• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Power Steering problem

There is a recall notice on the electric steering electronics box. This box failed on my 1996 NSX in 2004. I was outside the recall time frame, but called the Acura region office. I offered to pay for the labor if they supplied the box at their cost. Acura agreed to my offer.

The original owner had the box replaced on my '96 under warranty in 1998 or '99 and I've owned it since 2000. A few years ago a couple times it felt like I would lose power steering for a few seconds at moderate speed. Before I had a chance to investigate, the problem went away. Car has 50k mi, not tracked, is garaged, all original, no corrosion anywhere, etc.

Anyone have a WAG as to what might have happened?

Frank
'96 NSX_T, red/tan

The original owner had the box replaced on my '96 under warranty in 1998 or '99 and I've owned it since 2000. A few years ago a couple times it felt like I would lose power steering for a few seconds at moderate speed. Before I had a chance to investigate, the problem went away. Car has 50k mi, not tracked, is garaged, all original, no corrosion anywhere, etc.

Anyone have a WAG as to what might have happened?

Frank
'96 NSX_T, red/tan

Sounds like the EPS power unit issue several people have reported on the forums. There is a relay on the circuit board that I think is undersized, so it apparently has a proclivity to fail over time. A replacement board would likely have the same problem over time as well since it has the exact same relay in it. I sent mine to BrianK to repair when I had the same problem. I noticed when I got it back that he put in a 70A relay, replacing a 40A piece. With some soldering skills, it is a $5 part. Or - just send it to BrianK to repair. I understand he has the bench setup to test the things to make sure the repair is working.

-Kevin T.

My steering isnt consistent at all.

My issue on my 94 is that at low speeds/idle the steering is VERY heavy but once i start moving its fine. Even if i take a turn at slow speeds the steering is very heavy where you NEED two hands to make it turn.

Could this be related to the recall mentioned here?

Last edited:
My steering isnt consistent at all.

My issue on my 94 is that at low speeds/idle the steering is VERY heavy but once i start moving its fine. Even if i take a turn at slow speeds the steering is very heavy where you NEED two hands to make it turn.

Could this be related to the recall mentioned here?

Unless you have automatic 1994 NSX, you don't have power steering. If you haven't done so yet, I suggest you read up in the Faq section here, you can also read the owners manual.

Back