• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

PICS of A/C fix do it!

Variable blower quit!

Thanks guys for sharing all of your experience and pain with the Auara NSX CCU unit. My climate control blower fan just randomly quit speed control as I have seen in other member's units. Good with a soldering iron and a SOLDAPULLT decided to give it a try to repair the CCU. After splitting the case I saw other's repairs previously done. Saw a jumper lead to replaced damaged trace and two 85C caps installed to replace C33 and C22. Just replaced all of the 13 caps but there were problems getting all of the caps locally. Went to Radio Shack and they only have crappy 85C caps that you have to buy three or four assortment bags to get the values you need. Ended up going to Fry's Electronics and purchased 105C rated caps. Cap C17 0.47uf was not available in aluminum can so I used a Tantalum version to replace the electrolytic type. For the C17 cap 3.3uf I used the only available cap at Fry's an 85C unit rated at 250 volt, That's all they had, hoping it's good enough to last, any comments? The car is now back together and variable speed and every other function works flawlessly, at least for now!
Stephen

My CCU went out on Sunday. Ordered up the caps and they showed up yesterday. Just did the repair myself this afternoon and now it works like a champ. :)

Attachments

• Repair CCU 1 sm.jpg
    Repair CCU 1 sm.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 408
  • Repair CCU 3 sm.jpg
    Repair CCU 3 sm.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 384
  • Repair CCU 6 sm.jpg
    Repair CCU 6 sm.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 365
  • Bad Caps 3 sm.jpg
    Bad Caps 3 sm.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
So, beside replacing the 13 capacitors that are listed, are there any other repairs that one must do on the circuit board, assuming that the traces are all in good order.

Thanks, Bram

Resurrecting an old but good thread. I just did this repair on my climate control unit. Believe it or not the price of a set of replacement caps went down 25% since 2004. Total time including R/R was 3 hours. Total cost including shipping: $6.80. Not bad! Here's the current set of Digi Key part numbers:

1 P5553-ND CAP ALUM 330UF 35V 20% RADIAL C6 1 0.57000 $0.57
1 P5519-ND CAP ALUM 330UF 10V 20% RADIAL C10 1 0.30000 $0.30
1 P5517-ND CAP ALUM 100UF 10V 20% RADIAL C11 1 0.23000 $0.23
4 P5550-ND CAP ALUM 47UF 35V 20% RADIAL C14 C15 C22 C24 4 0.23000 $0.92
1 P5565-ND CAP ALUM 3.3UF 50V 20% RADIAL C16 1 0.23000 $0.23
1 P5562-ND CAP ALUM 0.47UF 50V 20% RADIAL C17 1 0.23000 $0.23
1 P14484-ND CAP ALUM 22UF 16V 20% RADIAL C19 1 0.25000 $0.25
1 P5570-ND CAP ALUM 47UF 50V 20% RADIAL C32 1 0.30000 $0.30
1 P5551-ND CAP ALUM 100UF 35V 20% RADIAL C33 1 0.30000 $0.30
1 P14496-ND CAP ALUM 22UF 35V 20% RADIAL C44 1 0.30000 $0.30
Subtotal $3.63

Quick ? Is the output signal from the head to the power transistor a variable DC or is it pulsed (PWM)? I decided not to remove the head but use a 5 button keyfob and rx with microcontroller under the hood. Here's my dwg. Ive tested it with a variable DCV but I'd rather do a pwm out so that I have variable speed instead of just 4 plus blast plus off. I'd also like to get the part numbers of the connector and contacts for the power transistor harness.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Quick ? Is the output signal from the head to the power transistor a variable DC or is it pulsed (PWM)? I decided not to remove the head but use a 5 button keyfob and rx with microcontroller under the hood. Here's my dwg. Ive tested it with a variable DCV but I'd rather do a pwm out so that I have variable speed instead of just 4 plus blast plus off. I'd also like to get the part numbers of the connector and contacts for the power transistor harness.
Any ideas?

