• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Porsche 997 911TT

Re: Porsche 997 911TT vs. NSX

0-60 in 2.8. I can't think of any car other than the Veyron that does a 0-60 in less than 3 secs.

Sure, for the automatic transmission.

I would agree if that is the only performance metric that you look at.

If you look at 1/4 mile, the Zr1 is faster than a 997.2. If the Zr1 had the same tranny as the 997 I think it would be a lot faster.

I have a friend with a 997 turbo, he ended up selling it because he said it wasnt all that fun to drive daily because unless you get on the boost it wasnt that fun, but if you get on the boost, you are busting speed limits very fast. He ended up getting a large ticket and getting the car impounded. He sold it and bought an older NA 911.

Personally though, I want the turbo!... nsx turbo!:biggrin::biggrin:

I say, different cars altogether.

If I had the money, I'd take the 911 TT. Absolutely a phenomenal car that you can you daily drive.

There is definitely more room to pack bags and such and then all you have to do is dip your foot into the floor and seriously AWAY YOU GO!

Stuntman has it right for sure...more of a GT car.

when I go to the track every time at the front of the pack over long periods, lots of Porsches.

It does take away the "exotic" factor because it's "just a Porsche" kinda like how some people see a ZR-1 and say it's just a Corvette.

Go for a drive in it and then you will be able to gauge how you feel about it.

Eventually I will have another one! You can pack a lot of stuff in a 911. The new 997.2 is a winner! So far anyway. If you want to read blogs about some of the issues with the early water coolers there are problems. If anyone is serious about getting a Porsche and doesn't know a lot about them - start reading Excellence - you'll get an education. Bruce Anderson's Market review is a great source and this month the feature are the water coolers - I suggest you read that. There is a lot to know about 911 water coolers. Unless you just buy and sell cars all the time - then you can probably enjoy one without too much of a loss. Their depreciation is quite large till they get to about 50% of their value, which happens in about 5 to 7 years!

I sold my 2003 NSX SC for my 2009 997 Turbo Cab. Sorry guys, but I haven't looked back... and yes, golf clubs fit just fine, along with all the other stuff you need for a weekend golf trip.

It's really a different car... you could own both (997 and NSX) and be very happy. I personally have no need for two sports cars, and the 997 is just way easier to live with on a daily basis.

Im a big Porsche fan. Owned one and almost bought a 996TT (Im one of the VERY rare Porsche philes that LOVES the 996 which makes me fortunate since so many despise them... LOL) before I came back to the NSX.

Lots of great comments here (I very much agree with DrVolk in particular) and lots of really exaggerated and silly ones.

I agree with the general sentiment of needing to drive one and see, with the idea that RMS is blown way out of proportion particularly on turbos, with the notion that the 997 and even 996TTs are quicker to 60 than a CTSC NSX (esp the automatic Porsches... ugh), with the idea that 911s are everywhere and all look the same to 99% of the population (not necessarily a bad thing - it is what it is) and with the absolute fact that the Porsche is a more practical (by far and for many reasons) daily driver.

As for the performance issues... If flying from 0-60 in around 4 seconds (CTSC NSX) isnt enough and 3.5 seconds is really mandatory, then dont even think about it and get the 997TT. If 3.5 isnt enough and 2.8s is mandatory, go one step farther and get the automatic. If that still isnt enough and maybe like 1.5s is mandatory, buy a 997TT auto and mod it. Similar for practicality. If you are finding you need to drive the NSX a lot and it is painful for those various reasons, but you still want to use a semi-exotic sports car for these functions, then get the 911. personally, I have 3 vehicles for that specific reason, so thats never a big issue (which is why the 911 went sayonara ;))

Tje key is really to drive the car and see how you like it.

Just a pesonal annecdote for what it's worth... One of the greatest experiences Ive ever had was in a Ferrari 348 with Tubi exhaust which is essentially standing still compared to all of these cars. The sounds, smells, feel... All of it was sublime. Two of the worst I've had were in a GTR with "launch mode" or whatever on and the 997TT automatic with my friend in "impress friends mode". Both feel like bullet trains, but in the worst possible way to me. It felt like "push go pedal, jam back into seat, go post on web forums how uber you are". Very much sanitized and not visceral and really not necessary since you are going far faster than you'd almost ever need to be going far quicker than you'd likely ever be needing to go that fast.

