• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Prospeed Tuning in Denver!

I've been talking to Brian at Prospeed and he is willing to travel to Denver to custom tune our NSX's at altitude, which should yield the maximum power gains possible on the stock ECU. Brian can tune the stock and RDX kits. Mark, Gabe and I are all interested and I am posting this here to see who else is interested. Depending on the number of cars, we will check with Brian and figure out scheduling, dyno, pricing, etc. Let's leave this open until Oct 31 and see who we get.

1. Honcho - Stage 3 Custom
2. MileHighNSX - RDX
3. mskrotzki - RDX

Last edited:
Cost dependent, I would be in.

there are a few dynos around town, I have been on them once each. depending on the number of cars and the time each one takes, i am sure there are discounts to be had.

does he need "load bearing" capability? some have that feature functional and some don't.

I use MAC Autosport in Parker- very happy with them.

Brian would have to chime in with pricing, but we would also have to pay for dyno time. His current price for the Stage 3 kit is $275 (this is what I am getting). RDX kit is $749. Each car is going to need a couple of hours on the rollers to get dialed in, I imagine. Ideally, I'd like to have this done on a Dynapak style system like Bisimoto uses, but not sure if there is one in Denver. MAC uses a Dynojet. Even if not, this will be vastly better than tune-by-mail, as he will be able to set up your car exactly true to its mods, engine, etc.

Count me in. I'll make the run up from ABQ.

Looks like TC's Performance in Arvada has a Dynapack 3000. I'll check with Brian on what he prefers.

TC's Performance, Inc.
5415 W. 59th Ave. Unit G
Arvada, CO 80003
(720) 974-0888

DynaPack 3000 2-wheel Chassis Dyno

Add me in.. I just got my CTSC installed and would love a tune!!! ----
1991 NSX with CTSC - CT Headers and Exhaust.
Thanks Honcho.. I just hope I'm in town.. Since I travel for work.
Thanks again.

So Brian needs a load-bearing dyno for best results, ideally a Dynapack like at Bisimoto. Unfortunately, it seems the only Dynapack in Denver (TC's, mentioned above) closed up shop in 2008. lol. So, we have these possible solutions:

Tobz Performance (North Denver)
Mustang MD-AWD-500

Autosport Werks (Broomfield)
Dynapack

Revolutions Tuning (Colorado Springs)
Dyno Dynamics

Racing Trenz (Denver)
Dynomite AWD

Revolutions is probably the most well-known Honda tuner in Colorado and is therefore likely to be the most friendly to the NSX crowd, but Autosport (a BMW shop) has the dyno Brian prefers. Let me know what you think.

Is there a big difference in price for either the Revo or Autosport, I am up for either one. Do we have dates yet?

Add me in.. I just got my CTSC installed and would love a tune!!! ----
1991 NSX with CTSC - CT Headers and Exhaust.
Thanks Honcho.. I just hope I'm in town.. Since I travel for work.
Thanks again.

Not sure Prospeed can tune the CTSC. IIRC, the CT kit uses a "black box" to intercept the stock ECU like a piggyback and the fuel/timing is set there. I'm pretty sure the only way you can tune the CTSC is with a FIC or standalone like AEM Infinity, ProEFI, etc. I would contact Brian and ask.

Is there a big difference in price for either the Revo or Autosport, I am up for either one. Do we have dates yet?

It's looking more and more like Revolutions is the place. Pricing is about the same, but Autosport is more expensive. We're looking at early December for dates.

Sounds good to me. It will cut about 1hr off the drive! LOL Weather could be a bit iffy in December, might have to pick up some AS tires.

Is November a no-go?

Last edited:
Not sure Prospeed can tune the CTSC. IIRC, the CT kit uses a "black box" to intercept the stock ECU like a piggyback and the fuel/timing is set there. I'm pretty sure the only way you can tune the CTSC is with a FIC or standalone like AEM Infinity, ProEFI, etc. I would contact Brian and ask.

I think you are right.. Paul at Pikes Peak said the same thing.. The black box handles the tuning--etc.
Better leave it be.

Tuning

I would be interested too. Thanks

I've been talking to Brian at Prospeed and he is willing to travel to Denver to custom tune our NSX's at altitude, which should yield the maximum power gains possible on the stock ECU. Brian can tune the stock and RDX kits. Mark, Gabe and I are all interested and I am posting this here to see who else is interested. Depending on the number of cars, we will check with Brian and figure out scheduling, dyno, pricing, etc. Let's leave this open until Oct 31 and see who we get.

1. Honcho - Stage 3 Custom
2. MileHighNSX - RDX
3. mskrotzki - RDX

Depends on the day

I didn't see a final date or time yet, but in case it's on the weekend, I'd like to check out the festivities. My car is a plain jane IHE with no FI, so I don't think a tune would really make that big of a diff. Plus my ride is an AT. But I will ask questions.