Its an analog signal, there is also feed back. I fix the CCUs all the time and once it starts blowing on high other problems are not far behind including complete failure. No need to re- engineer the the blower control a when repair/rebuild just makes the more sense.

Well my fan speed is working again, but the heat doesn't work and I'm getting mix control and mode control motor errors (F + G) so I have to rip it out and check the traces again. Are any particular caps associated with these two functions that I can check first?

Last edited:
Well my fan speed is working again, but the heat doesn't work and I'm getting fan control and and mode control motor errors (F + G) so I have to rip it out and check the traces again. Are any particular caps associated with these two functions that I can check first?

Ah yes the Mix and mode errors, they almost always come as pair. As noted above finding and fixing all the traces that need repair can be a challenge.

I did this fix a few months ago. Fixing the traces was a PITA! I spent at least a few hours on it over a week or so. Ordered the caps from DigiKey - thanks for the part number breakout! It has been working great ever since.

It originally started having the problem where the fan would only work on the highest setting; then no fan at all. 3-4 caps had leaked badly and ruined the traces. If you don't have a good de-soldering tool I would send it in for a fix, as there's potential to damage traces/pads even more than they already are (or ones that aren't yet damaged).

I did this fix a few months ago. Fixing the traces was a PITA! I spent at least a few hours on it over a week or so. Ordered the caps from DigiKey - thanks for the part number breakout! It has been working great ever since.

It originally started having the problem where the fan would only work on the highest setting; then no fan at all. 3-4 caps had leaked badly and ruined the traces. If you don't have a good de-soldering tool I would send it in for a fix, as there's potential to damage traces/pads even more than they already are (or ones that aren't yet damaged).

Good job, some can have a lot of damage and if its your first time inside the ccu its not likely you will get every problem fixed first pass. If you have the time, tools and the patience it's a good little project but if you are short on any one of the 3 sending it to me just makes more sense.

I had to fix my ccu last week. It started showing the same symptoms as smooth wrote about. I decided to fix it myself to give me a challenge. I ordered the caps and got a nice de-solder tool. I took my time to de-solder properly to make getting the caps out easier. I made sure about the polarity of the caps when installing them. I had 3 caps that had leaked one of those was bad enough it messed up the trace, I had to run a small wire passed the damaged area. When I replaced all the caps I decided to cleanup the little fan thing, it was making some noises, some fuzzy stuff was wrapped around the little shaft, I lubed and adjusted the support bearing. Both are working great. Thanks to all the great helpful information here on nsxprime from people willing to share and help others.

In the event that some of the caps are out of stock and backordered at Digikey and you want to order the Panasonic capacitors from another vendor like Mouser or Newark, here are the Panasonic part numbers for the capacitors. It will make looking them up on non-Digkey websites to add to the shopping cart a little easier:

1 ECA-1VHG331 CAP ALUM 330UF 35V 20% RADIAL C6
1 ECA-1AHG331 CAP ALUM 330UF 10V 20% RADIAL C10
1 ECA-1AHG101 CAP ALUM 100UF 10V 20% RADIAL C11
4 ECA-1VHG470 CAP ALUM 47UF 35V 20% RADIAL C14 C15 C22 C24
1 ECA-1HHG3R3 CAP ALUM 3.3UF 50V 20% RADIAL C16
1 ECA-1HHGR47 CAP ALUM 0.47UF 50V 20% RADIAL C17
1 EEA-GA1C220 CAP ALUM 22UF 16V 20% RADIAL C19
1 ECA-1HHG470 CAP ALUM 47UF 50V 20% RADIAL C32
1 ECA-1VHG101 CAP ALUM 100UF 35V 20% RADIAL C33
1 EEA-GA1V220 CAP ALUM 22UF 35V 20% RADIAL C44

Just placed an order for these at Mouser and it was a few cents more than Digikey, just over $9 for the entire order including USPS shipping.

Back