• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question about s03's

Ok.. I've done several searches but haven't come up with the answer I was looking for...

Ok.. so i've heard these tires are deschet.....

I have the 94 stock combo.. 16/17...

But s03's don't retain the stock sizes for the 16" rim... although I know some people have purchased a set of 17's just to fit these, I don't intend to.

For those people who have the same combination, what tire size did you choose to get? How was performance on the track?

thanks,
x

Xavier - I also run 225x45x16 front and 255x40x17 rear on stock 1994 wheels. They are fine on the street (no tram lining/following ruts) and I am very happy with them at the track, rain or dry. You will notice improved braking as well as cornering. They are absolutely fantastic in the rain. The 225 width fronts don't rub.

Last edited:
OLDE GUY said:
Xavier - I also run 225x45x16 front and 255x40x17 rear. I am very happy with them at the track, rain or dry. You will notice improved braking as well as cornering. They are absolutely fantastic in the rain.

Cool... just like you were starting to notice the first time I met you.. the RE010's start to get really mushy and greasy after about 20 minutes or so of track driving... makes the car rather funky to drive after long sessions.

thanks again,
x

Xavier - I think that they are superior to the RE 010 in the increased widths that we are talking about. The RE 010s became greasy/slippery for me after 12 minutes on the track even though I lowered the pressures. I found this effect disconcerting, frustrating and unnerving. With my stiff suspension, I think that my NSX simply needed wider tires.

ALSO watch the tire pressures. If the ambient temp is 50 to 60 degrees F. go with 32 PSI front and 36 PSI rear, if ambient is 60 to 70 degrees go with 31 front and 35 rear. And if ambient is 70 to 80+ degrees go with 30 front and 34 rear. All pressures COLD meaning about 2 hours after a session (based on the pressures of the tires in the shade; tires in the sun are at least 1 PSI higher).

As you know, the ambient temperature rises during the day. There is usually about 2 hours or more between sessions so check your tire temps before you go out. If the day begins in the mid 50s but in the afternoon is approaching 80 or more, lower your tire pressure according to the higher ambient temp
i.e. 80 degrees F ---> 30 front and 34 rear before you go out.

Another approach is to measure the tire pressures immediately after a session in the paddock. Someone on NSXPrime has suggested that for the SO3s the fronts should not be above 38 and the rears above 40 or else they feel greasy. I pay attention to this measurement especially after my second and third sessons to fine tune the pressures for the afternoon when the ambient temperature is warmest. With this approach, the SO3s hold up well during the entire sesson and don't feel greasy. I tentatively think that up to 42 PSI rear is OK measured immediately after a session. Measuring the tire pressures after a session is the way to determine what is the appropriate pressures for your NSX with your suspension, brakes, driving techniques, etc. at that particular ambient temperature.

PS: The 255x40x17 SO3 rear tire circumference is 3.7% larger than the 17 inch RE 010 so your speedometer will read 3.7% too low i.e. a speedo reading of 70 is really 72.6 MPH. At 100, it is really 103.7 MPH. The TCS will be OK with the 225x45x16 front tires.

Last edited:
I ran S0-3's for the track events I attended this year and was fairly impressed with them. I didn't push the car too much b/c of suspension issues but the tires communicated well once you got used to how they felt. I wouldn't hesitate is recommending them - I use 235/40-17 and 285/30-18

But wouldn't it be great if Yokohama made wider sizes in the A022?

I have a set of S03's with 17/18's right now. They are very sticky for a street tire. Just need to check pressures after each session. I measured 50's in the rear after a few hot laps. :eek: :eek:

btw, the other tire I would consider is the new PS2. A bit better according to tirerack's test.

nsxtasy said:
I've never observed that with the A022H.

Ken,
Just out of curiousity, what type of tire pressures do you have when you come in from a session?

OLDE GUY said:
PS: The rear tire circumference is 3.7% larger than stock so your speedometer will read 3.7% too low i.e. a speedo reading of 70 is really 72.6 MPH. At 100, it is really 103.7 MPH. The TCS will be OK.

