• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Picked up a '98 NSX just a few mins ago... on its way to London, ONT...

Japan/Canada/USA (varies in parallel with my busin
Hello everyone,

(takes a deep breath)...

I've finally done it... I've just pulled the trigger on a '98 yellow NSX on eBay. Link is below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260105505221

I've just returned to Canada, approx. one week ago, I had spent my winter in Japan. I've been scouring all over the U.S. since my return for the right deal, and I let a couple of great deals slip past me. While this price here isn't as good as the previous two I let go, I wasn't willing to wait any longer.

I have a question for all my fellow Canadian NSX owners who may have brought their vehicles over from the U.S.A.

I will be making my way to Chicago on Mon or Tue of this coming week, to pay for and pick up this car. I have my checklists, inspection lists, all the goods I feel I'll need to ensure the vehicle is in stated condition, before remitting payment.

I'd be more grateful if someone here could provide me with a comprehensive, and complete checklist of everything I need, before crossing the border in Detroit/Windsor? I brought over a 3000GT (Mitsubishi) many years ago, and it was a breeze... pay the duty, one tax, and off I go a few minutes later... registered it a week later once I had the minute details taken care of. I read somewhere recently however, that I must call the border 2-3 days in advance, informing them I'll be coming? Is this true?

Anyway, any and ALL info pertaining to all this, will be most appreciated.

Respectfully,
PJ

Looking at the pictures of the front compartment, it appears there has been some paint work. The bolt on the inner wheel well to the right of the ABS master cylinder is painted yellow. This bolt should not be body colored and is an indication that the front end was repainted. Make sure you have a dealer or body shop look at the front of the car before you buy it.

I also just noticed that the center console is cracked in half where the door for the ash tray is. You really need to have a comprehensive inspection before you give them a single dollar for the car.

Last edited:
Doc,
good eyes on the inner wheel well.

You had to look past the other yellow bolt on top of the radiator. Same type of bolts, however, the one on the left is silver and the right one is yellow.

Maybe only the driver side was hit/repainted?

The car looks pretty nice in the pics though...

Sounds like a new member of the NSX Club of Canada!

You need to fax a copy of the tittle to the U.S. customs office a min. of 72 hours prior to crossing. Not 71 1/2 hours 72! and you must cross between the hours of 9am and 4pm.
How do you plan to get the car from Chicago to the border? In my experience you can not get insurance coverage until the car is registered in Canada.
I have always trailered mine...if anyone knows of a way to get insurance temporary plates please share. I know someone had posted suggesting a dealer plate...not a god idea, it might get you accross the border but you are not covered in case of an accident or theft.

Looks like a sweet ride. Congrats on the purchase.
You'll probably run into Sean and I (Brad) in London.
If you are looking for anything local, give me a shout.
Can see if I can help in any way.

NOW GET RID OF THIS DAM SNOW!!!

Brad

Congrats on the purchase!
It will be fun to have another one here in London! Maybe if we get a couple more, we can drag the TO guys down here for an event.. :)

Sean

FYI KMDTOKYO,

Check out the "Quick Flip" post...

So I was just checking out NSX values here on ebay and came across a fipper:

ebay item 290098498273 sold for $39,500 on March 25th in Alabama

ebay item 260105505221 same car sold for $44,900 on April 7th in Chicago

Hi i brough a car recently in chicago as well, like the other member said you must fax your title to the customs border of entry 72hrs prior crossing with the car or they will not let you through if you come before. Speaking about the time someone said between 9am and 4pm I don't know about that cause I crossed in without any hassle after midnight the office is open 24hrs mind you this was at the Bridge not the tunell. I also heard its easier to cross at the bridge From buddies experience who brings in cars once in a while told me he had less hassle at the bridge.

see ya around in town just don't try racing a yellow type r ;)

If you have not picked it up yet and are still working out the details.
Yes the bridge in Port Huron works well.

The one hold-up I had was actually finding someone on the US side (US-Customs) that knew how to do the paperwork for a export.

I had to hang around in US customs for over an hour waiting from someone that was qualified to show up for their shift. A supervisor actually stepped in and processed the stuff for me.

Canadian side. No linup, and 10 min later I was handing over my visa card, and away I went.

In terms of the insurance(if you're going to be driving it back) .... I just brought mine back last September and I was able to get insurance through my insurance company. It did not cover anything except liability, but I was willing to risk it. If you want to go this route, just PM me and I will give you the information to contact my insurance company.

In terms of the insurance(if you're going to be driving it back) .... I just brought mine back last September and I was able to get insurance through my insurance company. It did not cover anything except liability, but I was willing to risk it. If you want to go this route, just PM me and I will give you the information to contact my insurance company.

What did you do for plates, and what insurance company are you with ?

I go through Mainway Insurance Brokers .... I believe my policy is held with AXA Insurance ... In terms of plates, I got a temporary trip permit from Virginia where I picked the car up from. It was valid for 5 business days. Not sure if it's the same in other states or not.

Doc,
good eyes on the inner wheel well.

You had to look past the other yellow bolt on top of the radiator. Same type of bolts, however, the one on the left is silver and the right one is yellow.

Maybe only the driver side was hit/repainted?

The car looks pretty nice in the pics though...

The most obvious sign that the front end has been repainted is the painted vertical bars on the lower front bumper. Those bars should be unpainted (black) and not body color.

The most obvious sign that the front end has been repainted is the painted vertical bars on the lower front bumper. Those bars should be unpainted (black) and not body color.

That's not as much of a concern with me, as most NSX's that have rock chips on the front end have the bumper replaced. And, a lot of the time those bars are painted body color, just like mine. What's more concerning is that a structural part of he car has been painted, and the only reason for that to happen is if there was unibody damage in that area.

Congrats and welcome!

Our Ottawa mailing list just received a few new members too. Definitely gonna need to organize a convoy down to the GTA this summer :D

Paint-out the whole are in flat black, it looks WAY better, especially on yellow where you notice the contrast the most! :cool:

Center console is broken in two parts (just above the ashtray). Replace the whole console, besides the cracks looks like someone did a quick paint job on it too.

I would have to say this sweet yellow beast has landed in London.

Was just on the phone with Mikey talking about picking up some wheels from him, and a yellow NSX drives north on Talbot st. (about a block away, just outside my office window here in sunny downtown London)

Congrats again!

Brad

Last edited:
I think I saw Brad's at Canadian Tire on Saturday!
Can't wait to see the yellow one around town.

Brad - whatchatalking about?

My car sees tons of stuff from CT. Tools. Oil. Wash soap. Window cleaner. Battery stuff. Wiring stuff. TONS OF STUFF. Im thrilled that theyre building at CT between my work and home because Ill be stopping by all the time.

I dont know what Id do with CT. My NSX is at the Rosedale one ALL THE TIME.

Back