• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question on winning car shows.

Like many have said before, car shows can really be hit or miss. It really depends what type of show you are attending. Generally your car should be spotless, and you should be present when the judge is looking over your car so that you can open all compartments and speak to the judge regarding modifications/condition of the vehicle. As far as modifications go, it really varies on the event you're attending. If you are attending a classic type car show, they might value things to remain OE with all part numbers matching.

If you are attending an event like Spocom or HIN, they both use a similar rule book. Check out this link to get an idea of what the judges and the show are looking for. http://tuningstandard.com/

One thing to keep in mind, you can only max out 10 points per category. You might have a better built engine setup, but maybe you get a 10 and your competition gets a 7. But then when it comes to In Car Entertainment (ICE), maybe he has 8 tv screens and you have a basic audio setup. In that situation, he might get a 10 for audio and you get a 3, all of a sudden he's ahead on the score card. A lot of my friends who built show winning cars modified their vehicles based off this criteria. It's definitely not for everyone, but hopefully I help shed some light on things.

All in all, I agree with everyone else. I say mod your car the way you'd like, and attend shows to relax and have fun. If you go chasing the HIN/Spocom trophy route, you might end up building a car you don't like.

I personally believe its all in the crowd/show.

+1 (plus judges opinions) my car took third at HIN in Phoenix in Acura category... a stock 2000 NSX with HRE wheels.

guy that won best of show is an LED re-seller and his car looked like a concert light show on wheels

Last edited:
I've yet to see a local import car show that used a proper point system and knowledgeable judges. Watching the results is like watching But Light win at a beer festival. It may be popular but that doesn't make it a great beer.

I used to have a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 that was good enough for shows. I can't tell you how many times there were arguments about what was right and what was wrong on the car.

I bet if you took any car, say, a 2014 Boss 302, or a brand-new Corvette Stingray Z06, drove it off the assembly line, put it in a hermetically sealed container, stored it in a perfect environment to preserve it, then unsealed it in all its perfection glory 50 years from now and entered it in a show, there'd be judges that will find faults with it and claim "that's not how it came from the factory" or some such other nonsense.

In my opinion, the only voting I'd be happy to win would be people's choice, from the spectators, not the participants or designated judges.

Since often your car is an extension of your ego.....car shows are best suited to those most comfortable in their own skin.

Attended AUTOCON in Seattle. Just went to see other cars and mods. It was a good day. Did not expect to be entered in the show. There were at least 3 other NSX's there. One with a unusual body kit which he came in 3rd in best Acura behind two Integra's. It was all about looks, fit and finish with the mods. I would go again for just the networking and car talk.

Most show judges require that the car be fully open until after they inspect your car. For the NSX this means the front compartment as well as the engine compartment and trunk. If these areas are spotless you'll do well. A well detailed stock NSX is spectacular as is the modded one. Though the modded car will be judged for creativity, fit and finish. You should style your car in the way that makes you happy and don't worry what the judges think unless you are really all about winning car shows.

I go to these shows to support a charity, hang out with other car guys and learn about their cars. And to hopefully educate others about the car we all love. I also let some folks sit in the car to experience the view that we see when we drive the car. There's no better trophy than the look of awe on the face of some kid as he/she sits behind the wheel of a video game avatar.

Good info from LostBuckeye. The Autorama World of Wheels under the ISCA (International Show Car Association) has been the most official car show I've participated last year. I plan to be in it again this year.
You have to have the car open, hood, rear hatch showing the engine, trunk and they require that at least one door is open. That is why I'm still working on either finding a door prop rod or making one.

Otherwise most shows don't deduct points for not having a door open. I always leave the windows open too.

IMO to win Best of Show a car has to be very impressive. I don't know if a person need to buy lots of mods.

It seems like being an import/foreign car would be tougher to win. At least here in the Midwest where I'm at. Most shows are about American Iron. Some of the shows don't even have a foreign or import class.

I've won quite a few class awards. Normally Import or Foreign. But I have also done well in two seater Sports Car class (non-Corvette). The larger shows seem to have a separate class for Corvettes, which is good since there are so many, and so many very nice ones.

