• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Polising stuff

Just pulled the magnesium intake cover off my motor and polished it up. I can not believe what it looks like! This stuff has the look of shiny, liquid mercury when it is buffed up.

I was in Home Depot the other day and noticed that nice, entry level bench grinders were only $40 - $50, so I bought one and some buffing wheels, rouge, etc. Polishing parts is a lot easier than I thought, it just takes some time.

A few really basic tips for those who want to try polishing stuff up:

- Don't use much pressure at all. Let the wheel do the work.
- Get a wire wheel, as welll as a cloth buffing wheel. It is good for stripping stuff like powder coating and is also good for going over rougher items (cast parts). Be careful with it though, it takes off more material than you would think.
- Get a variety of rouge compunds. At least the basic white and red sold at HD.
- Use a Dremel tool to get hard to reach places. And, buy a Dremel tool with a cord. Do not be tempted by the B&D battery ones - they look convenient, but go through batteries too fast.
- If you have to use a Dremel to get some spots, completely finish each step of polishing before going to the next. You will be tempted to really polish a spot or two once you get part of it close, but don't. It will come out more evenly polished and take less work if you use the Dremel to finsih each step before going to the nexlt. Don't think you can go back and make it look the same.
- Keep the part moving slowly on the wheel. You will heat the part less and buff more evenly. Also, change the direction (angle) the wheel touches the part. If not, small scratches parallel to the wheel will turn into waves and take much longer to buff out.
- Set up your work area so it is comfortable. you are going to be there for a while.
- You will probably need spacers to fit the buffing wheel on the grinder, as it is narrower than the stones. Spacers are cheap and fit in between the outsides of the buffing wheel and the big washer type parts that go on either side. Put the spacers between the wheel and the flanges/washers that came with the grinder.
- Obviously, wear eye protection. I also use a paper mask and leather gloves.

Last, buy a pair of sunglasses so you can look at your engine compartment safely. : )

------------------
Don't no nuttin 'bout no NSX;
Don't no nuttin 'bout birthin' no babbies.

[This message has been edited by David (edited 02 August 2001).]

The man has 30+ thousand dollars to dump into his 500+ horsepower Twin Turbo NSX, but won't buy a Digital Cam...
Yes...he too suffers from an NSX obsession like most of us.

Back