• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Random acts of kindness

I was reminded yesterday of the satisfation I receive from a random act of kindness. As I was lurking around Cannery Row a parking lot attendant was looking at an expired meter on a nice looking Porche and I reached into my pocket and placed two quarters into the meter. At first she thought it was my car and I told her it was not and then walked over to one other car and did the same thing. Her look was worth $1.00+.

Who has found a sizeable amount of money and returned it?

I was getting something at Harbor Freight and this guy in front of me in line was buying a 3 ton floor jack. I had an extra HF 20% off coupon for one item and gave it to him. He was pretty happy saving almost $20. I see these coupons in magazines and Sunday newspaper flyers and routinely cut them out for later use by me or others.

I'll tell ya what bugs me worst. I make a point to hold a door open for anyone/everyone. Sometimes for 10/12 seconds depending on how far away they are. It really burns me when you you hold it open for long enough and the guy walks in and never even acknowledges a thanks much less even looks at you.

I'll tell ya what bugs me worst. I make a point to hold a door open for anyone/everyone. Sometimes for 10/12 seconds depending on how far away they are. It really burns me when you you hold it open for long enough and the guy walks in and never even acknowledges a thanks much less even looks at you.

I hate that too. I usually just say "You're welcome" loud enough so they hear it.

I hate that too. I usually just say "You're welcome" loud enough so they hear it.

Kindness should be its own reward. Announcing "You're welcome" turns you into a bigger douchebag than the guy who didn't say "thank you". Was that your intent?

Kindness should be its own reward. Announcing "You're welcome" turns you into a bigger douchebag than the guy who didn't say "thank you". Was that your intent?

Yes, my intent is to always be the biggest douchebag possible. :rolleyes:

Maybe my random act of kindness should be to just blurt out and call people douchebags?? How does it work for you?

Last edited:

Don't let it bother you. The act speaks to the man.

I was reminded yesterday of the satisfation I receive from a random act of kindness. As I was lurking around Cannery Row a parking lot attendant was looking at an expired meter on a nice looking Porche and I reached into my pocket and placed two quarters into the meter. At first she thought it was my car and I told her it was not and then walked over to one other car and did the same thing. Her look was worth $1.00+.

I've heard that re-metering can be illegal in some cities.

Funny to see this thread here. Just an hour ago I was at the Starbucks drive through, and paid for the order of the lady in the car behind me (and not because she was a stunner, though afterwards I discovered that). She was so grateful she followed me to the bank machine in the mall and thanked me for her latte.

Very good day. :)

Funny to see this thread here. Just an hour ago I was at the Starbucks drive through, and paid for the order of the lady in the car behind me (and not because she was a stunner, though afterwards I discovered that). She was so grateful she followed me to the bank machine in the mall and thanked me for her latte.

You sure what wasn't your wife?

I had a similar experience in a Starbucks drive-thru. A lady ahead of me paid for my drink so I paid for the person behind me. I went back a few days later and got the same cashier. Apparently that chain went on for quite sometime.

Can we get details on how she thanked you? :tongue:

I have tourettes...............Douchebag,,,,,,,,Douchebag,,,,,,crackerbarrel.....crackho...........

Here is one that always makes me think of 'Karma'. I was at a trade show in 1994 in Vegas. The bank of payphones at the event were quite busy.
I noticed one in the rear of the bank and began to dial to my office when
on the shelf where paperwork is normally placed for writing notes I saw a wallet and when I opened it was loaded with what appeared to be $700+
dollars. I placed the wallet in my briefcase. I continued making calls when a desperate looking man came looking around the payphones. He asked me if I had seen a wallet I motioned to him to hold on a moment as I was trying to finish my call. After the call I asked him what it looked like and he described it perfectly including the cash contents. I opened my briefcase looked at the ID and it matched him and handed him his wallet. He offered me a reward for being so honest and I passed. Later on the very same trip I was playing poker at the Stardust Hotel I was wearing shorts and when I crossed my legs the shallow pocket that contained money clip and $3k in cash fell to the ground below my seat unnoticed by me. A passing guest pointed it out to me.

Back