• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pioneer F500BT, new or refurnished?

I am trying to find a F500BT, but it is hard to find new. Most are refurbished. Is it OK to get a refurbished unit? I would prefer new.

Thoughts?

It's hard to find because it's a two year old model (2008). Found some prices using Google Shopping and it's very tempting. . but most of the venders seem a little on the shady side.

As for refurbished, it's hit or miss in my experience. It all depends on the company. Apple refurbished products are good and high quality from my experience. Some other companies, not so much. Unfortunately I don't know about Pioneer's refurbishing. .

Is there a particular reason why you want the F500BT over any other unit?

Last edited:
It's hard to find because it's a two year old model (2008). Found some prices using Google Shopping and it's very tempting. . but most of the venders seem a little on the shady side.

As for refurbished, it's hit or miss in my experience. It all depends on the company. Apple refurbished products are good and high quality from my experience. Some other companies, not so much. Unfortunately I don't know about Pioneer's refurbishing. .

Is there a particular reason why you want the F500BT over any other unit?

Yes, because it fits great in the NAV pod and it isn't a full blown AV system. I just want NAV and Bluetooth. I am going to keep the OEM stereo etc.

I haven't found any other good options out there.

Yes, because it fits great in the NAV pod and it isn't a full blown AV system. I just want NAV and Bluetooth. I am going to keep the OEM stereo etc.

I haven't found any other good options out there.

I don't know if you've heard, but they have these new things called the iPhone4 and the HTC EVO that have Bluetooth and NAV built in. They've got really big screens that are in COLOR! :biggrin:
Plus I heard that they also work as a Cell phone! NO WAY!!!

All kidding aside, that's why I don't have navigation or BT in my cars, too many devices! Do you really need a GPS unit??

Last edited:
I don't know if you've heard, but they have these new things called the iPhone4 and the HTC EVO that have Bluetooth and NAV built in. They've got really big screens that are in COLOR! :biggrin:
Plus I heard that they also work as a Cell phone! NO WAY!!!

All kidding aside, that's why I don't have navigation or BT in my cars, too many devices! Do you really need a GPS unit??

Yes. I like having it and I certainly don't want to look at my phone all the time.

I never use the Bluetooth with my F500BT. It's hard for people to hear me on thier end. The reason is that the mic is located inside the navpod. Plus, it is hard to reach the buttons on the dash (navpod). If I were you I would go with one on the 7" new Navigation devices.

I never use the Bluetooth with my F500BT. It's hard for people to hear me on thier end. The reason is that the mic is located inside the navpod. Plus, it is hard to reach the buttons on the dash (navpod). If I were you I would go with one on the 7" new Navigation devices.

Exactly which 7" Navs do you have in mind that fit the OEM Nav pod?

Exactly which 7" Navs do you have in mind that fit the OEM Nav pod?

Exactly. There are not any. Options are very very limited out there to fit nicely in the OEM Nav Pod. I think the F500BT is the best option even though it is a few years old.

If I could get a custom pod to fit the new Garmin nüvi® 3790T that would the best I think, but I have no idea how much it would cost to do that and it would probably look crappy.

Last edited:
There is the Magellan RoadMate 1700. 7" screen. The 500BT is not a perfect fit for the navpod, you will have to make your own bezel or have one fabricated. Also, when you have inputs or outputs hooked into the 500bt it is a VERY tight fit. I looked at the dimensions of the 1700 (7.5x4.17) vs the 500bt(7.25x3.8) and I think the 1700 would fit. Keep in mind the basic software installed in the 500BT sucks. I have updated the firmware with upgraded hacks from avic411. I now have 3d buildings, speed cam alerts, elevation, and posted speed limits. This is a must for the 500BT, I will warn you that the unit will freeze from time to time. I had to return my first unit due to the touch screen not functioning. It took 3 weeks to get it back from the factory. Again, once hardwired you will have to turn the ignition (without the 1st click stop) to full start in order for the 500BT not to shut down and reboot. Just giving you guys a heads up. Hope this helps.

There is the Magellan RoadMate 1700. 7" screen. The 500BT is not a perfect fit for the navpod, you will have to make your own bezel or have one fabricated. Also, when you have inputs or outputs hooked into the 500bt it is a VERY tight fit. I looked at the dimensions of the 1700 (7.5x4.17) vs the 500bt(7.25x3.8) and I think the 1700 would fit. Keep in mind the basic software installed in the 500BT sucks. I have updated the firmware with upgraded hacks from avic411. I now have 3d buildings, speed cam alerts, elevation, and posted speed limits. This is a must for the 500BT, I will warn you that the unit will freeze from time to time. I had to return my first unit due to the touch screen not functioning. It took 3 weeks to get it back from the factory. Again, once hardwired you will have to turn the ignition (without the 1st click stop) to full start in order for the 500BT not to shut down and reboot. Just giving you guys a heads up. Hope this helps.

Hmm... Sounds like a bit of a pain in the butt. It doesn't sound like you like it very much.

The Magellan 1700 is a pretty basic system. It doesn't do much. I wish someone would make a nice 7" system with lots of features.

This is frustrating.:mad:

I like the features...At first it was a PITA (install and working properly), but you can't beat the price. It looks good and updates the interior.

I like the features...At first it was a PITA (install and working properly), but you can't beat the price. It looks good and updates the interior.

Does it display a map while driving without needed to put in directions etc? Did you upgrade to the 3.0 firmware?

Can you post some pix of your setup. I would like to see it.

Thanks.

Does it display a map while driving without needed to put in directions etc? Did you upgrade to the 3.0 firmware?

Can you post some pix of your setup. I would like to see it.

Thanks.

Yes. It always displays a map while driving. (main reason I purchased it). I rarely use the direction function. I upgraded to the 3.0, and then hacked the new software. The 3.0 should come with the refurbed units. The 3.0 software still does not have the functions of 3D, elevation, speed cams, speed limits, and other warnings. The hack is simple, just download the software you like to a micro card and then insert into the unit. You can go to avic411 and see which software you like. I takes about 1 to 2 hours to hack the new software.

I will post my setup in the morning. I will also post the screens that my 500bt uses. If you search under my post you see my oringinal setup. Since then, I have added a Avic double DIN unit.

I will post my setup in the morning. I will also post the screens that my 500bt uses. If you search under my post you see my oringinal setup. Since then, I have added a Avic double DIN unit.

Does it have a clock on it? I know you lose the OEM clock with the Nav pod. Does the time show while driving around with the Map up?

Does it have a clock on it? I know you lose the OEM clock with the Nav pod. Does the time show while driving around with the Map up?

Yes
PICS:

3D NAV SCREEN
CIMG5097.jpg

Home screen (boot up)
CIMG5099.jpg

MSN Direct
CIMG5104.jpg

Setup (sorry for the crappy pic)
CIMG5107.jpg

Last edited:
That looks awesome. I think I am going to go that route. I am tired of looking for other options that aren't out there.

Although, if you were going to do it again, would you just go with the DDIN system in the dash?

Last edited:
to mount anything in the nav pod your gonna need some creative thinking, there is nothing to mount to in the pod, people have used duct tape, glue,
home made brackets, anything goes. Dont use Hot glue as it will melt if the car is in any ammount of sun.

Got my F500BT on ebay for $265 New in box. Very happy with it. Nav Pod should be here Friday.

can't wait.

Back