• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question on Zanardi Suspension

I recently purchased an 05 NSX completely stock. I was looking at the NSX shop and noticed they offer the Zanardi suspension and indicate that it is no longer made in the USA and therefore might eventually be discontinued altogether.

The car currently has 39k miles and I dont think it will need any suspension in the near future, but if I wanted a firmer suspension down the road would this be the one to get now while I still can?

The reason I ask is that I have an s2000 and when I had to replace the struts at 90k due to leaks and wear, I simply upgraded it to the CR suspension including sway bars and have been totally happy ever since. So would I be wise to buy these now while they are available even though they might sit for a considerable time ?

I noticed they do lower the ride height a bit and as long as It wont affect me running the stock tire size . 215's front and 255's rear 17's I have no reservation.

Or would I be better to skip this idea altogether and then if they are no longer down the road pursue either stock or a different aftermarket setup ? I generally like keeping everything Honda just like my s2000 so even though changing the stock suspension it was still with Honda parts. But if there is something considerably better in the similar price range I would consider.

Thanks,

do it....I ran just the Z springs with koni yellows and likes it along with comptech sways...I think having the matching shocks would be neet. I run the R susp on my 96

Thanks for the feedback. I assume that if I did get the Zanardi suspension then I would want to swap out the sway bars as well ?

the car likes a stiffer front bar..

Thanks for the feedback. I assume that if I did get the Zanardi suspension then I would want to swap out the sway bars as well ?

If you go with the Zanardi/Type-S suspension, I recommend also going with the OEM Zanardi sway bars. Unlike your 2005, the Zanardi used a 18mm front and 19mm rear sway, which were tuned by Honda at the track to work with the revised dampers and springs. If you just buy the shocks without the sways, you will be missing on on some of that extensive OEM tuning. FWIW, many consider the Zanardi/Type-S setup to be the best factory suspension Honda ever offered for the NSX. It is a great compromise between performance and comfort. Keichi Tsuchiya himself gave up on trying to develop the Type-S suspension, as he concluded it was so good from the factory that there was nothing to tweak (though he ultimately swapped his Type-S for a NA2 NSX-R lol). Fairly high praise!

I'd just buy the 02+ type s suspension now for sure if you plan on installing later down the line. The ultimate goal after installing your type-s suspension would weight reduction of your nsx since yours is targa and the type-s is coupe.

I'd just buy the 02+ type s suspension now for sure if you plan on installing later down the line. The ultimate goal after installing your type-s suspension would weight reduction of your nsx since yours is targa and the type-s is coupe.

+1

You're probably not going to be able to reduce the weight in the same areas as the coupe. The targa also has less structural rigidity. Just enjoy the suspension.

Just to confirm Zanardi and Type-S are the same ? Also would there be any noticeable difference with Zanardi bars by themselves with the current stock suspension ? Also would Type-R sway bars be even better than the Zanarid ones with the zanardi suspension ?

Last edited:
Just to confirm Zanardi and Type-S are the same ? Also would there be any noticeable difference with Zanardi bars by themselves with the current stock suspension ? Also would Type-R sway bars be even better than the Zanarid ones with the zanardi suspension ?

Yes they are the same. There is a bit of confusion due to a Best Motoring segment comparing the 1997 and 2002 Type-S cars where Keiichi Tsuchiya implied that the 2002+ Type-S suspension had been changed from the 1997 version. However, in the video, a note appears stating that, according to Honda, no changes were made to the Type-S suspension from 1997 to 2002. Thus, Zanardi = 1997 Type-S = 2002 Type-S.

You should check out [MENTION=34522]NSX_n00b[/MENTION] on his build thread. He bought a complete Type-S suspension (including the correct sways) from Japan and will be installing it on his 1991 in the next few weeks.

Yes they are the same. There is a bit of confusion due to a Best Motoring segment comparing the 1997 and 2002 Type-S cars where Keiichi Tsuchiya implied that the 2002+ Type-S suspension had been changed from the 1997 version. However, in the video, a note appears stating that, according to Honda, no changes were made to the Type-S suspension from 1997 to 2002. Thus, Zanardi = 1997 Type-S = 2002 Type-S.

You should check out @NSX_n00b on his build thread. He bought a complete Type-S suspension (including the correct sways) from Japan and will be installing it on his 1991 in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the info I will check out that his build thread.

So a couple of things...

Yes the Zanardi and the '97-'99 Type-S suspension are the same. Whether or not the '02 Type-S suspension was changed is something I'm still finding contradictory opinions on. Honda has stated that no changes were made, HOWEVER, if you look at the P/N (either fully assembled or springs/dampers) they changed. From what I've found there are a few sources that say the springs in the '02 Type-S suspension are progressive springs instead of linear like in the Zanardi/'97-99 Type-S. For this reason the dampers were valved differently to account for the spring change which is why the damper P/N changed but it looks identical. So make of that what you want.

