• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

PLEASE HELP Replacing Valve cover gasket and grommet fell inside engine

While taking off the rear valve cover, one of the grommets fell inside the engine. I could not see it anyhwere as it looks to have dropped to the bottom. I have tried using a mirror and a magnet to fish it out but no luck. Has anyone had this problem before? I am thinking it may have drop to the bottom of the oil pan. Could anyone please help.

I have had this problem too many times to count:):).

You need to check the rear beam, by the bracket for the rear sway bar, passenger side (ask me how I know!!). There are a few areas right there that can hold the washer. Whatever you do, FIND IT, if it melts to the exhaust you will not be happy. BTW, I am sure if it is a lower washer, I have never had one actually enter the engine internals, always caught in the suspension/rearbeam. Get the car up in the air, get a magnet, go fishing with a strong light. You will find it;). BTW, in my NSX tech sessions over the years at NSXPO's, this is why I ALWAYS recommend taking the spark plugs out LAST. There are over 40 fasteners holding the covers on, plus the 12 washers.

Good Luck,
LarryB

Last edited:
:frown: thank you so much Larry. I have looked everywhere, underneath the car and around the rear part of the engine. The rear end is lifted and the exhaust manifold is off because I was changing the gasket for that also. I think it may have fell inside the internal part of the engine. However I have use a light and mirror and inside the engine internals seems to be clear. Could it have dropped into the oil pan? Has anyone ever had this happen before? The grommet is a washer on the top and plastic on the bottom portion. If I start the engine I am sure it would damage it. Could someone please help. I am going to drain the oil and see if it has dropped into the oil pan.

Last edited:
:frown: thank you so much Larry. I have looked everywhere. I think it have have fell inside the internal part of the engine. Any solution for this?

There are only two places it could have gone, on top of your head or outside of your engine. 99.9% sure it's outside the engine somewhere. I lost one before, and didn't find it for 4-5 months when I finally found it on the front beam when I did my headers.

:frown: thank you so much Larry. I have looked everywhere, underneath the car and around the rear part of the engine. The rear end is lifted and the exhaust manifold is off because I was changing the gasket for that also. I think it may have fell inside the internal part of the engine. However I have use a light and mirror and inside the engine internals seems to be clear. Could it have dropped into the oil pan? Has anyone ever had this happen before? The grommet is a washer on the top and plastic on the bottom portion. If I start the engine I am sure it would damage it. Could someone please help. I am going to drain the oil and see if it has dropped into the oil pan.

I do not beleive one of these can even fit into the spark plug hole, or oil return bore, they are too big, again I have dropped 100's of these after changing many hundreds of valve covers, never had one end up in the engine internals, front beam yes for front VC washers(as stated b EAC), rear beam for rear VC washers.

Check in front of the passenger side sway bar bracket, there is a little cavity in there, very hard to see, and most times this is there they end up. Recovered my 10mm socket from there a few times as well;).

I do not beleive one of these can even fit into the spark plug hole, or oil return bore, they are too big, again I have dropped 100's of these after changing many hundreds of valve covers, never had one end up in the engine internals, front beam yes for front VC washers(as stated b EAC), rear beam for rear VC washers.

Check in front of the passenger side sway bar bracket, there is a little cavity in there, very hard to see, and most times this is there they end up. Recovered my 10mm socket from there a few times as well;).

Funny you mention that, when I did my headers; I also found my long lost 10mm socket. :biggrin:

Thanks guys. You are right it wouldn't actually fit inside the engine actually. I don't know where it is and I have been searching everywhere. The rear beam is also clear but I will search some more. I don't want to take the risk of it being inside so I just drained the oil. It was one of the middle grommets on the valve cover my the spark plug holes. Hopefully I find this thing because my heart skips a beat everytime I think about it. Thanks for all your help. I appreciate everything that you guys have said. This is why nsx prime is such a great place. I will keep you guys updated. thanks

It's a [rubber?] gromet... it will be eaten up and burn; big woop :) You're not going to blow a cylinder or an engine with it.. that is if in fact, it's there.

No, it's a rubber grommet with a metal casing.

Thanks guys. You are right it wouldn't actually fit inside the engine actually. I don't know where it is and I have been searching everywhere. The rear beam is also clear but I will search some more. I don't want to take the risk of it being inside so I just drained the oil. It was one of the middle grommets on the valve cover my the spark plug holes. Hopefully I find this thing because my heart skips a beat everytime I think about it. Thanks for all your help. I appreciate everything that you guys have said. This is why nsx prime is such a great place. I will keep you guys updated. thanks

OK, wait a moment, I was not understanding you. This is a spark plug grommet from the middle of the valve cover? If so, you should carefully check the valve train (maybe you already have) , and cams. Then go back under again. There is a bracket called the stiffiner just above the front cat, check above it. The metal ones will roll out, but if it is a spark plug grommet it could get stuck in there.

Regards,
LarryB

Yes, I have checked everywhere guys. In between the cam shafts and around the timing belt. I have the valve cover, exhaust manifold (changing gasket due to burning oil from the valve cover gasket and plug seal leak), catalytic converters, and the complete exhaust system off. I have also decided to change the speed and o2 sensors because they went out recently. It may have fallen in between the cam shafts and deep enough where it can not be seen. I have the car raised with both rear wheels and exhaust system off. I have checked time and time again and it did not fall into the spark plug tubes nor in between the cam shafts (at least to where I could spot it). I could get in and see the engine internals pretty easy with a mirror and a bright light. Still nothing. I also have checked the rear beam that you guys were referring to. Yes, it is the plastic grommet with the metal casing on the top to hold down the valve cover. I am going to try my luck again in the morning. thanks guys.

Well I just found the grommet guys. It was on the passenger side right under the trunk! Theres a compartment there and I don't know how it jumped up to that spot but it was there. Thank you so much for everything guys. You are the best. One last question, when changing the plug cam seals what is the torque specs for the 12mm bolts for the cam covers?

22Nm or 16 ft.lbs for the 12mm - 24 per head

10Nm or 7 ft.lbs for the 4 10mm on the front head

You NEED a servce manual so you can torque them in the correct sequence.

Regards,
LarryB

Unfortunately, I have limited access to anything with acura in this town. There is not an acura dealership only a honda dealership. All the information I could get is basically from you guys or off the internet. You are right I really do need a service manual but my time is limited. Any other places that I could purchase a manual? I am new to the forum and I just purchased my dream car a month ago. The car was completely stock and was leaking everywhere imaginable. I replaced all the gaskets and seals that caused it to smoke. Please let me know if anyone has a picture of the sequence or know where I could purchase a manual. thanks!

thanks so much wavy. I found it last night. 16 lbs/ft on top crankshaft bolts sounds a little low though. I did it today and the cam plugs were leaking like crazy.

BTW, Did a timing belt on an '02 last evening. 20 minutes to find my short 10mm socket I dropped:D:D:D. Even though I thought I had seen it all, it was on the rear beam, stuck in a new spot!!!!

Regards,
LarryB

thanks so much wavy. I found it last night. 16 lbs/ft on top crankshaft bolts sounds a little low though. I did it today and the cam plugs were leaking like crazy.

Did you use hondabond on those cam plugs or some kind of cam plug sealant?

Last edited:
Back