• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

PS3 Pre-Orders tomorrow(Rumor)

Well not only is it late, its also OBSOLETE!

From AnandTech:
"Back when Sony announced the specifications of the PlayStation 3, everyone asked if it meant the end of PC gaming. After all Cell looked very strong and NVIDIA's RSX GPU had tremendous power. We asked NVIDIA how long it would take until we saw a GPU faster than the RSX. Their answer: by the time the PS3 ships. So congratulations to NVIDIA for making the PS3 obsolete before it ever shipped, as G80 is truly a beast."
AnandTech article - NVIDIA's GeForce 8800 (G80): GPUs Re-architected for DirectX 10

attachment.php

Intel's new quad core kentsfield on top of Nvidia's monster NV80 (image from anandtech)

-- Joe

Attachments

• kentsfieldvsg80.jpg
    kentsfieldvsg80.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 396
Supposedly, there will be something like 100,000 units shipped each week after launch...it's not likely that you'd have to wait until next year for another batch.

As for the problems with backwards compatibility, Sony has already mentioned that any issues that are present will likely be resolved through firmware updates...which can be downloaded off the Internet directly to the PS3 as soon as they become available.

Unless you live in Taiwan... in which case you get 500...

From TGDaily:
Chicago (IL) - And you thought the supply of Playstation 3 consoles in the U.S. was tight: Digitimes reports that Sony has allocated a total of 150 game consoles for its major launch event in downtown Taipei on November 17. An additional 350 consoles will be sold through 35 selected stores, according to Sony's Taiwan branch.
TGDaily - Taiwan gets 500 PS3 consoles for launch, U.S. PS3 allocation reduced again?

-- Joe

There is like 15 tents pitched outside of the Best Buy near my house. :eek:

ediddynsx said:
There is like 15 tents pitched outside of the Best Buy near my house. :eek:

Yeah..crazy..and it comes out friday!...today is weds.

Drove by to buy my new mp3 player...funny to see how all the little games jaws droped as I drove my nsx by.

I played one at the Sony store here and I was not impressed at all. Granted it was NBA07 which isn't their best looking game, but it just looked "OK". All the hype about how much better it would be than 360 and I got there and felt "bleh". And its so much $$. I don't get why people are going so crazy over it. The launch games aren't even that interesting.

I got friends who are allready camping at sams club's. They are 1 and 2 in line and I guess there are only two coming to that store??
It is an easy 2 grand for 24-48 hours??

SaberX said:
I played one at the Sony store here and I was not impressed at all.

Gears of war is the first real "next generation game" and it became available 1 year after the Xbox 360 release. We must wait about 1 year too before games showing PS3 potential are available.

I bought 360, don't play it anymore after the superb Project gotham racing 3.
No other interesting games to buy yet.

But Nintendo Wii, I really want. I don't celebrate christmas and the christmas season is kind of boring for me, so I really want a fun timekiller lol It looks like Wii will win this time.

More and more develepors are loving Wii, praising it for half the production costs to produce a game for Wii compared with 360 and PS3. To them, more sold Wii's because of the low price means more sold games, so most people are most happy with Wii so far. AFAIK of course :)

I'll be getting a PS3 when they are available on a wider scale :rolleyes: . I don't want ANYTHING so bad that I would wait outside a store for 3 days to get it (maybe pay a kid a couple hundred to do it though :redface: ). I bought the 360 about 6 months after it was released and I like it alot. I have quite a few games for it, but I hardly ever play it because I travel alot.

I saw a Wii demo at a store earlier this week (Target maybe?) and I wasn't all that impressed. Nintendo was the king of gaming at one point, but that was LONG AGO :rolleyes: . They haven't been able to keep up since, and I don't think they will ever be back on top again... because they are Nintendo. Nintendo is looked at as a kids gaming system, and alot (if not most) of their games are kid oriented. So if they thinkthey are going to come out with a new console to compete with Sony and Microsot on a "Gamer" basis, they are going to have their hands full, becaue they are gonna have to move out of their "kids console" status first... This is all based on my my opinion though and not any facts, so I could be wrong about Nintendo all together. Maybe they're better than I think they are.

