• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Popping off crankshaft pulley

I'm in the middle of a bunch of mods/maintenance, including replacing the alternator and compressor belts. So I figure I'd amortize my work and install the Cedar Ridge pulley shield from SOS. In theory, I can just remove the bolt at the end, pull the pulley, install the shield, and reassemble, correct (no issues with timing to worry about)? There's some kind of keyway for the pulley? I know the torques are high and it's gonna be a bitch, but is this as "simple" as I'm imagining?

BTW, I'm just about done with a Pride header install. That has been, without a doubt, the biggest PITA mechanical job I've ever tackled. It's not complicated, per se, but it's not fun trying to work around all the various conflicts and the limited space to reach fasteners.

The pulley bolt is usually WAY over torqued. I use a 3/4" drive impact gun to remove it, but other owners have had success with stuff like 6 ft pipes on a 3/4" breaker bar. Removing the bolt can be a multi-day ordeal without the right tool. With the right tool (a big honkin' impact gun), it's 10 seconds.

They key here is to make sure that you do not move the crankshaft even 0.5mm counterclockwise- it will slacken the timing belt and now you will have a much bigger job to do. :)

Otherwise, it's as simple as you imagine. The pulley is keyed and will come off fairly easily.

Thanks, as always @Honcho. I think part of 15 years of wrenching is knowing when not to be stupid and invite problems. I'll leave this task for the next TB change, I think....

Thanks, as always @Honcho. I think part of 15 years of wrenching is knowing when not to be stupid and invite problems. I'll leave this task for the next TB change, I think....
Smart plan- I recommend replacing the pulley every other TB service for "normal" usage and every service for NSXs that are tracked heavily. The failure rate of the rubber insulator in the pulley depends on mostly heat and load.

Back