• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Polycarbonate stuff (rear hatch & windows)

Received some stuff. Rear hatch from SoS and side windows from plastics4performance.com.

nsx_51.JPG

The laters will replace my homemade (hence not perfect) polycarbonate windows which cost me almost nothing five years ago.

nsx_allegement_15.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah I saw this difference. Here during trackdays we have to run with windows up (or maximum 10 cm open). Windows down or no windows is allowed only if you have a curtain to prevent your arms or head to come out of the car.

yeah same here windows up unless you have a net, my lexan hatch has arrived from the UK I just have to get it installed

please make sure you guys update us on actual weight of the old pieces and the new pieces so we have another source for the weight info.

Thanks.

Dave

What coatings are you using on these pieces? I had MR-10 coated stuff but it still resulted in excessive glare and reflection in the sun after a few years.

So much so that I finally got rid of my lexan pieces and went to custom thinner glass on the engine bay divider and side windows. I tempered those for strength and then put a home security film on the inside in the event of a crash. I'm working on a custom hatch design that will have to be a polycarbonate unfortunately.

I do not know what SoS and plastics4performance uses as anti-reflective treatment. I can understand the problem on a street driven NSX. Plus the fact that the polycarbonate scratches easily.

Sorry - I wasn't very clear: The MR-10 is for scratch-resistance. Even with this coating, over time, fine scratches would still form and scatter the sunlight so bad it was almost impossible to see through the windows in the sun. My divider wall and side windows became dangerous on the street.

This was for daily use on the street after many years and tens of thousands of miles. If it is just used for limited miles on tracks, you should be able to keep it polished and clear!

Edit:
I checked out the plastics4performance website. Apparently Rob Fenn used their stuff too. That company offers the hardcoat option of Marguard (commonly called MR-10 like I did above)... for an extra $600!

Maybe it's better to skip that option and just polish frequently!

If you are replacing your hatch and door windows, I would also change the divider window. The center divider window was a lot of work to save about 7 or 8 pounds. Removing the OEM glass was a pain. Installing the lexan was simple. Installing my custom-cut thin tempered/safety-laminated glass wasn't too difficult. I removed the hatch struts to make it easier when placing the window and adhesive.

script>

Last edited:
How much total weight did you drop with the lexan parts? I don't know much about these lexan kits, are they worth it in a street car and will they swap right in and still roll up and down or no?

I found a bit of time to work on the track toy. I replaced my home made polycarbonate windows (buldged with a hot air gun) with ones from plastics4performance.com. The fit is nice (even in my case where I am not using the rails anymore).

nsx_55.JPG

nsx_56.JPG

nsx_57.JPG

Back