• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

plugs not plugged (?)

dear all,
This afternoon, i dismanteled the complete stereo for reparation (NSX form 1991, LHD from France).
And i found some plug from wire harness not connected.
Did you know the use of each one?
Is it normal?
IMG_1686.jpg
red and blue plugs (under the clovebox) close to the subwoofer

IMG_1687.jpg

2 grey plugs
IMG_1691.jpg
those plugs behind stereo head unit

The blue plug in the first photo almost looks like it is your service check connector; but, I don't remember a red mounting tab on mine like the one in your photo. Check the wire colors. Green / white and blue would be the correct wire colors for a 1991. The one wire in the photo looks like green / white; but, I can't tell whether the other wire is blue or blue with a white trace.

I think that red connector is C239 the ABS test connector (normally unconnected)

Last edited:
The blue is engine control diagnosis. The red is ALB.

The taped connector to the stereo connector is normal. Can't remember application.

The big connectors (answered below by Old Guy) they are the SCU. Seems this vehicle has wiring issues...

Last edited:
For the second photo, count the number of cavities in each plug. If one plug has 22 and the other has 16 that might be the connections to the security control unit. Does your security system operate? If it is not the SCU, pull the carpet back from the right side of the passenger footwell. This should expose a bracket with a bunch of plugs mounted on it. See if anything is missing.

In the last photo, that sure likes like C420, the 16 cavity connector that would plug into the back of the head unit, particularly since it has the 2 cavity C421 connector taped to it.

[MENTION=26435]Old Guy[/MENTION]. I think you are correct. Now that I'm on my desktop...those look like AMP MultiLock 040 connectors, and that set would be used on the Security Control Unit.

This would be a "solution" to damaged wires or sensors. Not normal, but understandable as it is not a critical system and can be extremely expensive/time-consuming to deal with....unplugging just reduces annoyance at the expense of security.

Last edited:
I forget this one
IMG_1703.jpg
it was plug behind the head unit and I though it was for the CD charger... but I didn't find the cd changer in my NSX :confused:...is it the same for you? is it pre-wired when the car is build?

Pre wired when the car is built. I think it may have varied with the production year; but, on my 2000 the other end of the cable was tucked up near the top left part of the trunk close to the hinge location.

I'm pretty sure the CD player kit included the long DIN cable that made the trip to the mounting location on right side of the trunk.

Same with the cell phone unit.

Both these cables are good conduits for other electronic items in the trunk...such as a back up camera, mass storage device, or comms to lower the antenna.

Yep on US cars it is trunk stage R standing at rear of car.

That is interesting because mine is up on the left side. Some time I will have to check to see if there is now a bunch of loose cable stuffed behind the trunk liner if it originally ran over to the right side.

Edit:

For what it is worth, the cable for the CD changer has 3 sections. From the head unit to a connector on the back bulk head inside the car. From the back bulk head to a connector at the top left of the trunk. From the top left of the trunk to the right side of the trunk where the CD changer would normally be installed. This photo shows the DIN connector (C505) on the left side of the trunk.

My car had a very non standard CD drive installation. When I replaced it with a Grom the C505 connector made for a convenient install with the Grom attached to the top inside of the trunk with velcro tape behind the trunk liner. A short extension makes the USB flash drive easily accessible.

Attachments

• CD changer connection.jpg
    CD changer connection.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Back