• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

power Friday - two supercharged NSXes

We finished two NSXes today that were brought to us for the new ScienceofSpeed Supercharger System. Our first car was a 2000 NSX. Paul's New Formula Red NSX is a nice example of a low mileage well kept all stock NSX. In addition to the supercharger system, we are also designing a really nice stereo package with navigation using our new stereo components (more to follow on that later).

DSC00947.jpg

We were fortunate to be contacted by a customer from Vancouver who just purchased a 2004 NSX in Texas. On the way home, the car stopped in for a supercharger system, new wheels, and a couple modifications to the body. Charles' NSX is a beautiful Berlina Black low mile 2004.

Lee021309.jpg

Both cars have bone stock engines and produced almost identical results at 386 wheel horsepower, an increase off baseline factory power of 143 horsepower.

2004-SC-8PSI.gif

The customer had a strict schedule dropping the car off on Monday and leaving on Friday to complete his drive home. Thanks to the bolt on nature of the system, we were able to begin work on Monday noon and have the car ready by Thursday afternoon supercharged and tuned along with the other requested work completed by Friday noon. Charles is now on his way back to Canada. Safe driving Charles, and thank you for your business!

Lee3091309.jpg

Lee2021309.jpg

I had the chance to drive both cars, and I'm impressed. 386 wheel horsepower, or approximately 440 crankshaft horsepower is where these cars needed to be from the factory. Power to weight, it puts these cars in line with C5 Z06 Corvettes and there's lots more room to go. With simple bolt on headers, these cars would easily be into the 400 wheel mark on our relatively conservative dyno. The power delivery is smooth and deceptively fast. I hope you get to experience a ride in one some day soon. It has been a thrill to be involved. Thank you to Charles and Paul again for the opportunity.

You can find more information on the supercharger kit and other dyno graphs and photos here:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/supercharger/

Cheers,
-- Chris

Busy week at SOS.:biggrin:

Nice cars, and congrats to the owners and SOS for great hp gains. Good to see all the love being shown for adding hp to the NSX.

What would be the 1/4 time difference between a sc NSX w/ 386hp vs a c5 Z06?

Nice! Did either of these have the aftercooler?

Let me quicly Google Map the distance from San Jose, CA to Tempe, AZ :)

So is it safe to say this kit you are selling is in every way better than the CTSC version? You're tempting me to ship the car to you for the work and driving it home....hehehe

What is the warranty if something goes wrong with this setup?

rk

Hey Chris! Will you and team from SOS be at NSXPO 09? Perhaps you should bring one of these setup's for my Imola! A NSXPO "overhaulin" type install perhaps?!!!

It would definately give NSX owners and idea of the change from Stock to FI...

:wink:

Hey Chris! Will you and team from SOS be at NSXPO 09? Perhaps you should bring one of these setup's for my Imola! A NSXPO "overhaulin" type install perhaps?!!!

It would definately give NSX owners and idea of the change from Stock to FI...

:wink:

hi Cam --

There will be a car at NSXPO with our supercharger system that we are installing now. Installation there could be a possibility. I'll keep that in mind to see if it is possible.

regards,
-- Chris

hi Cam --

There will be a car at NSXPO with our supercharger system that we are installing now. Installation there could be a possibility. I'll keep that in mind to see if it is possible.

regards,
-- Chris

where is NSXPO 2009?

First, I'd like to thank Chris and all the guys at SOS for excellent service. I received regular updates on my car during the week it was there. After putting about 2500 miles driving the car from Dallas to Vancouver, more than half of that with the supercharger, I have to say that it is worth the money. The car feels pretty much like a naturally-aspirated car, just much stronger. Power is very linear. If it weren't for the whine, you would never know it was force-fed.

The whine isn't too bad. At idle, you can just hear it if you don't have the radio on. Note that I don't have the engine cover on, so if the engine cover was present, it may mask all of the whine at idle. When accelerating, you definitely hear the SC whine, but it isn't overpowering.

Day-to-day driveability is pretty good. Initial throttle tip-in is smooth, but sometimes there is a bit of a jerk when easing off the throttle. This is probably the result of the larger injectors. Note that this is most noticeable when you are just using light throttle inputs.

During the drive home, I got a CEL, which was codes due to running rich. Strangely enough, after about a day, the CEL went away and hasn't returned. Car ran fine even with the light on, so I'm not sure what happened.

Without the engine cover on, the belt threw a bit of what appeared to be grease or dirt onto the rear window, but that only occurred at the beginning. After cleaning the window, it hasn't done it since.

Overall, it was definitely worth it. This is the kind of power that the car should have come with. Now, it doesn't give the rush of a turbo system, so if you want that rush, you will probably be a bit disappointed. If you like the linear power delivery of a NA car, then you will be very pleased with this kit.

That dyno graph makes me tingle. I had better start saving my pennies right now for one of these and I'll be ready to pull the trigger when I learn how to handle what my car can already do. :biggrin:

Your kit looks great too, unlike several others that I won't name.

hi Charles --

Thank you for your feedback. It was a pleasure working with you. There should be another ScienceofSpeed supercharged NSX joining you in Vancouver shortly. We shipped Kevin's kit yesterday.

As we discussed, the CEL is likely the computer adjusting for the larger injectors and the different fuel curves leading into positive pressure at light loads. The 2000+ ECUs are hyper sensitive to fuel changes. This should be a one time occurrence.

The residue on the glass hatch is likely from the tiny amount of assembly lubrication we use to install the pulley adaptor into the drive unit dissipating from the centrifugal force. This should only happen once during initial "break in" as you noted. These compressors have a great ventilation system.

Thanks again, we appreciate it. Have fun with you new NSX!

Cheers,
-- Chris

Back