• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Prospective Owner: Any Recommendations on These 3 NSX on AutoTrader?

1991 Black NSX with 26k miles for $29990.
VIN: JH4NA1150MT000442

1998 Silver NSX with 38k miles for $43985
VIN: JH4NA2162WT000069

1998 Red NSX with 37k miles for $39990
VIN: JH4NA2163WT000114

First one is sold by nissan dealer and the last two are sold by Acura dealers.
Which one is a better buy?

Thanks in advance.
<table width="100%" border="0"><tbody><tr><td class="car-attribute-label">
</td><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

It obviously depends from your preference, the first car i a coupe and the remaining 2 are targas. If this is not something that metters to you then the tird one sounds like the best bang for the buck. Do not buy any of these without an independent PPI ( pre purchase inspection).

This is like a game show..... The best buy is based on your spec/color preference as stated above,and as always is predicated by your budget.Whichever you choose you have 5-10% wiggle room on each.

This is like a game show..... The best buy is based on your spec/color preference as stated above,and as always is predicated by your budget.Whichever you choose you have 5-10% wiggle room on each.

Curtain 1, 2 or 3??? Man what kind of question is that? I'm going to take a guess on just the age and mileage - the red one for 40k.

Geez, I mean I've seen it all now - so to answer your question you do realize your asking folks to do all your work for ya>>> right? I mean give us a break dude - give us all the info on the cars - then we'll help - but if you expect all of us guys to look em up, plow thru the info on each one and call the dealers to ask questions ......I mean dude - we're not buying the car - YOU are. How long have you been watching this site? MMMMmmm - my guess is not long or you wouldn't ask a totally open ended question like that expecting everyone to do your work for you....sorry but I'm not that easy at any rate and I doubt if any of the rest of the guys are either - what do you say DocJ......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Craziest email I believe I've seen in a looonnnnngg while.

It obviously depends from your preference, the first car i a coupe and the remaining 2 are targas. If this is not something that metters to you then the tird one sounds like the best bang for the buck. Do not buy any of these without an independent PPI ( pre purchase inspection).

Hey KChoi, Brylek is bang on. This is what it really comes down too if you're looking to spend this kind of money. I had the same questions too and this site really helped me isolate what kind of NSX i wanted, what color, what price, and what to expect to spend. Once i had this figured out, then it's a matter of being patient and finding the one you want.
Go through alot of the forums here and read them. It's great info for your search for the right NSX.

Without digging further and doing more research... I would say the Red 98 for for the asking price of $39,990 would be the best buy.

But as mentioned do a PPI on any or all of them. It would pay off.

There is so much to consider... maintenance... has the TB, WP etc. been replaced recently...

Tim kind of went off on you here, but he can definitely chime in and give you a list of preventative maintenance type issues you may want to check.

I'm kind of thinking you were asking if anybody on the site had any information, or may know about these cars as opposed to having people on prime do the research for you...

Anyway, the 91 with that low miles may be a good deal... especially if the preventive maintenance has been done recently and if you can get them to lower the price another $2k to $3k or so. Tell them it is at the end of it's designed 20 year life span.... BUT if you aren't aware of the snap ring issue, then the 91 could be one of those within the snap ring range. (That doesn't mean it is a deal breaker, but it is worth either having the dealer fix if it is in the range, or having them knock off another $3k or so, so you can fix it if it breaks.)

Color and such is a personal preference... I have a Red 91 (which is in snap ring range... so far so good, no probs... but it also only has 43K not tracked type miles on it.). I like Red, some here on prime say it is the fastest color... at least for getting tickets..

Tim and others like silver... and black sure looks nice all polished up and clean. There are many other awesome color selections to choose from too. You can search Production Numbers on prime and get the break down.

Speaking of that, the newer 98 NSX-T (Targa's) would be much lower production numbers than the 91.

You can also run the VIN's past CarFax and do a basic check there to see if any accidents or strange title moves appear with any of the cars. I ran mine through CarFax before I became more serious in it.

It also depends on your budget... the 91 is a good $10k less, but would have the 5 spd and 3.0, where the other two have the 6 spd and 3.2.

The 91 NSX coupe would be serial number 442 which would be fairly low for the 2,886 91 NA1's with the MT. Of which 704 were Berlina Black/Black, and 474 were Berlina Black/Ivory. (USA anyway)

The 98 NSX-T Kaiser Silver serial number 69. There were 48 Kaiser Silver/Onyx MT NSX-T's imported to the USA. There were a total of 245 NSX's for 98, 225 NSX-T with the MT, 15 with the AT, and 5 coupes with the MT.

