• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Questions about SoS (or really any) N/A engine builds

If you build your engine for N/A power, and you change compression or add displacement, what type of engine management change is required?

Can a 3.0L with increased compression (or increased displacement - 3.2/3.5/3.8L) use a stock ECU with a piggyback like an AEM FIC? Or do you need a full standalone engine management system like an AEM EMS?

Are some simple engine mods (like putting the 3.2 heads on the 3.0 block) possible with just a stock ECU and some adjustable cam gears to change timing?

I have used FIC systems for turbos and other engine mods on other Hondas but not gonna lie, the AEM series 2 I got from SOS kicks ass for my NSX. Just being able to tune every little thing and set up the out put trigger for my 6spd conversion for my 92 was the icing on the cake. I do not see a problem with just using a FIC for a slight displacement bump and a few bolt ons, but consider the standalone if you have an early model year nsx.

If you build your engine for N/A power, and you change compression or add displacement, what type of engine management change is required?

Can a 3.0L with increased compression (or increased displacement - 3.2/3.5/3.8L) use a stock ECU with a piggyback like an AEM FIC? Or do you need a full standalone engine management system like an AEM EMS?

Are some simple engine mods (like putting the 3.2 heads on the 3.0 block) possible with just a stock ECU and some adjustable cam gears to change timing?

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...stom_engine_program/NA_custom_engine_program/

you should use a stand alone to extract the most out of your build. otherwise, you left too much on the table untapped. The key is to have a competent tuner you can trust.
Aren't you in So. Calif.? There is Bisi, Mitch Peterson etc. for the AEM.
or
If you go HKS V-Pro, Jon K. is the best.
If you are in No. Calif., Shad is the man.

Thanks guys for your input.

Anyone know about that mod specifically?

I think its the other way around putting the 3.0 heads on the 3.2 short block bumps compression about .5

Makes sense. Can that be done with an OEM 3.2 ECU and cam gears?

3.2 heads outflow the 3.0 heads because of the 36 mm intake valve.

In addition, you have a 93 mm bore (3.2) vs. a 90 mm bore - the combustion chambers reflect that.

If you have a 3.0 and you want more power, go to a 36 mm intake valve. You can go OEM Honda or do what I did - Manley flat-faced, which is worth about a 0.2 bump in compression.

Again, is that possible without any engine management changes?

You can get away with something on the lower end (ECU + chip, or piggyback like FIC), but you would probably be leaving some power and other features on the table.

My zen master Jim Russell was saying the 3.2 head swap was possible without any engine management changes at all (not even FIC) by adjusting the timing using comptech cam gears. I was wondering if anyone else has heard/tried the same thing...

One thing i've learned... Don't take for granted the power of a good tune and good tuning software.

Like L_Rao said, you can make almost anything "work". Working optimally... that's another story :)

Getting the right power is one thing. But making it pass the sniffer in California is a whole other level of witchcraft.

What does cam timing have to do with fuel and ignition timing?

everything! well, not everything... on NSX if you are talking about changes from cam gear (usually 1 cam degree increments) then its affect on fuel/ignition map won't be huge. but for example on Honda iVTEC in K20A it allows very large cam advance on VTC (up to 50 degrees) electronically the fuel/ignition map needed can be quite large!

Ok, help me do the motor math. (Please just help me with the math and save your opinions on the overall concept/my goals for other threads... This is just a for-instance...)

Let's say I want to build a high compression 3.0L (0.5mm overbore) that runs on CA 91 pump gas, using an AEM FIC and 350-400cc injectors to retard the timing and make that safe.

The maximum amount of timing that the FIC is able to retard is -10 degrees. Stock compression is 10.2:1. What other inputs to the equation do I need to determine the relation between timing and compression? I am trying to determine the highest compression that can safely run assuming the FIC is performing the maximum amount of possible timing retardation.

I am capable of doing math (goodness knows we all have the spreadsheet for figuring out tire sizes that will appease our traction control) but I am asking what math to do.

I pulled 13:1 out of hat. Can a 3.0L 13:1 motor safely run on CA 91 pump gas with the timing 10 degrees behind stock? If not, how to determine the max safe compression?

What about if I plug in 100 oct instead of 91?

Thanks all in advance.

Ok, help me do the motor math. (Please just help me with the math and save your opinions on the overall concept/my goals for other threads... This is just a for-instance...)

Let's say I want to build a high compression 3.0L (0.5mm overbore) that runs on CA 91 pump gas, using an AEM FIC and 350-400cc injectors to retard the timing and make that safe.

The maximum amount of timing that the FIC is able to retard is -10 degrees. Stock compression is 10.2:1. What other inputs to the equation do I need to determine the relation between timing and compression? I am trying to determine the highest compression that can safely run assuming the FIC is performing the maximum amount of possible timing retardation.

I am capable of doing math (goodness knows we all have the spreadsheet for figuring out tire sizes that will appease our traction control) but I am asking what math to do.

I pulled 13:1 out of hat. Can a 3.0L 13:1 motor safely run on CA 91 pump gas with the timing 10 degrees behind stock? If not, how to determine the max safe compression?

What about if I plug in 100 oct instead of 91?

Thanks all in advance.

You are talking about static compression calculation. It is much more complex than that. Dynamic compression also takes into account cam profiles, etc that should be accounted for. Everything should be designed to work together as a well-thought-out package that takes into account your intended usage (street, track, dyno queen, etc).

For example, let's say you keep all other engine parameters the same and switch to a "high compression" piston. Unless you specifically request it, pretty much all conventional piston makers will give you a bit more valve relief to account for larger-diameter valves or camshafts that give you a bit more lift since they assume you're into that (you are, right if you're buying their aftermarket pistons). Therefore, right out of the box with an aftermarket piston designed for the stock compression ratio, you have a domed piston that protrudes more into the combustion space than the OEM piston with the same compression ratio!

If you want to increase CR, how do you do it? Increase the piston dome height further. However, this impedes combustion flame front propagation and therefore burn efficiency (and power). On top of that, you're pulling timing too. Not an ideal setup really, especially with the old 1980's combustion chamber technology in our NSX's.

Also, your engine tuning will have to account if you get a bad batch of gas. Putting in these safety factors on fuel and timing with such a radical compression ratio may ultimately lead to a poor-performing engine. Certainly wouldn't be great in the HP/$ ratio compared to other options.

Not trying to be a downer here and say not to do it, but if you do, certainly talk with others who have gone down this route to give you their feedback on driveability, etc. I honestly haven't driven a 13:1 CR NSX engine so I don't know. My experience comes from big-block 2-valve Chevy engines with wild cams, high CR, etc. If you wildly perturb one parameter, there is a tradeoff in something else.

My $0.02.

Dave

Back