• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Plasti-dip Questions and answers

I too would like to see something in gold to see how it looks. From what I have been able to find it appears to look more bronze than gold.

To get the gold color on a wheel would you just spray the gold metallizer only? Do you need to put down a base coat of another color first?

White then Gold Metalizer. Over black it does not look good.

Hey everyone, I figured I would start a thread where all the Q&A on the plasti-dip could be in one spot.. I think we have 2 or 3 threads going about this now in different sections.

I will try to answer whatever questions you have on the products. We have dipped 3-4 vehicles and motorcycles and countless parts. I am getting a lot of PM's regarding it too which is great. I am sure some people have the same questions so I figured this is a better avenue to discuss. I'll check the thread as often as possible and update. I'm on here pretty frequently :)

Brian

Hi Brian,

I asked my buddy boris to give you a call...

He wants to plastidip his whole car so I am sure you guys can work something out...

Jeff

Not sure if this was asked (tried searching through the posts but didn't see it) but does anyone know if this will work/stick to the rubber trim around the rear glass hatch? Mine is fading and has white spots now, and was told it is expensive/a bitch to replace..maybe this would be an easier and cheaper solution?

Not sure if this was asked (tried searching through the posts but didn't see it) but does anyone know if this will work/stick to the rubber trim around the rear glass hatch? Mine is fading and has white spots now, and was told it is expensive/a bitch to replace..maybe this would be an easier and cheaper solution?

I sprayed it on the wide body NSX. It will work. BUT what I found is when you go to open the glass if your fingers pull on that rubber piece it will peel the dip. So you have to be very careful!

I just read through every post and no one has mentioned using this project on interior pieces such as a center console or the switch plates in the doors.
Anyone try this? How durable?
Thanks in advance

I just read through every post and no one has mentioned using this project on interior pieces such as a center console or the switch plates in the doors.
Thanks in advance

I have not tried this yet. But knowing the texture I think as long as you put glossifier on it after you spray it it may be just fine.

Source, are you stocking this now? I would like to get a few things. Do you have smoke in stock?

I read this whole thread..and could'nt find this answer....will plastidip cure my psoriasis:tongue:

Thanks in advance

I plastidipped my center console on my legend about 2 years ago after I ruined it with a carbon fiber project. The Plastidip has held up perfectly after this long. I think I sprayed about 3 or 4 coats on it. It looks and feels similar to the vinyl Acura used to make the dash and lower center console/armrest.

Yes, We carry pretty much all of it except the newest colors. I have a couple cans of smoke in stock.

What do I want for taillights? Smoke? Or clear? Just want a slightly darker red, nothing too drastic.

What do I want for taillights? Smoke? Or clear? Just want a slightly darker red, nothing too drastic.

Smoke really adds a brushed look more than dark. I'll try to find a pic on my phone of how it turns out. But if you have Facebook look at Source 1 automotive Facebook page and there are pics in the albums. If I don't have a pic in my phone I'll post one tomorrow.

Smoke really adds a brushed look more than dark. I'll try to find a pic on my phone of how it turns out. But if you have Facebook look at Source 1 automotive Facebook page and there are pics in the albums. If I don't have a pic in my phone I'll post one tomorrow.

We are already facebook friends. Ill check.

We are already facebook friends. Ill check.

For reference here they are:

It is a very matte finish and takes a lot to give it a tint.

smokeplastidip.jpg

smokeplastidip2jpg2.jpg

Can you apply the glossifier over the smoke? I think when you apply that spray tint or the vinyl tint the result is more shiny.

I'm wondering if the combination of smoke and glossifier gets closer to the tinted look.

For reference here they are:

It is a very matte finish and takes a lot to give it a tint.

I tried the smoke on the front lenses I have and it came out like this. I think I used too much dip. I'm not really liking the look and will peel it off.

How many coats are on the rear lenses in the pic above?

plastidipsmokedlense.jpg

Can you apply the glossifier over the smoke? I think when you apply that spray tint or the vinyl tint the result is more shiny.

I'm wondering if the combination of smoke and glossifier gets closer to the tinted look.

Quite possibly. I did not try it but I would expect that to be the case.

I tried the smoke on the front lenses I have and it came out like this. I think I used too much dip. I'm not really liking the look and will peel it off.

How many coats are on the rear lenses in the pic above?

plastidipsmokedlense.jpg

There are about 5 coats on those.

Is there any whay to make a spray on Gold? can you use Gold metalizer strait on wheels?

Wow I guess this was already asked

Last edited:
For the people that plastidip their wheels... Have you noticed any problems with wheel vibration? I would think that if you don't spray evenly you will have a weight imbalance?

For the people that plastidip their wheels... Have you noticed any problems with wheel vibration? I would think that if you don't spray evenly you will have a weight imbalance?

It's not thick or heavy enough to throw off balance. People paint wheels all the time without wheel vibration or balance issues. I did my RS4 wheels and they are smooth as butter right up to the point the ECU steps in:biggrin:

I got some white dip and gold metallizer since I wanted to see how it would look. 1st pic is of the oem wheel, 2nd pic is with the white dip and 3rd pic is with the gold metallizer over the white dip.

The gold metallizer is really just a highlight and it took almost a whole can to get that final gold color. I didn't really like the look but at least I know now.

photo.jpg

white1.jpg

gold1.jpg

Back