• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question on winning car shows.

Been a while since I last posted, but I have recently been putting my car in some local Hawaii Car shows. Some friends jumped in so I figured what the hell. I ended up taking 2nd in best Acura at SPOCOM and Best Exotic at Hot Import Nights. Our competition in Hawaii is so so, and it's a decent opportunity to actually win things here. I'm not really huge into winning trophies and such, but my curiosity has gotten the best of me. The person that won best in show at HIN was a wide body turbo/nos 350z. Had lights everywhere, 3 tvs, looked like fricking 7 door panels on one door, fiberglass trunk enclosers etc. My question is if I wanted to make a push to actually win best in show, is this the way I would have to go? like lights, tvs everywhere, 20 speakers, fiberglass etc? I dont want that for my car, because I would probably want to blow up my car when it is all said and done. Is this the reality of car shows though? The one with the most "custom" work wins the chip?

Basically just wanted opinions on Competing against the fast and furious looking super flashy cars.

here is my car currently, going from CTSC to LoveFab soon also

1276856_10202248146352106_119151925_o.jpg
This is who won
car-show-92_.jpg

Last edited:
I personally believe its all in the crowd/show. I won Best NSX under 25k miles at NSXPO this year. If i had TVs and Lambo doors that probably wouldnt have happened.

For HIN, yes i do believe its whoever did the most CUSTOM things to their car. Dont ruin your car for a trophy. If thats what you want you can spend the money and just buy them and save a lot...

You need to know whats being judged... Competing at a usual car show with classes then you will see what your direct competition has. If youre competing in a MODIFIED class... then you see what youre against there.

if its a HIN or NOPI or whatever then its usually a way over the top and tooooo much money invested to ever return it back to stock mods that get the trophy IMO.

You want your car to attract attention.
With Judges, it is all about the engine compartment being open. I know a guy, when judging, he won't score a car if the engine isn't visible. I won best import stock category, (not many stock import cars out there), a couple of summers ago. I will tell you, when showing the NSX, open the engine and front hood. That is how the car gets most attention. Last summer I was a car show, and my car was just about completely ignored. I then opened the hood and engine compartment, then the trunk, then it got the attention. People just don't know the NSX. Show off it's uniqueness.

I normally show off the engine, but not the hood. Personally I think the car looks a bit rough for pictures with all of its compartments open? But I'll give it a shot next time around

Cleanliness is huge... Every nook and cranny needs to be spotless.

I come from the Corvette and British car show circuit. Best possible way to win a trophy? Talk with the judges and learn what they are looking for. This may even vary event to event. Who is hosting? Do they have criteria on-line or is it judge-to-judge specific?

Ask, listen, learn, build.

The NSX being rare and a historical icon will generate interest at most shows. But every show is different. If the show is mainly street rods and American muscle cars, you may not get a lot of consideration. But don't let that stop you from entering. Enter the class that best describes your car. Many shows aren't sure what class your car should be in so, you may have to decide for them to insure you're not in the tuner class if that doesn't properly fit your car. Many entries, at the charity benefit shows that I attend, put out their trophies and other memorabilia but that's not me. Though, I do have a copy of my sales sticker and a sheet with the specs and brief history including a stat about the car's rarity that I lay out. Mostly so I don't have to be at the car and can go see the other cars in the show.

Most show judges require that the car be fully open until after they inspect your car. For the NSX this means the front compartment as well as the engine compartment and trunk. If these areas are spotless you'll do well. A well detailed stock NSX is spectacular as is the modded one. Though the modded car will be judged for creativity, fit and finish. You should style your car in the way that makes you happy and don't worry what the judges think unless you are really all about winning car shows.

I go to these shows to support a charity, hang out with other car guys and learn about their cars. And to hopefully educate others about the car we all love. I also let some folks sit in the car to experience the view that we see when we drive the car. There's no better trophy than the look of awe on the face of some kid as he/she sits behind the wheel of a video game avatar.

Thanks guys, this helps a lot. We only really have 3 shows a year here, but talking to the judge on the SPOCOM show said the NSX is a double edged sword. Basically it's a great looking car as is, and sometimes the judges account for that and grade you less because an "Unfair" advantage. Fortunately he was a writer for Honda tuning, so he appreciated everything I did, and the hard work involved.

Enter the class that best describes your car. Many shows aren't sure what class your car should be in so, you may have to decide for them to insure you're not in the tuner class if that doesn't properly fit your car.

I get that a lot. I have won Best in Class for:
1. Exotic
2. Sport Compact
3. Tuner
4. Daily Driver
5. Race Car
6. Import

And if I didn't correct one judge at a local show I probably could have won Best Corvette...........

I took third place in a local Corvette sponsored car show. I entered the Exotic class against a stock Viper... Which I figured the judges knew him.... So I said I got second place at least.. go figure But what I didn't know was that a stock yes stock PT cruiser was put in the same class as us and there's my car heavily modded with the right JDM parts the works. I lost to the Cruiser. The trophies came out I told them they can keep it. No more local shows for me. Since then I have taken second place at NOPI Nationals for several year under Modded NSX. I lost to the yellow Castrol NSX with the full comptech body kit.. That I will gladly take second place or a third..

I hate trophies... people get so wrapped up in winning car shows and not enjoying their vehicles it's somewhat crazy. At all of the big shows I've attended... winning is usually about politics ie who you know, rather than how nice/clean the the cars really are. And no, I'm not bitter in any way. Usually I just don't even register to be judged because I'd rather not get involved in all the bs.

I hate trophies... people get so wrapped up in winning car shows and not enjoying their vehicles it's somewhat crazy.

I can see how this could happen, I didnt expect to win anything the first time I jumped in a show, but I must admit it was kind of nice to be recognized on your hard work, time and money. Not saying it was necessary, but it was a nice experience.

