• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

R-77 Paint Source?

I've been searching for some R-77 tri-coat paint online and mostly all I find is touch up pens, touch up brushes ect... I'd like to find the actual paint that you shoot with an actual paint gun in the layers starting with primer then base coat then tinted clear coat. I'm hoping it will match pretty close to my slightly faded OEM formula red. It's for my wings west front bumper and side skirts.

Does anyone who has done rebuilds or any vendors know of a decent source?

Last edited:
Why not go to a local paint and body shop supply?

I've been searching for some R-77 tri-coat paint online and mostly all I find is touch up pens, touch up brushes ect... I'd like to find the actual paint that you shoot with an actual paint gun in the layers starting with primer then base coat then tinted clear coat. I'm hoping it will match pretty close to my slightly faded OEM formula red. It's for my wings west front bumper and side skirts.

Does anyone who has done rebuilds or any vendors know of a decent source?

You should PM prime member pbassjo. He can get you set up with the correct panit.

Hmm, didn't think that was a tri-coat. Just looked it up in my PPG computer and it is, in fact, a solid red tri-coat. The mid/tint coat is pretty weak, anyway I'd go to a local paint distributor and get the paint from them. They should be able to mix off the OEM code, chip match any possible variances or use a spectrophotometer to scan the paint and possibly help adjust for any fading or color variance from the factory formula.

Should any shop be able to do that? Or more importantly willing to do that if I'm not going to have them paint it? I was just a little concerned with a middle mad up charge from a local shop vice another source.

As far as the coat goes..... Who that has shot R-77 has used tri-coat or any other methods. The parts will be low to the ground so I suppose it dosent need to be a 100.9999% match. I have a new tow hook cover that is factory formula red and it is slightly different but not noticeable if you don't get up close. I suppose the main question is what are the differences between a formula red tri coat vs. a base coat and clear coat?

talk with a bodyshop and see if they can mix the color for you, you can go to a auto paint store and ask the same of them also.

yeah what Eye candy said :) I didn't read all posts before I posted.

Last edited:
Any reputable paint shop would be able to it properly. I would trust a paint shop before ordering it randomly online...

Like I said, pbassjo has painted with R-77 and can give you the correct mix. His shop is one of the most experienced body shops for the NSX in the US.

Back