ShiftyBob said:
I saw a Wii demo at a store earlier this week (Target maybe?) and I wasn't all that impressed. Nintendo was the king of gaming at one point, but that was LONG AGO :rolleyes: . They haven't been able to keep up since, and I don't think they will ever be back on top again... because they are Nintendo. Nintendo is looked at as a kids gaming system, and alot (if not most) of their games are kid oriented. So if they thinkthey are going to come out with a new console to compete with Sony and Microsot on a "Gamer" basis, they are going to have their hands full, becaue they are gonna have to move out of their "kids console" status first... This is all based on my my opinion though and not any facts, so I could be wrong about Nintendo all together. Maybe they're better than I think they are.

Nintendo is for FUN, always been that way. Nintendo is the original. I'm not a Nintendo fan, Mario and co is played out IMO, but I really admire them for letting go of the 15-20 year old handcontrol and moving on with controller with movement. It's genius!
I think it will be a blast. Imagine, swordfighting games, bowling, golf, tennis and so on. They don't have the graphics, but they sure have the funfactor (and fun is what gaming's all about right?)

I remember after first Playstation which was revolutionary because of the 3D graphics, nothing new came out. Only vibration on the handcontroller of PS2. Well, maybe the online part of Xbox, too.
PS2 and Xbox had great graphics, but the games were just the same as the older generation consoles. Except for better graphics of course.

Finally, Nintendo gives games a new dimension :) I'm ready to kill some time :biggrin:

wow... i was sifting through some of those articles... here's an impressive quote from this link:

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/11/10/ps3_bestbuy_burbank_line/

"as one guy explains how he quit his job to stand in line, while another won't be buying his girlfriend an engagement ring anytime soon"

Granted he may not be ALL about his girlfriend... if I were her I would be extremely irritated...

x

Gears of War is a great reason to have an Xbox360...I'll probably eventually pick up both. But I recently bought a 1080p Bravia XBR2 LCD TV with the mindset I will be buying a PS3.

I have 2 friends who waited in line at a local Target for 2 days (#4 and #5 in line). They had 6 at that store with 13 people waiting.

They got theirs and off to EBay they're going.

I find these smash videos painful to watch...though I can't deny I've been tempted to do something like that to mock all of the crazy people who are willing to sacrifice their jobs and spouses just to wait in a line like that.

I'll be getting my PS3 in time for Christmas, but won't wait in a line for one. Plus, I can play games on our office PS3 Test units...I think I'm close to the end of Resistance: Fall of Man's single player campaign.

As for the Wii...the thing is a beefier Gamecube with a unique joystick. Yes, it is a tremendously grand idea to change the way you interact with your games, but I suspect the novelty of the Wiimote will wear off if games aren't designed to fully exploit them in creatively fresh ways. Fortunately for Wii, Nintendo's game designers are usually associated with being quite creative.

If you're going to play a driving game, there's nothing better than having an actual force feedback steering controller (like the Driving Force Pro...which still works with PS3). Guitar Hero may never have become as popular if it weren't for its guitar shaped controller. An air combat game is instantly more involving with a high quality flight stick, throttle, and weapon control system. The Wiimote allows you to pretend that your controller is many more things than it actually is, but joysticks and steering wheels make the kinds of games I typically play feel more real...and I'm still waiting for a game console to allow me to use a keyboard and mouse with first person shooters (annoying that Resistance does not because the PS3 hardware recognizes USB keyboards and mice).

BTW, launch titles on new consoles will always be lackluster because developers haven't had the opportunity to really learn what the hardware can do. It gets even worse for developers porting games across multiple platforms on to a new system...I wouldn't expect games being developed concurrently on Xbox360 titles to look nearly as good on PS3 especially since Xbox360 is on their second year titles already. Second year titles give you a much better idea of what the hardware is capable of, but I'd go a step further and say that a specific developer's second title on the hardware is an even better indicator.

NRG said:
I believe it's Fry's in Santa Clara on Lawrence Expressway instead.

After reviewing the video again, it is definitely the Brokaw Road Fry's. It has the mayan theme with square columns and blue painted walls.

-- Joe

I just walked into Best Buy during lunch today to check out freezers and they just happened to have a couple PS3's in stock. Naturally, I bought one. Crazy!

Apparently many BB's got a shipment of 16, so if you want one try you local Best Buy quickly before they're all gone.

-Josh

Back