• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

R12 or R134A?

So the old AC is not blowing as cold as it used to and I'm thinking I might be a little low on Freon. The car is a '97. I'm not sure if I need R12 or the newer CFC-less R134A. I've heard from some Primers that it's R12 and I should update my system with this upgraded part 38020-SM4-A1AH so that I can convert it to R134A. And I've read in the WIKI that Acura went to the R134A system in '93 so that is what I should be topping off with and I don't need to order that upgrade and install. Can anyone say for sure which refrigerant I should be using? Thanks in advance.

There should be a sticker under the hood showing the refrigerant in your system.
I'd be very surprised if it wasn't r134a.

There should be a sticker under the hood showing the refrigerant in your system.
I'd be very surprised if it wasn't r134a.

Good call! Very small silver sticker with the smallest font ever on the passenger side. With a magnifying glass you can barely read R134A. Thanks for the assist.

Beginning with the 1993 model year, all NSX's sold in North America were equipped from the factory with R-134a refrigerant.

Back