• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Perfect example of a car NOT to buy, yikes UGLY!

I haven't looked at NSX's on ebay for quite some time now ever since I got mine but it just amazes me some of the "questionable" history cars that are listed on there! :eek:

The subject of salvage title always comes up and why people buy these kinds of horrific cars is beyond my comprehension? Maybe to a teenage kid that doesn't know anything and just wants something that looks cool to show off perhaps? :confused:

1995 NSX that's been repainted Corvette yellow with an autocheck score of only 24! 8 owners, Major title issue, accident god knows how it was fixed in Arkansas....Special use?

Talk about a Hoopty...haha
passide72.jpg

Your threshold of "yikes UGLY" must be a lot lower than mine. I'm not a big fan of yellow cars, but I've seen a lot worse than that.

agreed.. that yellow is not horrible. I would still hit it if everything else is fine.

At least it's a lot easier to keep clean than say a black one.

Well my 1992 Nsx Blk/Blk was purchased in PA originally, then went to more states than I have,, PA,NY,NJ,IL,WA,OR,CA,NC and finally FL it went from Auction to auction,, owned 4 times repo-ed 4 times then shipped from one side of the states to the other,, I was like damn,, was funny,, but it showed every thing, never a problem,,, I will own this car till I die!! my great great grand kids will own this car,,

but anything car with a flood issue dont do it,,, BUT in the NSX defense it cant rust like other cars,, it will corrode in salt water but if fresh water should be good if properly fixed ,,it would be fine,,, but only if the price was super low would I would consider buying it,, and it would be hard to resell but great parts car!!

Last edited:
I like the black wheels on that yellow car.

Did you post the wrong pic? I don't see an issue with this picture. :confused:

Your threshold of "yikes UGLY" must be a lot lower than mine. I'm not a big fan of yellow cars, but I've seen a lot worse than that.

I agree, I've seen worse too. In fact, I've seen one or two custom convertible NSX's that I really didn't like. :eek:

I think a salvage vehicle is marketed toward 3 groups of potential buyers:

1. Those that want any NSX at any (relatively) LOW price and they don't give a crap about provenance.

2. Those that want to part it out.

3. Those that want to heavily mod it, then track it, and they don't necessarily care if it goes sideways into a wall!

I say, to each their own. :rolleyes:

i think his main point of "ugly" was the autocheck score, the owners, the title issue, and the wreck, bit the actual appearance of the car. but then again maybe he does mean that??

If that's a Hoopty, then I'd hit it for sure. There's still a market for these cars- Salvage,rebuilt,etc- the buyer has been warned.

At least it's not built on a Pontiac Fiero platform, Ford motor inside, and rebadged as an NSX.

I'm not sure what the point of your post is??

Are you trying to warn potential buyers about the history of this car? If that's the case, you should add the VIN to this thread.

Last edited:
You can't judge a book by it's cover naturally so just cause it looks decent doesn't mean that underneath it's not a horror story and how does it track? What part of the car was hit, etc.?

We are just looking at the surface but like some say - daily driver or track toy - what's the biggy if you can keep it aligned and the car doesn't track sideways then what's the harm in a salvage title. Hard to resell but then there are always folks out there looking for cheap. Hey another thing at least it exists and it's not another Nigerian scammer.

I looked at a car out in Arizona and I was just about to buy it when the owner was washing it as he had 100 times and had the front lid up and noticed it was missing a fender number. Had looked in there for years and never noticed it. He took it to a body shop and there was evidence of it being on a frame rack - well he didn't want to sell it then for several reasons. He didn't feel right about passing on his bad fortune and what I feel was the main issue - he didn't want to lower the price down to what it was probably really worth because of the wreck. He had never noticed it being out of align - nothing wore prematurely- it was done so well that it apparently didn't hurt the way the car ran, drove, tracked or stopped. So I ask you - why wouldn't you buy a car like that at a discount? Heck if he'd lowered the price I might have bought it. He wouldn't so I said adios.

There you go - to each his own as my buddy bethemortgage says.

for me it depends on how it got it's salvage title

if there was little to no frame damage and it was all cosmetic then I really don't care if it's salvage titled

I agree with you. If someone were to brake into my car drive it down the street and leave it there with no damage it would be salvage and if that is the case with any other car i would not care. Also if some were to mess the paint up and dent the car out of hate it would also be salvage if I were to report it. So it all depends on what was the case. I rather have a car like that than a perfect title car with perfect history that feels and runs like carp.

i think his main point of "ugly" was the autocheck score, the owners, the title issue, and the wreck, bit the actual appearance of the car. but then again maybe he does mean that??

Sorry for the confusion. My point of "ugly" is not as much the physical appearance as much as the history.....so many change of hands makes it virtually impossible to find out what really happened to the car. Dealer claims only 29k miles but sounds highly suspicious to mileage tampering.

I have NOTHING against yellow cars, quite the opposite as I really love yellow! :biggrin:

Yea I guess there are reasons where buying a salvage title makes sense, never thought of it that way. Thanks for the input!

rick

So it all depends on what was the case. I rather have a car like that than a perfect title car with perfect history that feels and runs like carp.

Something sounds/smells "fishy" with the above!:wink:

I don't give much weight to AutoCheck scores. It can be a quick guide to a car's general condition while cruising eBay but exactly how Experian comes up with this number is a mystery. The assumptions and biases built into the Experian formula may not necessaily align with mine, for example. Personally I would not rule out a car based on an AutoCheck score.

That said, the front edge of the roof of this particular car look like it's about 1/8" lower than the cowl. Yikes, that is scary! :eek:

Back