Now for the FUN part. Go look at my last post on my build thread (it's linked in my signature) and you'll see the only downside to choosing the OEM Zanardi/Type-S suspension ('97-99 or 02+ version). Honda no longer sells it completely assembled. You have to buy the pieces and assemble it yourself. And yes I mean ALL THE PIECES. It's a pretty extensive list and makes the suspension pretty $$$. You also have to be careful because the Type-S shares some components with the standard suspension but then has some special pieces in place of others. It took me a couple of hours of cross checking to get the list nailed down right. I will publish the whole Parts List on my build thread in the next day or so.

I originally thought assembling it all would be a fun project for [MENTION=18194]Honcho[/MENTION] and I to do. Ya...I'm quickly abandoning that plan. The fronts have a VERY specific angle of relation between the brake line bracket and the positioning of the top hat mounting bolts. Without the correct strut spring compressor and a carefully planned out jig this would be difficult to put together so I'm most likely just going to organize it all and drop it off at the dealership here in town and have them assemble it, install it (with the Type-S rear sway bar), and align it for me. I am trying to do as much DIY on this build as I can but I may have bitten off more than I can chew. Oh well.

As for the sway bars...I have the upper and lower NSX-R Front bars which I'll leave in. I think I'm still on the 91 OEM front sway bar (51300-SL0-010) as the PO of my car never said he upgraded it. The NA1 NSX-R ran a different front sway (P/N 51300-SL0-903). The sway bar was updated for the NA2, but the Zanardi/Type-S and NA2's (97-05) all ran the same front sway bar (51300-SL0-003). That is for the coupes though I should mention. There was a different front sway bar for the '95-'96 Taraga (51300-SL0-601) and then the '97-'05 Targas were all the same (51300-SL0-611). The 02+ NSX-R ran a different one (51300-SL0-R02). Since the Type-S ran the same one as the standard NSX's I'm fine not running it right now but I will have to upgrade it to take full advantage of the proper tuning. I am upgrading to the Zanardi/Type-S rear sway bar though.

The other interesting thing to note that I still have not figured out (which will not apply to Targa owners) is that the Type-S never ran a rear strut bar in the engine bay and I cannot figure out why. I have my '91 OEM one, I am currently running CRF's version, but I was considering upgrading to the NSX-R version but now knowing that the Type-S didn't run one I'm wondering if I should just pull mine out. But I don't know what repercussions (if any) that will have.

Just to confirm, you purchased your suspension from theNSXShop as well ? I did see the difference is bar sizes based on year and looking at a few of the threads I read going Type-r in the front with zinardi in the rear for 02+ model years was a option some chose given the stock rear sway bar is the same diameter for stock and type-r. Great thread. If I ended up going this route I would have the local shop SOS here do everything.

Just to confirm, you purchased your suspension from theNSXShop as well ? I did see the difference is bar sizes based on year and looking at a few of the threads I read going Type-r in the front with zinardi in the rear for 02+ model years was a option some chose given the stock rear sway bar is the same diameter for stock and type-r. Great thread. If I ended up going this route I would have the local shop SOS here do everything.

I did not go with TheNSXShop. I chose to go with the 02+ version of the Type-S suspension and Marc only had the Zanardi/Type-S version listed on his site which meant it is the '97-'99 version. I later found out that he could get the 02+ version it's just not listed on the site. I went through Amayama to purchase mine. Keep in mind that no matter who you buy from (TheNSXShop or Amayama) you will need to buy all of the other pieces as well.

My own personal preference would be to run the correct sway bars for the suspension I'm running. So while some may have run the NSX-R front sway bar with the Type-S suspension I don't know that I would. As [MENTION=18194]Honcho[/MENTION] mentioned above the suspension and sway bars are all tuned to work together so mixing and matching different specs will yield results outside of the parameters that Honda designed them for. Just something to keep in mind.

Good to know. I assumed it was a simple plug and play setup similar to how I purchased the CR Shocks and Springs kit where all one had to do was bolt it on align the car if different from current setup. From your pics on the build thread there are more parts needed something I had not considered.

Good to know. I assumed it was a simple plug and play setup similar to how I purchased the CR Shocks and Springs kit where all one had to do was bolt it on align the car if different from current setup. From your pics on the build thread there are more parts needed something I had not considered.

Unfortunately it is no longer plug and play. Years ago it was, you could order it assembled from Honda but they no longer do that. I tried ordering it assembled and was told it is no longer available from the manufacturer. But all of the individual parts are so you have to order them all and then have it assembled. Not really a big deal but it does make it more costly and time consuming.

Back