• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Random Buy Offers

Just wondering how often do you have random strangers making unsolicited, apparently serious, offers to buy your car, and have you noticed the frequency increasing or decreasing lately? I used to average a serious offer about 5-6 times a year but recently it seems I get someone giving me their card "just in case I change my mind" about once a month.

I've gotten them in the past and always wrote them off. However a few years ago I got an unsolicited offer to buy my 2004 Lotus Esprit. I told the person what I'd sell it for thinking he was a tire kicker. A few days later he wired my attorney the money and the car was sold. BTW, I made $10k on it.

A local car collector has a standing, serious interest in my NA2, should I wish to sell.

I get more unsolicited offers on my manual V wagon, though. That’s not a surprise, given there are only 514 extant. I get offers every 2-3 months and a serious offer a couple times a year. They’d have to offer me stupid money for the wagon for me to let it go.

So, just back from Kid's Day, the cars filthy, and it's too frigging hot to wash it myself, I bring it to a high end, hand car wash on Friday. A guy pulls up in at GT4Cayman, behind me. We start talking, he's got lots of cars, and asks me if I'm looking to sell the NSX. I tell him it's not for sale, unless he wants to offer me stupid money, ie. $150,000, and then it could be. He's a knowledgeable buyer, and knows he can buy for less, and I'm not a seller at "market". I'm not a seller, unless somebody wants to make me one.

I get a random offer maybe once or twice a year. Nothings ever come of it and I find it kind of strange to be honest. One guy knocked on the door to my house to make me an offer!

When you have the car serviced at the dealership - chances increase that soon after you will get a call from the dealership that someone was in the shop, saw your car and wanted to know if it's for sale.... :)

When you have the car serviced at the dealership - chances increase that soon after you will get a call from the dealership that someone was in the shop, saw your car and wanted to know if it's for sale.... :)

Bullshit. The GM wants to buy it at wholesale price and then sell it above market price. Typical stealership move.

Very rarely now, but I do live in a more rural area where it stokes more curiosity than attracts buyers.

I don’t have an interest in selling my car, but everything’s for sale for the right price.

Back