• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Quaife quick ratio manual steering rack

I had a couple minutes to properly look over the rack kit today. Here are some details and markings for posterity:

* 7 tooth pinion (stock is 5)
* Numbers printed on pinion: F12U103-0118089
* Numbers printed on rack shaft: F12U102-0118088

It’s possible these are serial numbers that change between kits.

Seven teeth

40421755-5E99-4475-B8F5-F569E0EDC179.jpeg

The pinion shaft numbers

A1EC36EE-9875-4973-885B-642380F342C1.jpeg

Rack shaft numbers

444CC021-AD5D-4A55-8952-47AB60AA053F.jpeg

Rack teeth

F3DBA6FE-FE3E-4A67-934C-0E5503BFADBD.jpeg

Note that on the bar in these kits the flat spots on the ends are perpendicular to the rack teeth. This is 90 degrees different than the stock:

3AC4356B-4CA1-4AE7-AF6F-F670902C552E.jpeg

And looks like Charles stamped the kits with NSX rack repair. Mine says 2/28. Presumably 1/28 is in Charles’s car. And 28 because the first batch ended up being only 28 due to material issues on with two of them on quaife’s end.

AA7C490B-D814-4285-93E1-6846EEE7C063.jpeg

Got both of my kits a few days ago, they look good! Didn’t get any tracking info or notifications, just a heads up to those with porch pirates.

Huge thanks to Bogle for making this whole thing happen. 👏👏👏👏👏

Anymore feed back on this mod? Would love to hear if it's worth it or not in case another round happens.
I swapped mine during the winter, so my muscle memory forgot the OEM feel by the time driving season started again, but a friend of mine with a stock rack drove each others' back-to-back last weekend and a standard 90° street corner seemed to take about half an hour's worth of turning less--from center to about 6 o'clock to about 5 thirty. He has an aftermarket wheel and hub, so it might have been less noticeable than stock equipment, but mine definitely did feel tighter. Not exactly the most accurate process and measurements, but you can feel a difference.

^Official video with more scientific methods.

I have three early cars all with same rims and tires, and had the rack put in the 92. I’ve only driven stock/Quaife back to back once but definitely noticeably quicker steering around town and on twisties.

I did notice a tiny bit more effort required to steer at low speeds, no gym rat here so it’s probably negligible to most people. Definitely recommend doing this mod, I bought two racks and pretty sure the other is going in the 93 gpw.

Huge thanks again to Bogle for doing this project, I feel lucky to have randomly spotted it on Prime at the right time.

Awesome, I'm really really glad to hear the effort increase isn't all that noticeable! That was my main concern.

I haven't had a chance to install or drive the car since I got my kit. Once my car is back together, I'll do a drive both with the old and the new rack, then write something up. I cant wait to try the racks back-to-back

It really is a great upgrade. The only time I notice the difference in input effort is right off of center, I think because the stock rack is variable ratio and Quaife is constant. Thanks again Bogle, the car should have come like this from the factory. Really excited to get it out on these new roads!

I'm so late to this party. But life.....I want one of these kits, please somebody help me.

XPRD

The website says they are collecting names for a possible second batch. I emailed them a week ago but no response yet.

The website says they are collecting names for a possible second batch. I emailed them a week ago but no response yet.

I called them and they are doing a new minimum list of 30. They are at 16 right now. I'm on the list.

For RHD, it’d be worth calling Charles and telling him you’re interested. Quaife has a 30 unit batch minimum for these. iirc it’s not a ton more effort for them to adapt it to rhd, but there needs to be 30 (probably prepaid) commitments. Tell your Aussie and Japanese friends about it I guess!

For RHD, it’d be worth calling Charles and telling him you’re interested. Quaife has a 30 unit batch minimum for these. iirc it’s not a ton more effort for them to adapt it to rhd, but there needs to be 30 (probably prepaid) commitments. Tell your Aussie and Japanese friends about it I guess!
I'll do just that, thanks Bogle!

I'll do just that, thanks Bogle!
i would be down for a RHD version,

looking at the actual rack though, are we 100% sure it wont fit in a RHD steering rack housing? its symmetrical that's all and unless honda changed the design massively, as opposed to just mirroring the assembly, then it should go in shouldn't it?

Back