• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Power for clock enough to power external nav-system??

MvM

Legendary Member
I recently (finally) bought a Mio navigation systems. It's one of those simple nav-systems with 4.3" screen that you fasten to you dashboard with a small suction cup for easy removal and which is powered by a small internal battery otherwise through your cigarette lighter.

I am not very good at the electrical car stuff, but I was wondering if I could just add an extra connector to the cable of the NSX dashboard clock and use that to power the nav system through a small cable that I might loop through one of the dash ventilation openings. The external charger for the system says it can deliver 1A at 5V. I would guess I still need a transformator to turn the 12V voltage to 5V.

Has anyone done this or has any tips for me?

The clock circuit is 7.5 amps. You can't step down DC with transformer you need a DC to DC converter. The best place to get power inside the car is the option conectors at the drivers kick panel fuse box.

Last edited:
The clock circuit is 7.5 amps. You can't step down DC with transformer you need a DC to DC converter. The best place to get power inside the car is the option conectors at the drivers kick panel fuse box.

Hi Brian,
Thank you very much for the tip.
So, in fact, I would need to pull a wire all the way from the drivers kick panel.

Since the original hook-up is through the cigarette lighter, could I not tap it from there??
Would be a much shorter route. Would still need the converter of course.

(Wondering what the difference is between a transformer and a converter :rolleyes:)

why do you need a converter if it comes with the cig plug in the kit?

buy a female cig socket with leads and wire it in behind the dash, then plug your nav charger into it.

(Wondering what the difference is between a transformer and a converter :rolleyes:)

Transformers only work with AC current, converter might not be the right term, I think a DC to DC power supply is better desicription.

Yes like 2K said above hide a female ciggarette under the dash and plug in the conector that came with the unit.

Transformers only work with AC current, converter might not be the right term, I think a DC to DC power supply is better desicription.

Yes like 2K said above hide a female ciggarette under the dash and plug in the conector that came with the unit.

Spder2K & Brian,

Thanks for the tip.
Now let's see if I can find a female cigarette connector. So far I see only the male plugs for sale here :mad:

Back