• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Protecting coils from water.

So I finally got sick of the water on the coils problem and decided to resolve it yesterday. I took out the old plugs and replaced them with NGK BKR 6E11; only two were rusted. I cleaned up the coil contacts and used dielectric grease inside/outside the rubber sleeve. I used weather strip to keep water from getting down into the spark plugs/coils. I then used the weather strip to create a better seal on coil cover. Hope this helps others with the same problems. Today I drove to work in pouring down rain with no issues. I don't think any water will be getting down there anymore.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• P9100080.jpg
    P9100080.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 497
  • P9100075.jpg
    P9100075.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 496
  • P9100077.jpg
    P9100077.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 623
  • P9100078.jpg
    P9100078.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 501
  • P9100079.jpg
    P9100079.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 498
Still have to do the dielectric grease on mine soon. Winter is coming.

Great post, thanks man! In Seattle, I've had similar problems, and concerns.
Getting water in there is NOT GOOD. I can't believe I didn't think of adding weather stripping :rolleyes: I'm excited to do this, thanks again :smile:

I did a similar thing two or three years ago but yours looks slightly better. :wink: Hint: Both sides of the rear cover have to be done. Otherwise the water is pouring in on the lower side.

There is supposed to be a gasket that runs along the top side of the coil cover that prevents water from going in.

Perhaps that was missing?

Hint: Both sides of the rear cover have to be done. Otherwise the water is pouring in on the lower side.

I disagree, at least in part - better leave a least some small spots for drainage or you'll trap condensation in there and create a worse problem.

My car is a daily driver, I don't take any special precautions when I wash the car, and I have driven many times through torrential downpours, but not deep puddles. When I did my timing belt 18 months ago, I made sure the OEM gaskets were at top (see post by pbassjo) , and lubricated them with silicon grease to make a good seal.

My spark plugs, etc, look brand new with over 55 kmi on them, so the OEM gaskets & design does work. I have seen people put the cover on upside down, with the gasket at the bottom. That's like making a bowl to collect water.

I disagree, at least in part - better leave a least some small spots for drainage or you'll trap condensation in there and create a worse problem.

I've to disagree. :)
There's enough room at the sides if ever water gets in.

Hi,

I've to disagree. :)
There's enough room at the sides if ever water gets in.

I have to agree with our friend Goldy here :wink:

And this is a design flaw by Honda: With everything like it left the factory, all covers and gaskets, etc, water DOES get in there... this is a fact, as it costed me over $3000 to fix my engine and that gave the opportunity to carefully look at everything.

Nuno

Well if you look at my photos 1. If water gets past the weather strip it will be blocked by the weather strip wrapped around the coil making a good seal and 2. I made sure I had a good seal on the top and sides where water is prone to coming in. I seriously doubt I will have any issues.

Nick,

Your design did leave the bottom edge open to drain, which was my point.

goldNSX and Nuno,

Maybe its a terminology thing, but I meant to leave the bottom open. I agree its OK to seal the side edges in addition to a seal on the top (as in the OEM). But, if you think the bottom edge needs to be sealed, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.:wink:

Back