• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question about driving in Switzerland

As the forum heading says some off topic is ok, I have the following question for the Swiss guys.

Me and some friends are driving this year for our annual skiing (well snowboarding) hols. We are going to Verbier. This will be the first time we are driving, we normally fly.

So question is, to drive to Verbier at Christmas, do I need winter tyres? I will be taking snow chains, but do I have to get new tyres too? I am driving my CRV not the NSX (this time!).

In the UK we do not change our tyres to winter ones, we use the same all year round.

We'll only be driving to Verbier town, and parking there. We're not going to be driving up any mountains.

I live near Zurich at 400m above sea level. In December there might be snow on the street or there might be not. But it's a gambling game doing a forecast. Driving with summer tires on snow is a BIG NO NO, even with snow chains which are usually on the front tires. Maybe allseason tires work but this is only recommended here for people who can let their car in the garage while the heavy snow season. Even with the cheapest winter tire you're better off. Don't forget icy roads where a car with summer tires is absolutely undriveable. Winter tires should have 4 mm on the profil at least.
Just remember that it's no fun having a crash in your holidays, waiting for repair will be a nightmare.
If you never drove on snow or ice be careful and drive slowly and keep enough distance to the car in front of you. :) Braking on pure ice is like your brakes-pedal falls to the floor. Nothing happens than wild ABS pumping :eek:

All true. If it snows here we just carry on driving on whatever tyres we have. Remember the CRV has more semi-off road tyres than the NS, which has high performance type tyres.

What I was really wanting to know, is there a legal requirement to have winter tyres?

Every time we have been on holiday, the roads from the airport to the resort, are clear. The coaches have to travel on these roads all the time.

We have quite a lot of snow up here in the Arctic and normally we use winter-tyres with studs. I also have a CR-V and I have tried both allseason and winter-tyres without studs.
All-season is in principle summer-tires but with a more open pattern. They are NOT to be recommended. I am an experienced winter-driver and they were complete useless with no grip at all.
The last 4 seasons I have been driving studless wintertyres from Bridgestone on the CR-V and Yokohama on the NSX and they are both very comfortable as they are softer compund and more quiet on paved roads. The grip on all surfaces except wet ice is very good. You should be a littel more defensive in your driving than normal. Good luck!

Hello J14nsx

Please use the tires midnight sun Xpress tells you, and iff you drive trough germany please take care. Iff you have an accident while it is snowing or the roads are that bad that you need other tires than your regular "summer tires" there is a positibility that the can sue you for the accident

greating ronny.

p.s for 4 winter now i am driving always on wintertires and beleave me you are going to another world

j14nsx said:
What I was really wanting to know, is there a legal requirement to have winter tyres?

No, it's up to your responsability but I don't know what happens if you cause an accident on snow with winter tires. There will be a police report 99% for sure as a foreign car is involved. And maybe your insurance reads in the report that you were not driving on winter tires on snow. Its open to your insurance what they will do maybe regress. You won't be arrested here. :D They will let pass you the borderline with no comment.

As Ronny already mentioned if it's snowing enough to have more than 10 cm snow on the street you're entering a completely different (interesting! :D) world. :)

To stress midnights statement about defensive driving: If you're new to driving in heavy snow you should drive much more defensive. A 4WD has a big advantage in traction under acceleration but in turns or on the brakes all cars face the same physical laws.

Snow chains are no substitute for winter tires either.

Good luck!

Back