• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question for Lowered NSX owners- How low? how many miles? any Damage?

I'm gonna lower my NSX. The NSX is already low, I'm curious.

I'm planning on dropping my car soon. I'm gonna keeping my car for a long time guessing about 70K miles (it might not be long for some people) 7 years. But, If lowering the car causes to much headaches i might reconsider.

Here are my questions:

-How low did you drop your car?

-How long have you had it dropped? years, and miles

-What damage happened because it was lowered? (crack bumpers, side skirts, undercarriage dents, lips). When freeway going fast, or driveway?

-What are your driving conditions? where do you live? type of roads you drive? (side streets, highway, Small town, Big City etc)

-What is your driving style? Reckless, Careful, Careless etc...

Any more information you think will help me make an assessment is appreciated.

Thank You

Mine was lowered when I got it. Probably and inch to an inch and a half. No damage. I lightly scrape the front end every now and then, but that's why I keep the black plastic OEM front lip. It's easily replaced. I'd never drive one at the stock height. They look so much better dropped and inch. And I do drive mine "carefully". Not like I'm driving the pope, but I'm definitely cognizant of ramps and lips on driveways.

Had mine lowered immediately using Eibach sport springs (1-1/4 drop).

Only issues I have had are:

1. Speed bumps (tend to drive over them on an angle as opposed to straight on)
2. Dented the outer fender due to debris and/or wheel width. I've subsequently changed from a 225/35R18 to 215/35R18 and have replaced the cracked inner fender lining

Other than that no problems and I much prefer the look and handling.

I've been lowered on Tein flex coilovers for 3 years. You will eat rear tires fast, you have to know were to drive, but other than that it's not bad. The look and feel of the car is worth it.

Good post. I'm wondering the same thing. I scrape as it is, but I REALLY want to close up the wheel/fender gap.

Another question:
- Do you have a Post or Pre 1997?

The pre 1997 look like they have about an extra inch of ground clearance on the front lip which probably helps.

Just lowered my car about a month now, and driven it 300 miles. No problems at all. I can't go up steep 45 deg. driveways of course ( like the ones in S.F.)
No tire rub issues, tires will eventually wear more on the inners, but I rarely drive the car, so doesn't matter to me. With the 17/18" wheel combo, for sure won't have any issues.
Lowered her 1.25-1.5" H/R springs and Koni adj.

It looks more like the first pictures lowered. The other two seem to look to high. It has gone way down since these pics.
DSC00987.JPG

DSC00975.JPG

DSC00985.JPG

alot has to do with your setup.

longevity wise...
if you drop your car on OEM shocks and just springs then your shocks will wear out alot faster.

if you decide to go coilovers they too will eventually wear out but most of them you can sendback to the manufacturer to get refreshed. With the coilovers you have more options in terms of tuning your handling characteristics as well as ride height.

I'm lowered on HKS and I've scraped a couple of times... meaning my front lip has been changed 3 times, and my jack points have scraped as well. Granted I live in SF where everything is steep and I only have a one finger gap front and rear.

On speed bumps you need to slow down for obvious reasons and I have to avoid some parking garages and parking lots due to accessibility.

Tire wear isn't too much of a concern because either way the rears need to replaced more often than the fronts and a descent alignment will help out alot in terms of tire wear.

As other's have stated the handling,look, and feel are worth some of the troubles.

lower your car is a nightmare.

dont even get me started on my 2 lowered nsx.

its a stressful to drive, every single bump, driveway, dip in the street requires attention and getting out of the store is hell.

Cutting your car agressively sometimes wont even help and results in curbing the tow hook in the front or scraping up the side skirts.

really is stressful driving the cars.

1 - 1/2 inch drop is ok.

i have mind dropped 2-3 inches and its a nightmare. :mad:

Mine is NOT lowered and I scrape constantly here in San Francisco. Don't think I would want to lower it while living here.

OEM springs and Bilstein on the upper perch. The car looks great and the ride somfort is like with OEM shocks.
Have to be just a little bit conscious, especially over speed bumps where the speed has to be lower.
In my opinion it is worth it.

