• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Peeling the Center Console

So, the plating on my '91 center console has started the infamous peel and I decided to start peeling it with my fingers and a razor blade. I am about half way through now but I did all of the easy places. I looked online a bit and found that caustic soda is said to take the plating off of the plastic, but I don't want the plastic to get damaged because of it. From my research, I believe the pH of any chemical that would take the plating off would have to be basic. I was wondering if there was a better/faster way to take the plating off, but not affect the plastic underneath? (I haven't tried the caustic soda)

Thanks,
Luigi

I just had SOS refinish my trim (center console, a/c & clock vent surround, and door switch panels) and am pretty satisfied with the results for the price. I'll post some photos later when I have time.

I peeled mine before anyone came up with the caustic soda routine. Some was easy; lots of it was slow going. IIRC, I scored along the edge of the console and then tried to get under it there and peel back toward the visible part of the console. But the concave parts around the knobs and down by the e-brake handle were a bitch.

I just had SOS refinish my trim (center console, a/c & clock vent surround, and door switch panels) and am pretty satisfied with the results for the price. I'll post some photos later when I have time.

I didn't know SOS did the service too. I just asked for a quote, Thanks!

I peeled mine before anyone came up with the caustic soda routine. Some was easy; lots of it was slow going. IIRC, I scored along the edge of the console and then tried to get under it there and peel back toward the visible part of the console. But the concave parts around the knobs and down by the e-brake handle were a bitch.

I haven't tried starting from behind the console, I'll give it a shot.

Has anyone just peeled it off and leave the white plastic look in there?

Check the pictures in this thread. The finish is not white underneath the film, and it is extremely soft and susceptible to scratches from what I understand. You probably don't want to leave it exposed.

BTW .. I had mine repainted by a company called Fibrenew (or something close to that). They are a professional franchise that touches up damaged interiors for insurance claims so they know what they're doing. The finish color was pretty close but it's more matte finish than OEM. However, that might have been my mistake .. I think he offered to do a more glossy finish. It has held up remarkably well. I think I had it done about 8-9 years ago.

Back