I wasnt even aware that we had any influence over what category we were put in. At HIN they called off the 3 Acuras, and I was pretty shocked, after looking at the competition, that 3 of them beat me; Found out later I was in the exotic class.

I hate trophies... people get so wrapped up in winning car shows and not enjoying their vehicles it's somewhat crazy. At all of the big shows I've attended... winning is usually about politics ie who you know, rather than how nice/clean the the cars really are. And no, I'm not bitter in any way. Usually I just don't even register to be judged because I'd rather not get involved in all the bs.

It really has gotten to a point with the shows... If I bring my car, where will it be parked outside the show. If It will better parked inside. I enter it to get better parking inside. ....HIN shows There's no way I would enter or bring my car. Closest one to me was Charlotte and I'm glad I din't bring anything that would get messed up. So many cars getting hit and they wanted you to keep your car in the show all night. with no way to move it out if you had too.

Car shows in Hawaii is a hit and miss. I won two 3rd place before back in the mid 2005-2006 era with my white NSX, but the times I did place was when my car wasn't at it's best, and the times it was at its best didn't win anything. Once, my friend an I (The previous owner of the White NSXR replica) didn't win anything in the Exotic Class. They had a stock Ferrari there, a stock Lotus, and our two modified NSX's. That's it. You would think we would win something right? No, They put us in the General Acura class, and an Audi A4 won first in Exotic Class, an M3 won 2nd in Exotic Class, and we didn't win anything.

I used to build my car to try and place in the car show, knowing that I simply remove the flashy stuff once the show was done and revery back to the mods I like. However, that can get expensive as you end up buying mods that you normally wouldn't buy and just take them off until the next car show. It was still a very fun time though as I met a lot of cool people with some nice rides during that time.

I used to compete at HIN shows and every other "tuner show" that was held remotely close to me. It got old real quick, and was a pain in the butt with having to set up the day before the show, leave your car in overnight, and then dealing with the traffic jam / cluster f when the show was over and everyone trying to get out at the same time. I stopped showing in '05 and haven't been to a HIN show since probably '06 or '07, but I can't imagine it has changed too much.

Now on the other hand, I also had people ask me to be a judge for numerous local car shows, and that was arguably more frustrating, because everyone thinks their car is the best and should win 1st place. When I would judge, I would pay more attention to the mods and how they were executed vs. how much was done to a car... attention to detail and cleanliness were huge to me.

Carshows are always hit and miss. I've seen cars win that shouldn't have even placed. I've seen these same cars win at different regional shows. Sometimes I think it's "who you know", not what you show. I quit showing years ago. You spend your last dime, endless hours, blood sweat and tears just to watch 2nd class Neon take a f-ing win. My car sets in the parking lot like all other spectators. I'm much happier now.:rolleyes:

I only do car shows that benefit charities that I support. There are about 30 car shows around San antonio every year. I do about 5 or 6 of them. One of the larger ones is the Wounded Warriors Memorial Day show. They get about 300 to 400 cars.

The first time I did the show I was a last minute entry because I found out about the show at 8am that morning when a friend of mine called to get me to go. I had been driving the car for a few days so it was dusty. I just parked the car opened it up and walked away to look at other cars. I ended up winning my class. I don't get into the politics because I don't care about trophies. If I get one fine if not fine. I go to these shows to look at cars and talk to the owners. Also, I can support my favorite charities and educate folks about the NSX. It's like church, politics ruins the experience and I'm there for a higher cause. That way I'm never disappointed.

I went to this small car show for charity. It was mostly classics muscle cars etc. There was an import/tuner category. It was my clean NSX with tons of type r parts, a beat up 92 civic with ugly body kit and a decent Subaru wrx. We were the only imports there so I figured well this ones in the bag. They award a dodge magnum the import/tuner award... It was one of those ridiculous five TVs in each door. I think it was actually one Chris Foose did that this guy bought and shows it has something he did lol

I agree with the great majority of comments regarding local and franchised car shows... they can be very political, unpredictable, frustrating, infuriating, etc. And the judging criteria is most often a mystery, not known or not disclosed, and even when known, not always followed. But, they can be enjoyable events, especially if you don't get to caught up in "winning"... this takes a few disappointments, and you either never go back again or you re-set your expectations and enjoy the day! My NSX has garnered many trophies at a variety of shows over the years, and I've had my share of seeing other, what I thought were less deserving, cars win... but, I still enjoy participating for the conversations, smiles, and thanks received from those that enjoy the car.

-RoyW.

Cars & Coffee > car shows.
Give me the relaxed, friendly, non-competitive Cars & Coffee environment every time. The one held by DuPont Registry in St. Petersberg is among the best I have attended. Wish we had one near here but not even New Orleans or Mobile seems to have a Cars & Coffee. Hmmm...maybe I'll get something going.

As to car shows, in my experience most points are generated directly by modifications and customization. So while cleanliness and fit/finish are key in stock and mild classes, when it comes to bos awards the guy with the most outrageous modifications that are engineered the best, with oem quality fit and finish will generally take home the trophy.

Last edited:
I took third place in a local Corvette sponsored car show. I entered the Exotic class against a stock Viper... Which I figured the judges knew him.... So I said I got second place at least.. go figure But what I didn't know was that a stock yes stock PT cruiser was put in the same class as us and there's my car heavily modded with the right JDM parts the works. I lost to the Cruiser. The trophies came out I told them they can keep it. No more local shows for me. Since then I have taken second place at NOPI Nationals for several year under Modded NSX. I lost to the yellow Castrol NSX with the full comptech body kit.. That I will gladly take second place or a third..

My 1973 Pantera got 2nd to a (relatively unmodified) Miata in the "other" category once...so now only charity shows or Cars & Coffee.

Last edited:
Back