• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Plasti-dip Questions and answers

If you were to use the glossifier can every coat of this count for the 4-5 coat total?

Meaning if normally i'll be applying 5 coats to my wheels of red can I apply 3 of red and 2 of the glossifier or do I need to apply 5 coats of red and 5 coats of glossifier?

Glossifier is very thin. I would continue with the normal 4-5 coats then add the gloss. 3-4 coats of glossifier is a lot thinner than 3-4 coats of the dip for best coverage and removal. Not saying that wont be fine but having played with this stuff a lot I do notice the difference in consistency of the two.

SOURCENSX,

If you don't mind me asking, do you know how much a shop charge for a full plastidip the whole car? approximately? I'm curious as I wouldn't mind going with white or black :)

SOURCENSX,

If you don't mind me asking, do you know how much a shop charge for a full plastidip the whole car? approximately? I'm curious as I wouldn't mind going with white or black :)

We only charge $499.00. Up to 3 gallons of dip. If we are doing basic color $59 per additional Gallon and enhanced colors are $74 per additional.

This is masked, sprayed with 4-5 coats of dip, unmasked and peeling of items you do not want dipped.

Source:

Spraying Question

With a standard air compressor and spray gun, I would need an Inline Desiccant Dryer/Filter? I have only sprayed water soluble paints so far.

And what does it wash up / thin with?

Thanks

Source:

Spraying Question

With a standard air compressor and spray gun, I would need an Inline Desiccant Dryer/Filter? I have only sprayed water soluble paints so far.

And what does it wash up / thin with?

Thanks

In all honesty I have ONLY used the sprayer provided with the Pro kit from dipyourcar.com. I can not confidently tell you what other sprayer will work and or what would be needed to make it work.

When we are finished we use " Plastidip thinner" I buy it by the gallon from this place.

http://usplastics.com/

I put about 3-5 oz in the paint canister, shake it up until the canister is clean inside and then run it through the gun into a garbage can etc. Then repeat. The use a towel slightly damp with thinner to wipe everything down.

in all honesty i have only used the sprayer provided with the pro kit from dipyourcar.com. I can not confidently tell you what other sprayer will work and or what would be needed to make it work.

When we are finished we use " plastidip thinner" i buy it by the gallon from this place.

http://usplastics.com/

i put about 3-5 oz in the paint canister, shake it up until the canister is clean inside and then run it through the gun into a garbage can etc. Then repeat. The use a towel slightly damp with thinner to wipe everything down.

OK-

I got a few cans at HD today - my interest is in temporary protection at the track for the nose and mirrors etc. - I will see if it thins with anything I have around and will report back. Note: Additional research says it has to spray air-less -- so a compressor is out, I suppose. Thanks SourceNSX

Last edited:
Brian,

Have you used or seen the Monster Green color used? Do you know if it is "glossy" or like all the others and matte? I was really thinking about doing this to my DD for a couple months for sh**s and giggles.

Brian,

Have you used or seen the Monster Green color used? Do you know if it is "glossy" or like all the others and matte? I was really thinking about doing this to my DD for a couple months for sh**s and giggles.

I have not used it. But all colors are matte. I've been bouncing that color around and just can't pull the trigger on it.

FAIR WARNING: The blue... is BLUE. Bright and loud blue... I went from Matte black to matte blue on the TL last night and man is it bright. At first I hated it.. But it may or may not be growing on me :) My daughter really wanted me to do the car in blue so I went for it. We will see how she likes it.

Better pics will come soon but you get the idea..

f4b05576.jpg

0dc57eae.jpg

dc7738e1.jpg

Last edited:
SOURCENSX,

I'm not sure if I'm liking that blue color. just my taste...

I see a white NSX back there :) Is that plastidip too?

I'm curious about how dirty a white plastidip can be and how difficult is it to clean it.... I'm beginning to like white NSX now :)

SOURCENSX,

I'm not sure if I'm liking that blue color. just my taste...

I see a white NSX back there :) Is that plastidip too?