Cheers,
Ed

Check with Dave @ Colorado Speed and Chassis. He has a dynojet. He tuned my FIC and knows what he is doing. Not sure if he rents out his dyno.
https://www.facebook.com/CO.SPEED

Thanks Aaron, but Brian needs a load bearing dyno, so Dynojet won't work. Without load control, he cannot tune each load cell in the fuel map.

- - - Updated - - -

I would be interested too. Thanks

Do you have a RDX kit or do you want the Stage 3 custom tune on the stock injectors (like me)?

Paul,

Have you talked to Brian about the cost for existing RDX owners? I'm pleased to see more people chime in and want to get this done because it will lower the cost for everybody, but I'm still contemplating this cost dependent? I can do it this way or wait for Brians next updated RDX (mail tune as others put it) tune that I he'll send out for free? I'm just trying to decide which way to lean on the matter.

Thx

Paul,

Have you talked to Brian about the cost for existing RDX owners? I'm pleased to see more people chime in and want to get this done because it will lower the cost for everybody, but I'm still contemplating this cost dependent? I can do it this way or wait for Brians next updated RDX (mail tune as others put it) tune that I he'll send out for free? I'm just trying to decide which way to lean on the matter.

Thx

No cost if you are already a Prospeed customer- just pay for dyno time and we split the cost of Brian's plane ticket among everyone. Right now, we are looking at $1,000 for a full 8 hours on the dyno, which works out to $125/hr. We can also get a further discount for two days- $1,800 for 16 hours, or 112.50/hr. That is one of the lowest prices I've seen anywhere. Autosport was $200/hr. :eek: It really depends on the final number of cars and how much time Brian needs on each car. Waiting to hear back on that. If it's 2 hours per car, then we can do up to 4 cars each day and the cost to you would be between $225 and $250. I think the gains you will see on your NSX are worth this cost.

Is he only tuning those with EMS or FIC? Would not make sense for those with a chip. Confused?

Brian only tunes the stock ECU and it must already be modified with a EPROM ZIF socket. Not sure if he can tune the full standalone or FIC. Basically, the benefit of a custom tune is that it maximizes the performance of your specific engine. The problem with tune-by-mail is that the chip you get was tuned on someone else's car in conditions different than yours. All cars vary- whether it's compression across cylinders, injector performance, cam timing, etc. these small differences can eat up lots of hp. We've all seen it on the dyno. A bone stock NSX will dyno 235 whp and then you put another bone stock car on right after it and get 245 whp. By custom tuning your own engine, you are adjusting for all of these differences and are making sure you get the maximum out of the chip/tune. For us here at altitude, this is especially important because the chips we get in the mail were tuned on cars at sea level in California. Brian is convinced there is a ton of power to be tapped- especially in the RDX kits. The only way to do that is to bring him out here and get our cars on the rollers.

With a load-based dyno, Brian can apply a static load to a set rpm and tune each load cell in the fuel/timing maps. Basically, he tunes each cell to a certain ideal AFR (usually somewhere between 13.5 and 14, but that is his secret sauce) and works his way through the entire map so that the entire power curve of the engine is re-calibrated. This is how the OEM's do it, except they tune to a very specific set of emissions and fuel compatibility margins. What Prospeed and other good tuners do instead is tune to max VE at each load state of the engine. This can yield 20 whp or more on the stock injectors and potentially even more on the RDX kit. For a couple hundred bucks, I think it's a heck of a deal. And even if there wasn't a group deal, I would have Brian out here tuning just my NSX.

I talked to Bobby , he is the one that brought Brian out to Albuquerque. His said it took Brian roughly 4hrs on his car alone, hopefully his has streamlined the process because we would be looking a 2 days for sure. Cost looks about right so no problem there. Thanks for putting this together Paul.

Last edited:
I agree if he's streamlined the process at least with a base on the RDX tunes then maybe it won't take as long?? If it takes 4 hours per car to tune then yikes it will take 2 days and more $$ depending on how many guys go in on this altogether?

Is Bobby still happy with his custom tune on the RDX injectors??

Yeah, he seems to have nothing but good things to say about his tune!

I believe Brian is at SEMA, so we'll probably have to wait until next week to hear back. However, the dyno is available on the following Saturdays: 12/4, 12/20, 1/3. Depending on number of cars, we can probably add a Friday to any of those. 12/4 is bad for me as I'm out of town, but the other dates work.

4 hours probably isn't far off. The NSX has four 10x10 fuel maps (low, low-egr, vtec, limp) and three 10x10 ignition maps (low, low-egr, vtec). That's a LOT of cells to tune. Of course, that assumes he is starting from scratch and I imagine he'll be working off a previous tune to some extent.

Anyword from Brian on dates yet?

Back