• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

PS2 NSX vs The Real Thing @ Leguna Seca

That was very interesting to me. I probably have hundreds of hours in a PS2 GT3/4 NSX, but next month will be my first real HPDE. No idea what to expect.

A little something I noticed after that video was released:
topgear_nsx_comparison.jpg

I made this before I knew all that much about the R model, so forgive the "bigger brakes and more hp" part. But anyway- is the NSX-R actually worth 16 seconds over a Type-S on Laguna Seca? Pffft...no. My guess would be 3 to 5 seconds or so at most.

One of the first times I drove the track using 2slow2speed's '97 NSX with street tires (S03s) and TEIN RAs, I ran a 1:54 at LS and I don't think I was pushing it. I'm sure I can go faster next time, and even faster with better suspension.

Nimbus said:
I've done 1:48 at LS in a stock Zanardi (basically a JDM Type-S) on street tires, so it's believable a Type-R on r-tires can run 1:41.

It may be possible, but I think that is really pushing it... It would be good to look at PD Cunningham's laptimes during World Challenge as a good comparison, though I think at the time they were running Toyo T1S which is a street tire.

Nimbus said:
I've done 1:48 at LS in a stock Zanardi (basically a JDM Type-S) on street tires, so it's believable a Type-R on r-tires can run 1:41.

That is quite impressive if it was truly stock. I would have loved to be there and witness it ....... :wink:

As for a Type R running 1:41, I am still skeptical.

steveny said:
Where is his helmet???????????:confused:

Up his but? They don't work unless you wear them...

Hrant said:
That is quite impressive if it was truly stock. I would have loved to be there and witness it ....... :wink:

See, I told you 1:47s in a bone stock NSX is do-able. Now, if anyone willing to lend me their bone stock NSX to prove this..... ;)

I still have that $10 waiting to be taken ........ :cool:

Last year I was at Laguna 4 times and didn't see any stock NSXer show up that could crack the 1:50; most of us with hodge-podge of minor home brewed mods were running in 1:54 to 1:57. My best in HPDE was 1:56and I was on street tires that had seen some 40 heat cycles :eek: :biggrin:

So yeah, let's see what you all can do in a totally stock NSX. I will grant myself one second per turn as a handicap since you are younger with better reflexes and don't have kids waiting at home. And my math says you should have bagged 1:45 by now :tongue:

Ok Hrant, this tread has gone on long enough. Let Andrie drive your car at Laguna so he can prove he can do it! My money says he can! I recently ran a 1:39 and that was with some wet patches due to runoff. We also had really cold temps and old tires. If I would quit playing around I could probobly shave 2 to 4 seconds off of that? Andrie could humiliate me in his Civic!!! Your car would be the perfect candidate being it is the closest to stock in our group (really because your a tight wad). So what do you guys say? Lets plan on a smack off when Laguna opens again! Wow, for a guy who tries to stay low on the radar this smack talking has made me tired. Kip

Last edited:
I can attest Nimbus being a very competent driver and have seen him in the East and West Coast. Just last Sunday, he won his class in speedventures time attack by more than 6 seconds. That is a large margin of victory within the class on a small course 1:17:xx vs. 2nd place 1:23:xx.

BTW, I was at Laguna Seca a long time ago when Paul Mumford ran :1:46.xx in stock S2k (2nd fastest time of the day) with R-Compound and Andrie was also there. I don't know the capability of stock nsx on street tires vs. S2k on R-compound at Laguna Seca, but given equal drivers, I would think the time should be within 2-3 seconds.

Hrant said:
I still have that $10 waiting to be taken ........ :cool:

Last year I was at Laguna 4 times and didn't see any stock NSXer show up that could crack the 1:50; most of us with hodge-podge of minor home brewed mods were running in 1:54 to 1:57. My best in HPDE was 1:56and I was on street tires that had seen some 40 heat cycles :eek: :biggrin:

Kip Olson said:
Ok Hrant, this tread has gone on long enough. Let Andrie drive your car at Laguna so he can prove he can do it! My money says he can! I recently ran a 1:39 and that was with some wet patches due to runoff. We also had really cold temps and old tires. If I would quit playing around I could probobly shave 2 to 4 seconds off of that? Andrie could humiliate me in his Civic!!! Your car would be the perfect candidate being it is the closest to stock in our group (really because your a tight wad). So what do you guys say? Lets plan on a smack off when Laguna opens again! Wow, for a guy who tries to stay low on the radar this smack talking has made me tired. Kip

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Kip. But I don't think I can humiliate you in my civic. ;)

I turned 1:41.5 in the civic at laguna, using Toyo RA-1 tires. If I have slicks I can probably dip into 1:39s, which is only same times with yours with some wet patches. I think you are selling yourself short and playing humble :)

BTW, you want to join us on the fun with Nissan Vs. Honda thing by one of the guy from Sports Compact Car? Time to do the vengeance with than Nissan Skyline that supposedly beat you in the best motoring video? This time you will be on equal shoes. I'm sure you can take him!!

Hrant said:

Aaron (nimbus) is pretty fast :D, sadly these days he's driving a S2K and a Merc :rolleyes: (just giving him a hard time, hehe)

2slow2speed said:
Aaron (nimbus) is pretty fast :D, sadly these days he's driving a S2K and a Merc :rolleyes: (just giving him a hard time, hehe)

Thanks Ken. :smile: Come on out to play next Saturday (22nd) with Speedventures at Parhump. I haven't seen you and your NSX in a long time!

Back