• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Porsche 997 911TT

Re: Porsche 997 911TT vs. NSX

you have a super charged NSX and want to downgrade to a Porsche?

this isnt a late April fools Joke is it?

I would keep your NSX.

When you get to take that test drive you will know.

Porsche is so 80's

except the GT

Go to the dealer and drive one.
They wont mind.

What are you looking for ?
Thrills behind the wheel ?
Looks ?
Durability ?
Uniqueness ?

Many would say what you currently have fits the bill.
Of all the Porsche Turbo cars my personal favorite is the 996GT2 as far as the above criteria. Not for the faint of heart. Like the NSX depreciation is almost gone.
997TT would be more livable in more ways than one.

you have a super charged NSX and want to downgrade to a Porsche?

this isnt a late April fools Joke is it?

I would keep your NSX.

When you get to take that test drive you will know.

Porsche is so 80's

except the GT

We all love the NSX and all but your statement is kind of ridiculous.
A 997 TT smokes any CTSC'd NSX.
Also, the OP has owned multiple NSX's.

Charley
Go and get a test drive in one. You had a 996 for not so long. I'm sure there are improvements in the 997.

I drove a 997 turbo a few months ago.

Here are my thoughts.

Pros:
-FAST! It pushes you back in the seat hard. Much harder than any SC NSX I have ever been in. I giggled every time the boost came up.
- Nice ride
- comfortable
- high quality interior with the leather package.

Cons
- Doesn't look unique
- Doesnt sound great (stock)
- Not much storage space. Certainly no room for golf clubs unless you put them in the passenger seat.

There is no question it will stomp a CTSC NSX.

I think the NSX is a better daily driving car, but if you just want a toy to haul ass in, I would vote 997.2 Turbo!

Last edited:

Big advantages to the 997.2 turbo - if you have that kind of dough - it's a no brainer!

The 996 and 997 are still plagued by a few minor issues like the RMS leak and some other ones and the 997 which is a evolution of the 996 engine has some of those issues but if the RMS has been replaced already it should be a good car. The intermediate shaft bearing issue is another story. But most don't develop that.

The storage issue - you can put the rear seats down and put golf bags/clubs there. It has more luggage space than an NSX - you gotta agree with that. You have the front trunk too for luggage. I've surely thought of these things for later down the road but I haven't got the cash for anything new like that!

The 997.2 with direct fuel injection from what my friend tells me about his - his is a non turbo - it is great - doesn't burn oil and it doesn't have the lay shaft/intermediate shaft at all and the RMS is not a problem with it. It's a good one at least that's the thought now - but they haven't been out that long. I'm still watching this. But the new turbo - is DYNOMITE! Walter Rohl loves it and it's the first one he's ever gotten with the automatic trans - and paddle shifters! I kind of think it's going to be awesome! Try it and let us know! We'll be waiting. :wink:

I drove a 997 turbo a few months ago.

Here are my thoughts.

Pros:
-FAST! It pushes you back in the seat hard. Much harder than any SC NSX I have ever been in. I giggled every time the boost came up.
- Nice ride
- comfortable
- high quality interior with the leather package.

Cons
- Doesn't look unique
- Doesnt sound great (stock)
- Not much storage space. Certainly no room for golf clubs unless you put them in the passenger seat.

There is no question it will stomp a CTSC NSX.

I think the NSX is a better daily driving car, but if you just want a toy to haul ass in, I would vote 997.2 Turbo!

I've never owned a Porsche, but I thought the turbo cars used a different block than the normal 996/997. Based on the race motor from the GT1, is what I remember reading, and because of that not likely to have the RMS problem.

The storage issue - you can put the rear seats down and put golf bags/clubs there. It has more luggage space than an NSX - you gotta agree with that. You have the front trunk too for luggage. :

I didn't get a chance to try that, but it seemed awfully tight to me.

I've never owned a Porsche, but I thought the turbo cars used a different block than the normal 996/997. Based on the race motor from the GT1, is what I remember reading, and because of that not likely to have the RMS problem.

I had heard that too, but Adrian Streather straightened me out. They come off the same line - same motor with the same issues. That's what I was told. There were guys on the Renn list that had RMS issues in their 996 TT. The lay shaft bearing issue is surely of some concern or there wouldn't be a company that makes an aftermarket bearing. Excellence devoted to months with articles each month on the install and history. IT was what kept me out of a 4S and moved me into the NSX. Glad of it - no more worries about that.

On the seats - my old 993 which has a smaller track and wheelbase than the later water coolers, when i put the seats down I fit two bags back there - had to take out he drivers but that's not too bad of a hassle. I've thought about travel over the country when I retire and that 997.2 Targa is "a tallkina to me". Unless they build a roof top carrier that is sleek for the NSX, I might have to go that way.

Ray05NSX has both a 2005 NSX and a new 997S with PDK and has tracked both. He loves the both, but I'm sure he would be happy to share his experiences.

Perhaps its the Turbo that makes the 997 TT unusable as an everyday car but to be honest my 997 is a way better daily driver than the NSX. IMO it feels better...

The NSX has more space in the rear trunk and its alot easier to access than the rear seats of the 911. However, the 911's front trunk is deep and great for the weekly grocery shop!

As I've said before I'd love to have both in my garage at the same time (working on it).