Mine is NOT lowered and I scrape constantly here in San Francisco. Don't think I would want to lower it while living here.

i agree with this post. i got my nsx lowered and it is a PITA.
it is frightening when a treelimb blows down in front of you. or a rock
winds up on the street. yes it does look good but when you are driving it
you cannot look at it.

it all comes down to your experience with lowered cars and familiarity with an area.

i've driven a lowered car since I purchased my first car. To me is just second nature on driving a lowered car. So used to it I drive regualr sedans the same way.

its not that bad but I can see how it would be a PITA if it were your daily driver.

If my NSX were a DD it would be a PITA being lowered. I have bilsteins with eibachs on the high perch. The car scrapes the undercarriage over some speed bumps, I've already lost one tow hook cover, and my front WW spoiler got scratched and chipped up within two weeks. Getting in an out of the car is more difficult and the car seems more difficult to turn at parking speeds. It's a hassle to get my jack under the car, and the alignment specs are not perfect. All that being said, the NSX is a driving machine and these negative traits don't bother me one bit. Life is all about sacrifices, and I'm willing to give up on a few creature comforts to get better handling and looks.

I have run OEM shocks with Eibachs on both of my NSXs. 25k miles on the first one and 10k miles on the 2nd one, so far.

No damage from the lowering. My first NSX came to me with H&R springs, which were too aggressive. The Eibachs are not an issue.

:mad: PIA PIA PIA PIA PIA!

guess we got more curbs here and speed bumps and dip and pits than any where else.

drive nsx is stressful has heck.

its so bad, even when im in my regular daily driver, i CRINGE when i hit a speed bump and i CUT every ramp i see.

I read here that the tire wear is not the major contributor for rear tire wear. The Toe is the major factor.

I'm not sure if this is true.

I'm looking at 1.25" drop. Has anyone had an alignment to correct the toe after dropping? If so how did your tire wear.

And that can be fixed with the camber correction kit.

Good post. I'm wondering the same thing. I scrape as it is, but I REALLY want to close up the wheel/fender gap.

Another question:
- Do you have a Post or Pre 1997?

The pre 1997 look like they have about an extra inch of ground clearance on the front lip which probably helps.

I have a 1991, i'm not sure if the lower lip is due to less weight or the lower lip design.

I would think it is just the lip.

I'm trying to figure out if the short tire life is due to Camber or Tow.

How did your wore tires look?
I'm wondering, and making assumptions:
-was only the inside severly worn (outside has alot of thread) this would due to camber.

-was there only a minor difference in wear from inside to outside, but still a difference. this would be due to a combination of chamber and toe

-was it even inside to outside. this would be due from toe

These are only an assumptions...

I've been lowered on Tein flex coilovers for 3 years. You will eat rear tires fast, you have to know were to drive, but other than that it's not bad. The look and feel of the car is worth it.

Funny

lower your car is a nightmare.

dont even get me started on my 2 lowered nsx.

its a stressful to drive, every single bump, driveway, dip in the street requires attention and getting out of the store is hell.

Cutting your car agressively sometimes wont even help and results in curbing the tow hook in the front or scraping up the side skirts.

really is stressful driving the cars.

1 - 1/2 inch drop is ok.

i have mind dropped 2-3 inches and its a nightmare. :mad:

I'm trying to figure out if the short tire life is due to Camber or Tow.

How did your wore tires look?
I'm wondering, and making assumptions:
-was only the inside severly worn (outside has alot of thread) this would due to camber.

-was there only a minor difference in wear from inside to outside, but still a difference. this would be due to a combination of chamber and toe

-was it even inside to outside. this would be due from toe

These are only an assumptions...

its the camber mostly. you can tell if its camber or tow by the type of wear.

camber results in regular wear patterns except the inside/outside depending on + or - will have less meat then the other side of the tire.

for Toe, your tires will look feathered in or out depending on the agressiveness of your toe angle.

For me and most nsx, its the crazy camber. :smile:

Back