Last edited:

Having owned two NSX's and being one of those people who SWORE he'd never own a Porsche I can only try and explain the attraction to the car...

It's basically everything I wanted the NSX to be and tried to make the NSX become but could never quite attain. Honestly it pisses me off a little because I know that if Honda had continued to improve the NSX, there's a very good chance I'd be driving an HSC right now... but they didn't.

Try a 997... if you're getting old like me (35) and just want a car you can enjoy (just like the NSX) without hassle of worrying where to park it, but is also modern (blue tooth, navi, sport suspension, 500hp/500tq, heated seats, etc etc etc) (unlike the NSX) then you may just find yourself in a Porsche. It's not your fault, it's Honda's. I've accepted that.

Funny thing... I'm getting as many "looks" as I did in my NSX... but it's not just from teenage boys this time. That's kinda nice.

Here's a recent pic...and yes, I've already started modding it, just as I did my two previous NSX's.

P7210005.jpg

BTW- I fully plan to purchase another NSX to go with this car, but the Porsche will always be driven more often. It really is a super car daily driver.

Having owned two NSX's and being one of those people who SWORE he'd never own a Porsche I can only try and explain the attraction to the car...

It's basically everything I wanted the NSX to be and tried to make the NSX become but could never quite attain. Honestly it pisses me off a little because I know that if Honda had continued to improve the NSX, there's a very good chance I'd be driving an HSC right now... but they didn't.

Try a 997... if you're getting old like me (35) and just want a car you can enjoy (just like the NSX) without hassle of worrying where to park it, but is also modern (blue tooth, navi, sport suspension, 500hp/500tq, heated seats, etc etc etc) (unlike the NSX) then you may just find yourself in a Porsche. It's not your fault, it's Honda's. I've accepted that.

Funny thing... I'm getting as many "looks" as I did in my NSX... but it's not just from teenage boys this time. That's kinda nice.

Here's a recent pic...and yes, I've already started modding it, just as I did my two previous NSX's.

BTW- I fully plan to purchase another NSX to go with this car, but the Porsche will always be driven more often. It really is a super car daily driver.

I think you might get more looks than the average 997 because you have a unique color.

I am not quite as old as you (34). Maybe when I am THAT old I can afford a 997 turbo.:biggrin:

I am still not sure where the golf clubs fit in your car.

Last edited:

I think you might get more looks than the average 997 because you have a unique color.

I am not quite as old as you (34). Maybe when I am THAT old I can afford a 997 turbo.:biggrin:

Behind the seats! It works....

I am still happy to be maintaining my Honda instead of a late model 911. I can still get in and out of the NSX but I'm 60 - so getting old at 35 is a huuuuuuuge joke! More power to ya Dr.Volk.

Yeah, the color helps for sure... but this thing in person is pretty damn impressive. A wide body Porsche looks good, I don't care how many you've seen. (Unless you live in Cali I guess... but then F430's probably get old too!).

The rear seats fold flat, you can then lay your clubs across them as long as you take your driver and woods out... those can then go across the back diagonal from the floor to the opposite side. You can get two sets of clubs back there as long as you're not carrying huge bags. The front storage isn't huge, but it's deep...

I'm about to embark on a 1500 mile road trip with a buddy this weekend in the car... we'll have more room than we'll need for sure. The cabin is much larger in general...

The NSX is different enough that I really think you could own both of these cars and not tire of either of them... but if you had to chose just one... well, I made my decision. Another major factor is the back seats and the ability to take my children to car events or just out for a drive. I think that's cool. And yes, the 35 being old thing is a joke, or I'll be driving a Buick at 38.

And yes, the 35 being old thing is a joke, or I'll be driving a Buick at 38.

I'd hold off on that just a few years...lol. You know all those old guys driving Buicks are infuriatingly slow.....you aren't ready for that anytime soon......just a guess.:wink: Keep the turbo spooling...

Anyone have any experience with a 997 Turbo? Any owners in the MD area willing to take me for a test drive?