I would consider the 993TT. Absolutely Gorgeous car.

Too bad it costs more than a 997TT :eek:

993TT is a fabulous car. Other than a modern GT its the only Pcar I would own. Just my opinion.

Have never tried a 997. Have a 993TT. Great car. difficult to drive at low speed but at high speed it is wonderful. But the NSX is a much better and easier daily car especially in slow traffic.

LOve to have a 997 turbo with the PDK. Dreaming of that or a F430.

Just Do It!!!

Get a slightly used 997TT and save $30-40K off original MSRP so you can justify modding your new toy.

I've had a 996TT, 996C2 & even a 993 for awhile. Some items I'd note on the
997TT -
> sure it has more storage space, but IMO it's less functional than having a trunk.
> Sure they are more common, but throw on some 19"s and aero parts & it will definitely look unique. Got more comments in my modified 996TT than in my nsx.
> Maintenance is definitely more expensive, and in general is less reliable than the nsx.
> flash the ecu, and it will make the supercharged nsx feel slow.
> depreciates twice a fast as an nsx
> 996TT's are notorious for burning oil...everyone I knew burned about a quart of oil a month daily driving it.

People make way too much of an issue of the RMS leak. Firstly, it is only a common problem on narrow body 996/997, not the turbo and 4S as they have a different design. In 8 years on the Porsche forums I've never known anyone w/ a turbo having a rms problem.(had it on my 996C2) Plus, if you do get an rms leak, you pay $800-900 to fix it, or your warranty will cover it. Not a big deal.

I love the nsx I have now, but if you've never had a Porsche turbo, you should definitely try one.

Anyone have any experience with a 997 Turbo? Any owners in the MD area willing to take me for a test drive?
I've been driving my sponsor's 997TT around for the past month and it is an AWESOME car.

I'm not sure about all the comments saying it is not daily-driveable because the turbo was designed for doctors and dentists and a luxury GT car. It's comfortable, easy to drive, lots of power, nice interior, and you sit higher in it than the NSX -which makes getting in and out easier. I'm pretty sure it does share the GT1 block configuration with the 996 (with revisions) but it is a separate motor than the troubled 996/7 blocks.

The 996/7tts are much more refined and daily-driveable than the 993tt. I love my uncle's 993tt but if you're going for that then by all means, but the 996/7 is easier to live with if that's what you're going for. Most german cars consume oil. Get over it. My E36 M3 consumes 1qt/1,000 miles and is running strong. That's why they have huge sumps to begin with and have little reminders in the car telling you to check your oil level regularly.

You don't get the attention of the NSX ("Is that a Ferrari?" or "Nice Prelude man!" - honda emblem), because it's just another 911. You do get talked to by people who know it's a Turbo and they tend to carry more relevant conversations.

You will get NSX purists suggesting otherwise as you will get Porsche lovers if you asked the same thing on Porsche forums. Go test drive one yourself and make your own decision.

Not a 997, but the 6 is similar in many ways. I love them:

CP2_0618.jpg

Isn't anyone sceptical of direct injection? I thought Audi was having real problems with theirs.

This is the exact car I will upgrade to once I sell my nsx. I am pretty certain the turbo models have a different engine and less problems than the standard Carrera, S or 4s models. It is a great car with the AWD and it is faster than just about every nsx besides a select few turbo cars and even those have issues because they can't launch well enough to compare to AWD. I have driven a 600whp NSX and it feels fast as F*&^! However, 997TT is another league. Hell, you can mod those cars quite easily too. They have Sharkwerks, Fabspeed and dozens of companies that do work on those cars. I mean they have some super fast Carreras running around.

It is probably a little more expensive to mod and maintain but won't most cars be compared to an NSX? I hate hearing that a 911 turbo doesn't look unique enough. That car is plenty different than a stock Carrera to me and honestly, who cares! It drives like the best car you will own. I would take that car over just about any other car with price as no object. The rare exceptions would be a Weismann with a V10, a Ford GT, Zonda R or a 1994 McLaren F1

It is a great car with the AWD and it is faster than just about every nsx besides a select few turbo cars and even those have issues because they can't launch well enough to compare to AWD. I have driven a 600whp NSX and it feels fast as F*&^! However, 997TT is another league.
:confused:

It is probably a little more expensive to mod and maintain but won't most cars be compared to an NSX? I hate hearing that a 911 turbo doesn't look unique enough. That car is plenty different than a stock Carrera to me and honestly, who cares! It drives like the best car you will own. I would take that car over just about any other car with price as no object.
Depends on what you're looking for but while it's a great car and I too really like it, there are some fantastic cars out there: GT2, GT2 RS (hell yea), GT3, GT3 RS, Carrera GT, Viper ACR, Ford GT, F430, F430 Scuderia, The New McLaren, CLK63 AMG Black Series, M5, Noble M12, and many more...

Just to clarify:

1. A 997 has way more interior storage room behind the front seats than any NSX:tongue:
2. The Turbo block is a GT1 block that is an evolution of the old 964 GT1 block. I.E. - it has NO relationship with a "regular" 911 engine.
3. My GT3 is much easier to get in than my NSX(Type R Susp). The Turbo should be easier than the GT3.

BTW, the new 997.2 TT is absolute monster and the only thing that can beat it is a Veyron or a Gallardo TT!

Back