I'm curious about how dirty a white plastidip can be and how difficult is it to clean it.... I'm beginning to like white NSX now :)

That White NSX is actually a Vinyl wrapped one :)
kyles2.jpg

Can see why your daughter likes it.....looks a little like that smurf blue that you would see on M3's. Now you've dialed the orange one back and now bright blue on your DD. I'm thinking your not as against bright colors as you claim. Got to admit was hoping to see one sprayed in white. Have gotten over trying to keep a black one clean but have always liked how they look in white and silver. Your guys are making me think about it for sure.

Just got in my package of plasti-dip and did some experimentation on my truck ( before I would every spray any sort of paint on my NSX ) and it turned out fantastic! I just did the tail gate half clear and half black and then glossed over the black. It came off just as easy as they say and the finish was very smooth! Now to finish up the plans for the NSX.

Can see why your daughter likes it.....looks a little like that smurf blue that you would see on M3's. Now you've dialed the orange one back and now bright blue on your DD. I'm thinking your not as against bright colors as you claim. Got to admit was hoping to see one sprayed in white. Have gotten over trying to keep a black one clean but have always liked how they look in white and silver. Your guys are making me think about it for sure.

No really, I'm not liking the blue.. But she saw it tonight and wow she flipped out. Loves it ( of course )!

Not sure if I'll keep it or re-spray it. We shall see.

Let me know Greg :) we can dip it white whenever you want! Car looked and sounded good the other day when I saw you!

Last edited:
i love that blue lol:tongue:, it looks great

Brian,
Will have to stop by and catch up with you on a few questions as really tempted to change color. Almost wish my paint was in worse shape to make it an easier decision:smile. Have watched the white M3 dip video a couple of times.

Thanks for the comment, really pleased with the NSX. Have you and the gang at Source 1 to thank for setting everything up. Having owned over 70 different cars, few fall into the truly special category. Still want to better that 13.6 in it the 1/4 but not sure a 102 degree evening will help with that. Is a white one worth a few more tenths. Are you going to be running yours tomorrow?

Brian,
Will have to stop by and catch up with you on a few questions as really tempted to change color. Almost wish my paint was in worse shape to make it an easier decision:smile. Have watched the white M3 dip video a couple of times.

Thanks for the comment, really pleased with the NSX. Have you and the gang at Source 1 to thank for setting everything up. Having owned over 70 different cars, few fall into the truly special category. Still want to better that 13.6 in it the 1/4 but not sure a 102 degree evening will help with that. Is a white one worth a few more tenths. Are you going to be running yours tomorrow?

As always we are happy to help :)

No I won't run it again until I have the catch can installed. I don't want to risk tossing oil on the track again. It's going to be super hot tomorrow.. Not looking forward to it at all :(

Hmm not sure if white is a faster color or not :)

Are your prices the same as the dip.com? Im looking to order a kit and would prefer to support a prime vendor. Also does the gloss come in a gallon or do you have to buy it in a spray can. I'm going to change my black S2k into matte white and want to do the wheels in gloss white.

Are your prices the same as the dip.com? Im looking to order a kit and would prefer to support a prime vendor. Also does the gloss come in a gallon or do you have to buy it in a spray can. I'm going to change my black S2k into matte white and want to do the wheels in gloss white.

Yes, My prices are the same. Thanks!

Gloss is only in cans yes.

We are changing a yellow S2k to matte white today :) Can't wait to see how it turns out.

How does the Plasti-dip on wheels stand again car wash? With a lot of brake dust I have been using simple green and a brush. Can a brush be used to clean the wheels after plastidip?

Thanks,

How does the Plasti-dip on wheels stand again car wash? With a lot of brake dust I have been using simple green and a brush. Can a brush be used to clean the wheels after plastidip?

Thanks,

It is recommended to NOT use anything with fiber etc on the dip. It cleans up very easily with a rubber product. They sell it on the site and you can go to an auto parts store and buy an " ABSORBER" to use. Both are rubber based and you can use it with soap and water. Remember this is basically a petroleum based product. Stuff comes off of it a lot easier than other things. I rarely use anything on them. Simply run it through a touchless car wash and usually does the trick.

Back