• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

PPF and ceramic coating

The first time I paid for PPF and ceramic was for my 2018 NSX. Psychologically, I felt better though I don't know if I felt $2000 better.

When I traded in the 2018 for a 2020, I had the PPF applied but skipped the ceramic. The PPF installer sold ceramic coating but he suggested just using the newer spray on protectants when I wash the car. So I'm going to give that a try.

The first time I paid for PPF and ceramic was for my 2018 NSX. Psychologically, I felt better though I don't know if I felt $2000 better.

When I traded in the 2018 for a 2020, I had the PPF applied but skipped the ceramic. The PPF installer sold ceramic coating but he suggested just using the newer spray on protectants when I wash the car. So I'm going to give that a try.
Good advice. All I use on my PPF is Meguire's Ultimate Quick Detailer and their Ultimate Quik Wax. Works great for a quick cleaning.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RXNLK6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O7PNS2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you track your car or drive in area's where there is a lot of sand and rocks like AZ where I live the PPF is a must. I was skeptical about the Ceramic Coating so I tried it on my wife's SUV (GLC63) and the paint had a deeper gloss and easy to apply. I Used Avalon Shield IX. Also did wheels using Adam's wheel ceramic. Wheels are a PIA and the claims are BS as brake dust sticks to them.
I was board with the Covid shut down and did my NSX and it came out pretty good but the claims are over hyped on how nothing sticks to the paint which isn't much better than a great wax job. Overall it gives a deeper glossier shine. I'm concerned on what it looks like when it starts to wear off.
Jimmy aka sled driver.

If you track your car or drive in area's where there is a lot of sand and rocks like AZ where I live the PPF is a must. I was skeptical about the Ceramic Coating so I tried it on my wife's SUV (GLC63) and the paint had a deeper gloss and easy to apply. I Used Avalon Shield IX. Also did wheels using Adam's wheel ceramic. Wheels are a PIA and the claims are BS as brake dust sticks to them.
I was board with the Covid shut down and did my NSX and it came out pretty good but the claims are over hyped on how nothing sticks to the paint which isn't much better than a great wax job. Overall it gives a deeper glossier shine. I'm concerned on what it looks like when it starts to wear off.
Jimmy aka sled driver.

Jimmy - thanks for the info on Avalon. Some reviews looked too goo to be true. I guess for around $45 (after $25 off) isn't that bad to try out but I was skeptical that it would turn out much better than say high quality ceramic spray.

If you track your car or drive in area's where there is a lot of sand and rocks like AZ where I live the PPF is a must. I was skeptical about the Ceramic Coating so I tried it on my wife's SUV (GLC63) and the paint had a deeper gloss and easy to apply. I Used Avalon Shield IX. Also did wheels using Adam's wheel ceramic. Wheels are a PIA and the claims are BS as brake dust sticks to them.I was board with the Covid shut down and did my NSX and it came out pretty good but the claims are over hyped on how nothing sticks to the paint which isn't much better than a great wax job. Overall it gives a deeper glossier shine. I'm concerned on what it looks like when it starts to wear off. Jimmy aka sled driver.
I also have been skeptical concerning Ceramic Coatings. There is a lot of hype associated with them. I believe that much of the beauty is the result of all the cleaning, claying, polishing, etcetera that goes into the paint prep prior to the ceramic coating. I was reading that while the ceramic coatings provide a gloss/wet look, waxes like carnauba provide a warmer deeper shine. They tend to highlight the color rather than just add a clear gloss. I also tried the spray ceramic coating on the wheels of our Volvo. The brake dust still adheres. It may wash off a bit easier but not what I expected.

Last edited:
I also have been skeptical concerning Ceramic Coatings. There is a lot of hype associated with them. I believe that much of the beauty is the result of all the cleaning, claying, polishing, etcetera that goes into the paint prep prior to the ceramic coating. I was reading that while the ceramic coatings provide a gloss/wet look, waxes like carnauba provide a warmer deeper shine. They tend to highlight the color rather than just add a clear gloss. I also tried the spray ceramic coating on the wheels of our Volvo. The brake dust still adheres. It may wash off a bit easier but not what I expected.

I have had all of the best premium waxes and sealants on previous cars. None of them come close to the optical purity of a good, professionally applied, ceramic coating. My M3 has GTecniq on it and I get so many compliments. The Yas Marina Blue really pops in direct sunlight.

