• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Power loss and noises on hard acceleration

Hey guys,

I was getting on a freeway on-ramp this past Sunday, which is inclined upwards, and was in 2nd gear. I decided to get on the throttle and noticed a high pitched, intermittent, whining/screeching noise followed by a little power loss towards the higher rpms (around 6500 - 7500rpm). I shifted to 3rd gear and let off the throttle to listen for any noticeable sounds. The sounds didn't re-appear, but this has me worried. I managed to make it home (20 mile drive) without issues, but notice a slight lag in power when in 2nd gear, around 3-4000rpm.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? I've been reading a few threads of motors going out and its starting to scare me. I checked the oil level when I got home and it was fine. The oil was also changed 2 weeks prior (Mobil 1 10/30 with Denso tall filter) and fuel injector cleaner (Chevron) was added the day before.

I've also been noticing a slight burning clutch smell, but have not noticed any slipping yet.

Please chime in and give me your thoughts. I'm wondering if this is the result of my clutch giving or a more serious problem. :frown:

Regards,
Dan

It almost sounds like the clutch was slipping (feeling lose in power) as you were in second before switching to third. Is the clutch oem? How many mile are on the it? I had an exedy clutch on my old intergra that started to squeak.

An easy way to test for a worn clutch is to hit the gas fully when in fourth or fifth gear at normal cruise speed. If there is slip, there will be a short moment of lag from the time you hit the throttle and when the car starts accelerating.

Another way is to start in a steep slope. Test the gripping of the clutch by driving uphill from standing still. Check for similar lag issues.

Due to the sound it made when you accelerated, it sounds like a mechanical issue. Fuel and ignition related issues resulting in hesitation and misfires are often due to corrosion in the coils and/or spark plugs, bad 02 sensors, bad fuel pump/fuel resistor or clogged injectors. These problems should however not give rise to any sqeeks or other strange sounds (besides from some misfiring).

Good luck and don't be to nervous, clutch/other issues are simple and much more probable than the motor blowing on you, which is rare.

Thanks for the insight guys. According to the previous owner, my clutch is a clutchmasters unit. Not sure if its a single or twin disc, but according to the mechanic (Don at Hilltop), it was installed around 25k miles ago.

I will try to test it more this weekend and see if I can determine if it is slipping or not.

Back