The 98 NSX-T, Red serial number 114. There were 29 Formula Red/Black MT NSX-T's Imported to the USA. Ben also shows 24 Formula Red/Tan MT NSX-T's imported to the USA.

Stats from Wiki Prodcution Numbers. http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Production_Numbers

There is also the Decoding NSX VIN site that may help you break down the VIN information if interested http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Decoding_an_NSX_VIN

There is lots to consider, from personal preferences, to price (unless you have deep pockets and don't care about price), to condition, maintained maintenance, etc.

Enjoy the hunt... it is almost as fun as driving... okay, I lie... driving an NSX is much funner than the hunt :smile:

Good luck and keep us posted.

sorry guys...i understand it is not enough information that i have provided...my problem is that i am located in Canada but these cars are in the states...it is not easy at least for me to do a PPI on each of them...

but i can definitely provide their respective websites.

1991 Black NSX

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ssion=&max_price=&cardist=2151&standard=false

1998 Red NSX

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...doors=&max_price=&cardist=2336&standard=false

1998 Silver NSX

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ission=&max_price=&cardist=719&standard=false

They all have free carfaxes attached to them.

thanks rbilder for correcting me. I realize what i asked is a very open-ended question...and i don't mean it like that...rbilder is right, i am not trying to just post to get you guys to do my research..as i said, i am located in Canada and i have no idea how the usual conditions of the nsxs in the states are...I was just hoping if anyone have seen these vehicles or have more information that they can provide me with these vehicles...that would be awesome! thanks again and sorry again for the misunderstanding!

I would do a PPI on the 98 red and go from there. Silver has the lowest resale value and a 91 is still nearly 20 years old.

I can do a PPI on the car in Chantilly for you. Just send a me a PM.

Brandon

If you want to save more time - I can do it too. I literally live 5 minutes from Pohanka. Also, that red one has been for sale for (I think) a couple months now. If you want me to drive up and take a closer look and report back my findings, I can gladly do so. :)

I would do a PPI on the 98 red and go from there. Silver has the lowest resale value and a 91 is still nearly 20 years old.

I'm writting a long one on this thread as I felt like maybe I was a little harsh with my first post - sorry for that.

I like the red one too. It sounds like it could be the best deal. If you have the bucks I believe you'll be happy with an NA2 - unless you need the coupe for tracking or some other reason you want a stiffer chasis.

The gearing in the 6 speed and bigger displacement add up to more fun and you get the targa - I think most like the targa effect. I think I might have too - but I was a victim of budget. I didn't want anymore than I have in a toy - but that's my own reason. You seem comfortable with the pricing of the NA2 - I say stick with that.

Steve mentions that silver has the lowest resale - that has not been my experience. I believe that red would be because it seems there are more of them. If I didn't feel like red was a cop magnet I'd get red but with a tan interior. I just saw a nice tan interior in a Brooklands green car with 18k miles on it - it looked great. IT was a 95- very nice.

I think white is the highest resale value cause of it's rarity. Main thing to make sure of when buying is finding good maintenance history and that is usually found from an individual owner. It's harder to find that from a dealer - at least that's my experience. Dealers are also more difficult to talk with about maintenance issues and don't want to budge on price. Those are the big issues.

Personally, I still say buying the newest and best maintained car with the lowest miles is the best advice for getting a great car. Less wear and tear inside and out - plain and simple. If price is not an object - my advice really is correct I believe. Others have issues with this but all things being equal - the newer the car the better all the systems are generally. But then a low mile 95 is nice too - but still things like the AC are older. Anyway I think you are on to some nice ones - just ask the right questions - TB/WP and hoses - that's the big deal.

Good luck!

TIM, I started to read your other post and was like man did he wake up on the worng side of the bed this morning. LOL, but then read on and you had got your coffee in ya.

but in Tims defence: yea help us Help you, get more info and then post it. we all will help you cuz all we do is read prime post. cuz our jobs well frankly ( we got it like that ) LOL

But read up on the coupes VS the T-tops, some like the rigid Coupe's frame,and less weight and other like the open air/Dripping when it rains, less rigid, more HP, heavier t-top

Im gonna get killed for that last staement but what the heck its monday.

Whichever car you can find any maintenance records on is the one I would buy. Otherwise you have to assume the TB/WP service is due. Low miles is nice but if it comes with deferred maintenance it is going to cost you.

Whichever car you can find any maintenance records on is the one I would buy. Otherwise you have to assume the TB/WP service is due. Low miles is nice but if it comes with deferred maintenance it is going to cost you.

