• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Porsche 997 911TT

A modern day 911 is probably as reliable as a NSX. This is up to 100K miles since I don't know of any 997's in the 100K mile range.

My 3 is not my DD but I have 13K miles on it without any major issues. It does have a small RMS leak which is a bit disappointing.

Re: Porsche 997 911TT vs. NSX

Would you mind elaborating what the rationale was? Thank you.

Per Excellence magazine, Oct 2009, Porsche Market Update on the 911 Turbo:

..., but the best news is for buyers interested in 996 Turbos.These car - a stunning achievement in performance terms when new and still impressive today - are among the best used-Porsche values on the market.​

I didn't realize the prices of 996 Turbos came down so much until I read that article. They were slightly more expensive than some of the 997C4/C4S I was looking. Also, originally I ruled out the 996 generation because of the RMS/IMS problems that plagued the early 986/996. Upon further research, I learned the 996TT engine was evolved from the GT1 engine and thus very different from those in the "regular" 996. Then the right car came along, and the wife approved :smile:

Yeah, the color helps for sure... but this thing in person is pretty damn impressive. A wide body Porsche looks good, I don't care how many you've seen. (Unless you live in Cali I guess... but then F430's probably get old too!).

The rear seats fold flat, you can then lay your clubs across them as long as you take your driver and woods out... those can then go across the back diagonal from the floor to the opposite side. You can get two sets of clubs back there as long as you're not carrying huge bags. The front storage isn't huge, but it's deep...

I'm about to embark on a 1500 mile road trip with a buddy this weekend in the car... we'll have more room than we'll need for sure. The cabin is much larger in general...

The NSX is different enough that I really think you could own both of these cars and not tire of either of them... but if you had to chose just one... well, I made my decision. Another major factor is the back seats and the ability to take my children to car events or just out for a drive. I think that's cool. And yes, the 35 being old thing is a joke, or I'll be driving a Buick at 38.

Your color P-car is definitely unique ~ that burnt orange is kinda like the Imola Orange NSX color! Attracts way more attention than any other color but of course it has a lot to do with the area you live. It seems CA in general and Miami has more P-cars than any place I know. No one even glances at Ferrari's here that much...

I went from a 997 GT3 to the NSX. The GT3 has no rear seats but does have plenty of space for a set of golf clubs. To me I could care less since I only need space for my triple ball bowling bag roller :cool:

997 TT is a nice all around FAST car that can be daily driven as quoted by many of the car mags. It's not as raw as the GT2/GT3 cars for sure but light years ahead of the NSX in terms of electronic gadgetry. This is both good when it works and bad when it's out of warranty.

I would say if you are leaving a CTSC NSX, the natural progression should be to a GT3 or GT2 if you really have cash to burn but those cars are like 170k new! ouch For $170k, I would take the v10 R8 anyday over Porsches since to me all Porsches have the same bland styling (except the CGG of course and the new 918 hybrid)

rick

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W-6JUvqhLK8&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W-6JUvqhLK8&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

997 Turbo is one superb, unpretentious performer. The only things I don't like about the car are the early wheels, and all the slits on the vents.
Too busy looking for such an amazing car.
Steve

Last edited:
porsche_911_997_gt2_rs_11_08.jpg

So when the GT2 RS shows up......

This is a great thread. I've recently decided to sell my NSX and acquire a 996TT.

Big advantages to the 997.2 turbo - if you have that kind of dough - it's a no brainer!

The 996 and 997 are still plagued by a few minor issues like the RMS leak and some other ones and the 997 which is a evolution of the 996 engine has some of those issues but if the RMS has been replaced already it should be a good car. The intermediate shaft bearing issue is another story. But most don't develop that.

The storage issue - you can put the rear seats down and put golf bags/clubs there. It has more luggage space than an NSX - you gotta agree with that. You have the front trunk too for luggage. I've surely thought of these things for later down the road but I haven't got the cash for anything new like that!

The 997.2 with direct fuel injection from what my friend tells me about his - his is a non turbo - it is great - doesn't burn oil and it doesn't have the lay shaft/intermediate shaft at all and the RMS is not a problem with it. It's a good one at least that's the thought now - but they haven't been out that long. I'm still watching this. But the new turbo - is DYNOMITE! Walter Rohl loves it and it's the first one he's ever gotten with the automatic trans - and paddle shifters! I kind of think it's going to be awesome! Try it and let us know! We'll be waiting. :wink:

Most of this is accurate except for the RMS issue. The 996 and 997 Turbos both use a completely different engine than the Carrera which have well documented issues with the RMS failures. The 996 and 997 Turbos use the block from the Le Mans winning GT1 basically. The Turbos are a completely different animal than the Carrera, and a lot more robust in the engine and transmission departments.

Last edited:
I think it looks awesome. Porsche has had bolt-on fenders for decades.

Does the new GT3 Cup car look cheap too? Subjective question but I don't think so:

Agree 100%. The current generation of fender extensions on the 997.2 GT3RS and the 997.2 GT2RS look way better than the ones that they used to have on cars like the 993GT2.

Pretty sure that if Porsche wanted they could design and build a specific front fender/bumper that was wider for the RS versions but they decided to keep up with their historic tradition thus the fender/bumper extensions.

BTW: When you look at a 997.2 GT3RS the last thing that your eyes will be drawn to are the fender extensions ;) Funy to write this given that I was drooling over a blue 997.2 GT3RS a few hours ago at the local P-car dealer :cool:.

Back