As much as I love the classic 930/964, a short guy like me doesn't fit well in them with their questionable ergonomics.
When I "needed" a larger car with the birth of my daughter, I didn't think getting rides or taking short test drives were adequate to evaluate a 997. So I took a 1 day high performance school with Skip Barber. They had several cars (ISF, RX8, Boxster, 997) for various exercises, thus I made it clear at the start of the day that I'm only interested in the 997. I did get quite of a bit of seat time in the car, including the final lead-follow exercise on the track (Laguna Seca). At the end of that day, I figured out I can live with a modern 911. I started searching for a 997 C4/C4S and ended up somewhat unexpectedly with a 996TT.
It good to gather opinions on a forum, but nothing beats driving someone else's car near its limits.

I started searching for a 997 C4/C4S and ended up somewhat unexpectedly with a 996TT.

Would you mind elaborating what the rationale was? Thank you.

Doc,

Im loving your new ride, sans the Cab aspect. The Nordic Gold is unreal, and Im LOVING the Sport Classic wheels.:biggrin: Im getting closer and closer to a 911 Turbo but Im so torn. Do you go 90-92 C2/RS replica, 993 Turbo, or maybe just a classic SC:confused:

Doc,

Im loving your new ride, sans the Cab aspect. The Nordic Gold is unreal, and Im LOVING the Sport Classic wheels.:biggrin: Im getting closer and closer to a 911 Turbo but Im so torn. Do you go 90-92 C2/RS replica, 993 Turbo, or maybe just a classic SC:confused:

If you need to shed one out of the garage, I'd be happy to receive a PM on the Zanardi. :wink:

If you need to shed one out of the garage, I'd be happy to receive a PM on the Zanardi. :wink:

In your dreams, Im not selling...just adding to the collection:biggrin:

In your dreams, Im not selling...just adding to the collection:biggrin:

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Give it up, big man! Or just be a true owner and hold it like you're insisting. Just hope I can find one. It's a frustrating journey.

Doc,

Dude, the cab aspect is the best part... imo. :) I just did a 1500 mile road trip in 4 days last week... the car ate up miles like no other and was so damn comfortable. Top down almost the whole way. Damn it's fast... and I averaged about 22mpg.... hit 150+ mph lots of times in 100+ degree heat and it never complained once. I can't wait to get another NSX for my garage, but this car is soooo much more of a daily driver, and this coming from someone who thought the NSX was easy to live with. I think my Nordic gold is probably one of about 3 or 4 Turbo's in that color.. Pretty damn rare.

If you're not going 997, get a 993 Carrera S or Carrera 4S. That's IMO anyhow. 993's are going to hold value like NSX's are... and they're almost as pretty too.

Some of the pics:
P7240079.jpg

P7240128.jpg

P7240171-1.jpg

P7250040.jpg

P7250185-1.jpg

P7270105.jpg

P7270048.jpg

P7270041.jpg

P7270413.jpg

Dude, the cab aspect is the best part... imo. :) I just did a 1500 mile road trip in 4 days last week... the car ate up miles like no other and was so damn comfortable. Top down almost the whole way. Damn it's fast... and I averaged about 22mpg.... hit 150+ mph lots of times in 100+ degree heat and it never complained once.

Sounds like someone drove to Edmondton for the Indycar race?? One of these years I want to do that. There has got to be some curvy roads as well as long open stretches to blow out the carbon.

For those who daily drive a 997.
How many days a week and miles are we talking?
5-7 days a week? 15,000/year?

I've been kicking around the idea of a 997TT in a few more years.
It's the only other car I like right now.

For those who daily drive a 997.
How many days a week and miles are we talking?
5-7 days a week? 15,000/year?

I've been kicking around the idea of a 997TT in a few more years.
It's the only other car I like right now.

I don't daily drive mine, but you could and there are quite a few who do.
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2-58/
They're also easy to get power out of. Well, the turbo models anyhow. :smile:

With Nav, heated seats, blue tooth, sport vs comfort suspension settings, etc etc, it's a very easy car to live with daily. If you get the PDK you could even live with it in a high traffic area. There's a reason you see so many 997's driving around. Even the wife takes mine occasionally (6spd and all), while she never once drove either of my NSX's in the 5 years I had them. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. :wink:

Back