I do the local Coffee and Cruise, it's just fun to see the cars and meet up with other car guys & gals.

In last year's World of Wheels my 91 NSX placed second in the Foreign Sports class behind a very nice 1949 MG TC Restored Roadster. It was a nicer car.

Even though I have aftermarket wheels and West Wings ground effects and a few other small modifications, headers, Kenwood Stereo etc. I show it in stock. Most shows allow a few changes from stock and still be able to show it as stock.

If you cross over to a Modified class then it is a whole other ball game. Then you go up against lots of bling, custom paint, etc.

The main thing is "Clean, clean, clean." Very few shows I've been to check the undercarriage, but a few of the bigger one's will.

For me it seems the NSX engine bay stays much cleaner than cars with their engines in the front. Then again, with the NSX having a mid-engine, they have more openings to judge, the engine bay, under the hood and trunk.

It is tougher for me to win when I'm in classes with new cars. Mine is stock and has small chips in the hood. Most don't see them, but they are there and if you get close enough they are there.

I attend most shows for charity events. But there are a few that aren't, like the Last Fling Til Spring which is the largest single day car show in the mid-west with Monster Trophies (even though they still have monster trophies all the class awards are plaques now, they believe most people would rather have plaques), and the Autorama World of Wheels (plaques except Best of Show and a few other specialty awards).

I began showing the car because people around here never really get to see one up close around here. But there are more owners in the area now, but still it is extremely rare to see one of us out in the wild.

Actually at last years World of Wheels while I was cleaning up the NSX during the show setup, quite a few of the owners with cars in the show came up to me and asked what type of car it is, which surprised me car guys wouldn't know what an NSX is.

My car is nice but it isn't Best of Show nice. Maybe at some local shows I could stand a chance, but most go to American made cars, some very old and some not so old.

I did win a Sports car class last fall up against a couple of new Vipers. I was a bit surprised, since it is tough to win against an almost new car when your car is 22 years old, now 23, or when I go up against a restored car.

But I do it for the fun of it. I enjoy looking at the other cars and it can be very entertaining listening to the comments of the people checking out the car. So many look under the hood (they really seem to get a kick out of the spare tire being there) and get a confused look on their face wondering where the engine is located. Then somebody will walk around toward the rear of the car and then yell out, here it is and point down to it.

I also put an Auto Arts 1:18 91 Formula Red NSX and a 1:18 Revell NSX under the hood and I have a little Johnny Lightning red NSX that I painted the roof black to match my car in the coin tray. That doesn't get me any points with the judges I don't believe, but it sure gives the kids a thrill. I believe many of them get more excited about the models.

Good luck at winning Best of Show. (I'm thinking Hawaii would be more receptive to imports)

And ditto on letting kids or even adults sit in the car... the looks on their faces and excitement is priceless.

Last edited:
Rod, you know how to do car shows...not only how to prep your car but, maybe more importantly, how to maintain the right attitude and enjoy the experience. Great summary.

a trick to getting the engine to look so new and shiney is spray WD-40 everywhere in the engine bay does not damage and does not leave a sticky film on anything after.

a buddy of mine learned it from a guy that won car shows all the time its a detailer trick.

Yeah Rod is the reason I do not go to car shows. He is way better at detailing than I am. I always lose to him :confused:

a trick to getting the engine to look so new and shiney is spray WD-40 everywhere in the engine bay does not damage and does not leave a sticky film on anything after.

a buddy of mine learned it from a guy that won car shows all the time its a detailer trick.

I use Simple Green full strength on a cold engine and Pro Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish. It makes the engine bay and front bay look factory new.

I use Simple Green full strength on a cold engine and Pro Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish. It makes the engine bay and front bay look factory new.

Will that mess with any of the finish inside the engine bay.

No...but the engine might slip right out of the bay. Also don't drive far between WD40 application and show. WD40 is a dust magnet.

This isn't just a "detailer's trick. It's also an old used car dealer's trick.