Bill,
I'm assuming this is for a 94 nsx? Switching from the 91 rims to the 94 already messed up my speedometer... the other way.. i was reading 65 but actually doing around 63 ish..

x

For those who've used the 225/45/16 S03s on the OEM wheels, how does the car respond to a 7" wide wheel?

fangtl said:
For those who've used the 225/45/16 S03s on the OEM wheels, how does the car respond to a 7" wide wheel?

As 7" is the size for the 16" stock front wheels and I never used anything else I have no comparison to other sizes but I didn't experience any responsive problem. Although I was a lot more satisfied with the steering response when I changed to Dali street anti sway bars - sharper turn in. Nowadays I have the Dali track bars and it feels like a go-cart.

Rear Tire Pressures for Street Driving

One more thing about SO3 tire pressure for street driving. My 255x40x17 rear tires are wearing most in the center inspite of aggressive 1991 toe-in settings and negative 2.3 degrees of camber which should cause the inner 1/3 to wear more. The track driving I do usually causes outer edge wear and aggrevates the inner wear too. My previous set of RE 010s wore more on the inner 1/3rd as one would expect.

When driving the SO3s on the highway, I have used 38 # cold pressure. I now believe this is too much, causing overinflation and excessive center rear tire wear. I am going to try a rear tire pressure of 36 # for street driving. Just a heads up.

The 225x45x16 front tires are wearing evenly with 32 # pressure for the street even with significant track use and inspite of negative 1.6 degrees of camber and aggressive 1991 toe-out settings.

Last edited:
Re: Rear Tire Pressures for Street Driving

OLDE GUY said:
One more thing about SO3 tire pressure for street driving. My rear tires are wearing more in the center inspite of aggressive 1991 toe-in setting and negative 2.3 degrees of camber - which should cause the inner 1/3 to wear more. The track driving I do usually causes outer edge wear and aggrevates the inner wear too. My previous set of RE 010s wore more on the inner 1/3rd.

When driving the SO3s on the highway, I have used 38 # cold pressure. I now believe this is too much, causing overinflation and excessive center rear tire wear. I am going to try a rear tire pressure of 36 # for street driving. Just a heads up.

The front tires are wearing evenly with 32 # pressure for the street with significant track use inspite of negative 1.6 degrees of camber and aggressive 1991 toe-out settings.

cool beans.. thanks Bill.. good heads up considering i'll probably getting these things on tomorrow.. :biggrin:

x

Hey Olde Guy,

I too have noticed the excessive center wear on the rear tires when running 40 PSI. On my second set of S03's I have been running at 35PSI and the wear is much more even across the tire width. I am at about 50% tread left on the 2nd set now. I have enjoyed the performance of the SO3's especially after running SP9000's which were terrible.

Ponyboy said:
I ran S0-3's for the track events I attended this year and was fairly impressed with them. I didn't push the car too much b/c of suspension issues but the tires communicated well once you got used to how they felt. I wouldn't hesitate is recommending them - I use 235/40-17 and 285/30-18

But wouldn't it be great if Yokohama made wider sizes in the A022?

What size rim are you running your front tires on and do they rub at all? I've noticed with the S0-3's I have to go from my current 215 RE40's to the larger 235's and was concerned about rubbing. My front is lowered about 1.25 inches.

Thanks,

John

FWIW, I use the 235/40-17 S03 and had some issues rubbing. Taking out the fender liner solved the problem.

Ponyboy said:
FWIW, I use the 235/40-17 S03 and had some issues rubbing. Taking out the fender liner solved the problem.

Looks like I might be going that way! Save a few more ounces off the car too...LOL

NSX-Racer said:
I was referring to the 225/45 that I use too. BTW: I also removed fender liners in front.

Is that on a 16 or 17 inch rim? I know I would have rubbing with a 45 series tire:-(

I run the 225 45-16 on the front and there is a very slight rubbing issue with the stock suspension. I have never heard it rub, but i can see rub marks in there. I have a stock suspension.

Is there any downside to removing the front fender liners?

Back