Almost had to laugh here - let me say this - and Big D knows this too as many do - ALL NSXs are GONNA COST YOU! Records or not - they all have something they need - every dang one of em - that's why they are for sale - I bet even D's car that he fixed up before he sold it had something for the new owner to do - am I right D.

Maybe little bit maybe a big bit but the older the bigger the bit - ok. None of these cars is perfect - well except mine :biggrin: but I ain't sellin....lol! So there you have it dudes.

Just hitch up yer britches cause when you buy an NSX you are going to slap leather - you know what I mean? As in whip out the wallet - that's slappin leather. :eek::wink: It may be to customize, personalize, set it up for SC or TC, short gears, suspension - improvements or just to make it perfect - just to maintain it to perfection - that is gonna cost you! The better you do you homework the less it'll hurt - course you may miss out - pay after you buy or pay up front the only 2 ways I know of. Course you can pay up front and still end up doing something extra.

Don't go in on no budget or you'll be selling in a year! Words to the wise.

Almost had to laugh here - let me say this - and Big D knows this too as many do - ALL NSXs are GONNA COST YOU! Records or not - they all have something they need - every dang one of em - that's why they are for sale - I bet even D's car that he fixed up before he sold it had something for the new owner to do - am I right D.

Actually the car had ZERO deferred maintenance. I was very very meticulous on the maintenance on my car. Plus I gave the new owner 6 OEM Tall oil filters, 2 OEM air filters, a couple of O2 sensors and the 5 OEM parts that were upgraded.

I did hear that after the new owner went on a spirited drive in the local mountains the car leaked some brand new brake fluid on his garage floor. That had never happened during my ownership... so Yes Tim, the NSX can still get you even when 100% maintained. I am guessing the ABS overflowing resevoir is due to the solenoids not getting cycled often enough.

pohanka car is missing the front spoiler when i passed by it a couple weeks ago.

Correct, it is missing that piece. Per my promise and a PM to the OP, I committed some time to go take a close inspection and photos of the red one at Pohanka. The interior is in great shape, several things on the exterior concern me. Of course, the salesman was quick to say the car has a clean carfax - where I reminded him that a carfax report means absolutely nothing and continued inspecting the vehicle.

Either way, here are images:
http://www.scc-photography.com/Other/98-NSX-Pohanka-Acura/12314049_8SNyd#879062483_tXbXr

PS - To the original poster (OP), I really appreciate the fact you've never even acknowledged or even said thanks for this. I know you read the PM with the link the same day I sent it, the fact you never bothered to even reply with some gratitude that I did you a favor is pretty pathetic.

Best of luck - if you need any more photos, you can ask someone else or take them yourself.

when you see the pics of the exterior that HIJACKER has taken, the 4K difference for the 98 Silver may not be such a big difference if its in better shape. Now we're starting to see the differences between the 3 choices and let's face it, every car is second-hand and will have blemishes, repairs, replacements, damage, etc. When would you ever find a flawless used car anyway?

when you see the pics of the exterior that HIJACKER has taken, the 4K difference for the 98 Silver may not be such a big difference if its in better shape. Now we're starting to see the differences between the 3 choices and let's face it, every car is second-hand and will have blemishes, repairs, replacements, damage, etc. When would you ever find a flawless used car anyway?

Agreed. The blemishes in the paint could be corrected with a very high-end detail with a pro buffer. My bigger concerns on the car is the rear end (from what appears to be a minor unreported fender bender) and the seal on the driver's side door. Also, under the front bumper is missing the OEM spoiler.

But, it might be great negotiating points to bring the price down too if its mostly cosmetic damage. HIJACKER you mentioned the interior was pretty good and if the services have been up to date it might be worth haggling the price down...maybe $35K or so would you say?
Can't believe the salesman said the CARFAX was fine even though you have such an obvious nonalignment in the rear bumper there. I know another guy here in Canada who had this one checked and he passed on it.
Check out the Autotrader, this week i saw no less than 3 95T's with low miles posted for sale. Not bad price for such low mileage cars!

I can't believe there was no gratitude from him about the time and effort put into looking at that car for him. Some people just don't get what these forums are all about.

PS - To the original poster (OP), I really appreciate the fact you've never even acknowledged or even said thanks for this. I know you read the PM with the link the same day I sent it, the fact you never bothered to even reply with some gratitude that I did you a favor is pretty pathetic.

Best of luck - if you need any more photos, you can ask someone else or take them yourself.

HUJACKER, I appreciate your effort. Nice pics! :wink:

As for the OP, maybe he's been out of town, or busy, or he didn't pay his internet bill, or he just doesn't care.

Way to go OP.

Back