Will that mess with any of the finish inside the engine bay.

No it won't. The Simple Green will clean all the grit and grime off and the Pro Honda spray will make the rubber and plastic parts shine like they did from the factory without looking oily. When you rinse off the Simple Green, do not use a pressure spray as it will get some of the electrical components wet and you may not be able to start your car until it all dries out. The Honda spray is used by motorcyclists to clean their bikes without water and it's safe on all surfaces except brakes for obvious reasons. You can purchase it online or at your local Honda motorcycle shop.

I hate trophies... people get so wrapped up in winning car shows and not enjoying their vehicles it's somewhat crazy. At all of the big shows I've attended... winning is usually about politics ie who you know, rather than how nice/clean the the cars really are. And no, I'm not bitter in any way. Usually I just don't even register to be judged because I'd rather not get involved in all the bs.

+1, totally with you on this one Chris. In my younger days living in Chicago (still have a stash of trophies from all the car shows that are stashed in my parents basement they want to junk it) I loved winning trophies in my Eclipse. Those were the younger days of import cars where a nice set of rims would win you big points. Car wraps, TV's and the such were not even out yet. With the evolution of the internet and car forums, car shows are out of control now.

I build my cars for myself and no one else. I could care less if a judge wants to use a white glove to wipe the underside of my wheel well to see if it's clean or how many JDM parts I have with the word Mugen on it. Despite all this, I think I still won a few trophies with my NSX but I take it all in good fun. Win or not I enjoy the car shows to see what others have done.

As you mentioned many car shows are politics and the ones who know the sponsors who know the car club and hottest models win :) That's fine, one less thing for me to worry about carrying home :)

P.S. I have a few friends in Hawaii and they tell me the scene is pretty happening. A lot of girls into the modding scene over there. Around here in Cali it's most guys with their g/f in tow.

Last edited:
i used to be incredibly jealous of your green eclipse back on the dsm boards.... ahh youth lol.

+1, totally with you on this one Chris. In my younger days living in Chicago (still have a stash of trophies from all the car shows that are stashed in my parents basement they want to junk it) I loved winning trophies in my Eclipse. Those were the younger days of import cars where a nice set of rims would win you big points. Car wraps, TV's and the such were not even out yet. With the evolution of the internet and car forums, car shows are out of control now.

I build my cars for myself and no one else. I could care less if a judge wants to use a white glove to wipe the underside of my wheel well to see if it's clean or how many JDM parts I have with the word Mugen on it. Despite all this, I think I still won a few trophies with my NSX but I take it all in good fun. Win or not I enjoy the car shows to see what others have done.

As you mentioned many car shows are politics and the ones who know the sponsors who know the car club and hottest models win :) That's fine, one less thing for me to worry about carrying home :)

P.S. I have a few friends in Hawaii and they tell me the scene is pretty happening. A lot of girls into the modding scene over there. Around here in Cali it's most guys with their g/f in tow.

i used to be incredibly jealous of your green eclipse back on the dsm boards.... ahh youth lol.

Are you serious? You actually remember that car? I don't remember any DSM boards, could it be someone else?

the dsm forums, green gsx blitz wheels kaminari/stillen wing/front end if my old man memory serves me correctly. it was almost a 'brooklands green' (darker green) color. it was one of my fav 2G dsms on the forums and i was jealous as crap since i was 20-21 year old broke student at the time LOL. i wanted a talon tsi awd but i settled for an integra instead.

it had to be you!

Are you serious? You actually remember that car? I don't remember any DSM boards, could it be someone else?

Wow, I wonder if I can find that post, I seriously don't even remember I posted on a forum back then! You have great memory....I was such a ricer back then :)

On Purdue campus, look at my exhaust tip ~ omg!

i cant recall the forums name at all (prolly gone since dsms are completely extinct) but we all posted often back then (cant recall about what).

Wow, I wonder if I can find that post, I seriously don't even remember I posted on a forum back then! You have great memory....I was such a ricer back then :)

Last edited:

Holy exhaust tip! Lol

Back