August 1990 and until this year I did not track it. However, my son got me interested last year when he joined the Porsche Club (!) and we co-drive his 930 Turbo in events at Mosport. This year I also started to track my NSX in the BMW Club and Dexter Autosport events at Mosport - it's a gas! However, so far the car is still 100% stock. It goes through rear tires like xxx through a goose.

2. It is impossible to heel-and-toe in the NSX. Can anyone recommend an aftermarket set of bolt-on pedal covers that will allow me to heel-and-toe. The alternative is that I will have to have them fabricated specially.

3. Also, I want to increase my wheel size from the original 15/16" to either 16/17" or better still 17/18" so that I can get a wider selection of tire choices and less side-wall action to improve cornering.

All inputs gratefully accepted.

Originally posted by pacman:
Can anyone recommend an aftermarket set of bolt-on pedal covers that will allow me to heel-and-toe.

I put in the following Sparco pedals, and they work great:
http://www.sparcousa.com/tuning.asp?type_id=flash&product_id=212&inc=product&sub_id=207&sub_section=2

The pedals in this picture are blue - mine are regular "silver" cast aluminum.

Drilling the pedals in the NSX is a bitch if they're in place... you just can't get a drill in at the angle needed to drill the pedal even with the pedal depressed to the floor. I was able to do it, but it took WAY too much time. If I had to do it again, I'd pull out my service manual and REMOVE the brake and clutch pedals to drill them outside the car.

EDR

I found that for 6 months after I bought the NSX, I could not heel toe. I can heel toe in any other car, but not the NSX.

The key, I found later is to step on the brake pedal a bit higher than usual. The typical method is to step on the center of the pedal with the ball of your foot. If you step just 1/2" above the center, it makes it MUCH easier to rotate your heel across and hit that gas pedal.

I wonder if my feet are too big or my driving skills inadequate? My feet are size 11.5 to 12 depending on shoes, and I have trouble heel / toe, but can easily in a 993, 996, or m3. but, for some reason, I can barely in the NSX, not comforable enough to do it at the track.

[This message has been edited by justin hall (edited 26 July 2001).]

This may sound stupid but what benefit do you get from heel/toe driving?

Joe

------------------
97 NSX-T
93 Supra TT
92 Talon AWD ( For Sale )

Thanks for the good input.

Badboy - When tracking the car, as you get better and carry more speed into the corners you need to brake and then shift (and blip the throttle about 2,000 rpm or so at the same time) as you shift to get a smooth brake/shift before the turn-in point. If you can't heel and toe you can't do that.

I guess I'm backwards on this one. Due to a defect, my right foot hangs at a rotation of about 25 degrees to the outside and can't even be pointed straight without discomfort, but it can rotate out further. My feet are also long (14 1/2) and narrow. I "heel & toe" by pushing the brake with the rear-middle of my foot, and sort of roll the outside front (small toe) onto the throttle. Works great, especially in cars without power brakes where you need to press really hard.

Thanks pacman,Ill have to practice the feel of that.So let me get this straight,you're actually turning your right foot as if you were pigeon toed and using your heel to work the gas as the ball works the brake.

Joe

Badboy - essentitally correct. I have size 9 1/2 feet, with 0 caster and 0 camber, so the pedals are too far apart to do it conveniently. I need to add the wider gas pedal. It works better with the size 14 1/2 shoes of sjs but those shoes would cost more than the replacement pedals!

Back