^+1 have the NSX, X5M, GTR and Hellcat all covered in Gtechniq Ceramic. My buddy owns a shop so he gives it to me at pretty much cost.

I waited for years to do the GTR and only did it after we did the impact parts on the NSX with Xpel and ceramic’d the rest. Makes a huge difference. With the CCB on NSX I haven’t cleaned the rims since I got it. Just chemical guys spray and spray off.

Now if the paint just wasn’t so soft on the wheels :(

I have all my cars wrapped with Xpell, and ceramic coated. They did paint correction first. It's costly, but well worth it. I've seen some really sloppy work, by places that really shouldn't be installing on cars. When done correctly, you don't even know it's there, except the car looks great. As others have said, it's much easier to clean too!!

I had a quote of 6K to do my entire 2020 NSX w/ceramic.

That's crazy to me. Who did you use Roger?

Based on what I paid for the complete front end, hood, fenders, carbon roof, carbon side side skirts and Gtech everything else I’d say that’s not that bad of a price.

I’m in a smaller city so less O/H costs and figure a decent profit margin.

Due to covid in the northeast road repair this year was dumping asphalt into 1-2’ deep potholes on most of the roads, multiple times I found asphalt chips deep into the PPF and wiped it off. A week later no mark at all.

Would have needed a repaint on the front end otherwise.

With a relatively new car there should not be a lot of paint correction. Unless you are color sanding your car, at most you will need to clean, clay possibly, and remove any swirl marks. For the most part you do not need a shop to do this unless you lack the time and/or patience. As for applying the PPF, I ended up doing my hood (1/2) plus the fenders. I did the fenders first for practice. The hood was a bit more time consuming. I watched a lot YouTube Videos. If I were doing the whole hood then I would have someone do it as it takes some practice. I ended up doing the hood twice as I was not happy the first time. What is nice is that you can purchase precut material at a reasonable price. I do understand that some would prefer paying a qualified shop. I personally enjoy DIY projects. Given I am retired I need projects to keep my sanity.

I had a quote of 6K to do my entire 2020 NSX w/ceramic.

That's crazy to me. Who did you use Roger?
Fation, at Enthusiast Autoworks, in New Rochelle. Does great work, and while not cheap, you know the old saying..............you get what you pay for.

Due to covid in the northeast road repair this year was dumping asphalt into 1-2’ deep potholes on most of the roads, multiple times I found asphalt chips deep into the PPF and wiped it off. A week later no mark at all.

Would have needed a repaint on the front end otherwise.

I have a question for you about this, because it is one of my fears about PPF. Does it self-heal? Because I would think a chip deep into the PPF would leave a visible gouge--sounds like it doesn't.

I have a question for you about this, because it is one of my fears about PPF. Does it self-heal? Because I would think a chip deep into the PPF would leave a visible gouge--sounds like it doesn't.

If it isn't a direct hit and slides on the PPF and tears it, it will not self heal. I had to replace the PPF on my hood due to a perforation that did damage the paint a little bit. But a little Sharpie marker to color the exposed primer, and new sheet of PPF, you couldn't tell there was damage.

Yes the Xpel and other top tier films self heal. It worth the price and will not yellow like some of the cheaper films.

Here’s an example - imagine a wide brush on the clear.

https://youtu.be/T6oEgfdwUU0

The asphalt chips and other smaller rocks will actually embed into the film. Wipe it off snd it’s a small dimple. Some hot/warm water when you wash it and it’s like nothing happened.

Wish I could put it on the rims. They have pin marks all over them.

PPF is an absolute must for any car that isn't a beater. If you own a NC1 without it, I hope it's a lease...
Ceramic coating is great but a waste of money in my opinion. But then again, I don't drive a 150k dollar car.
I use CarPro Reload about once a month and the results are incredible. Deep shiny gloss, water and dirt fly right off of it. Wash/dry time reduced by 60%.

Had mine ceramic coated and PPF on most of the car. Chose to PPF some parts as oppose to all. Here’s a vid of the job.

Last edited:
A local client of mine had the Ceramic Pro Kavaca film applied to his entire car. Film is great and Ceramic Pro also has some coatings the formulated to work best with that specific film as well. I've handwashed the car for him a few times when it has been in for service and it's super easy to clean and keeps the car looking amazing especially knowing how hard it gets driven.

https://ceramicpro.com/kavaca/paint-protection-film/

Back