• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Race gas + CTSC beneficial or completely pointless?

Just curious, the gas station nearby sell VP racing fuel at $6 a gallon. are there any benefits of running VP racing fuel on otherwise stock motor, low boost CTSC?

Last edited:
Not unless you get retuned for it. You can run more timing and leaner mixture with the race gas.

I'm going to go against the grain of those who have replied so far and say that "it depends". The original CTSC kit was built around the whipple blower but the new new one uses an autorotor blower which is more efficient. There are reports of the autorotor providing appreciably more boost than an otherwise similar whipple blower kit. This makes the octane more important, especially in the colder months. Some Prime members have experienced pinging when WOT in cold weather.

With the right set of circumstances, more octane could prove beneficial. Tracking your car on a hot day with a heat soaked engine? WOT on a cold day with an autorotor? My point is that the answer to your question is not absolute. I'm not saying you'll gain power, but you won't lose power that you otherwise might have and you give yourself a higher threshold for knock if you're at the track.

J

Realistically, the car should be re-tuned if using racing gas to get the most out of it. Racing gas is more oxygenated than 91 and burns easier than the standard used in the octane rating. If your using the stock ecu that is setup for 91, it may not be as beneficial.

Last edited:
Realistically, the car should be re-tuned if using racing gas to get the most out of it. Racing gas is more oxygenated than 91 and burns easier than the standard used in the octane rating. If your using the stock ecu that is setup for 91, it may not be as beneficial.

You actually have this completely backwards. :P

Higher octane means that the fuel is more RESISTANT to combustion. That's why it is better at preventing detonation.

To be honest, if your car was tuned for pump gas and does not ping, by running a higher octane fuel will probably LOSE power.

Again, because of my first statement. Because higher octane is less prone to ignition, it will not combust with the same energy output as the lower grade octane using the lower grade octane tune.

Just a heads up since I see so much misinformation passed around about race fuel and higher octane fuels vs power gains.

"It depends," but in track, spirited environments or cold climante, I don't think it hurts.

In the end it's proper tuning and A/F. Higher octane provides more insurance, but doesn't overcome a bad tune.

TRUST ME. :smile:

Back